buihia

best bang for buck IEM for a newbie ?

Hi guys,

first post here, hope i dont sound noob here.. have read up a lot of threads here..

currently im using sony ex71, am looking at ER6i, and shure e2c/e2g, and also maybe UM1? the price difference between the er6i and e2g is quite alot.. so wonder if its really worth the diff..

checked at SE, $219 for er6i, and $169 for shure e2g (dunno if they have e2c).. and UM1 i forgot already..i think also under 200..

the current earphone im using...the wire near the earphones frayed..exposed..the rubber some sorta become v thin and gave way exposing the wires..im using scotch tape to cover it..

may i know for the 3 mentioned..which one is the best bang for bang? and also... important is the built of the earphones and wire...

i sometimes find the sony ex71 too bassy, altho it did a very good job when im listening to bassy songs..

i mostly listen to pop, classical, and a bit of dance... ive read up that the er6i is more of clarity and shure e2c boost bass more... out of the 3...any of them is like, best of both worlds? or rather jack or of all trades... good bass and good treble..

i know people will ask me go down have a try.. which i will do so defintely..but i think standing there n listening for less than 5 mins...den i make decision ..like no difference..so im seeking opinion of those who already owned both, or either of them...to see what they think, compared to the sony ex71, or not...

lastly, any bad thigns about getting second hand earphones? they definitely beat the mkt price like hell, but ive heard about good earphoens turning bad after they come in contact with strong magnet or something..is this true?

sorry i forgot to mention ill be using it on my PC, and 1st gen ipod shuffle, or ipod nano gen 2, but more of the first 2..

thanks in advance !!

Edited by buihia

In my opinion, the ER series is over priced in Singapore. Nevertheless, they are still rather interesting IEMs. However, looking at your preference for a jack of more (I wouldn't say all) trades, I'd go with the UM1.

The UM1 has a rather nice, tight (especially coming form Sony canals) bass. Rather liquid midrange, because it's primarily a stage monitor, but with a treble roll-off (don't worry though, it's not very obvious).

The E2, on the other hand, is overly bassy, and has a weird fit.

If you can, try as many of them as possible first, so that you can know more of how they sound.

I wouldn't recommend using any of the IEMs from a PC, especially if it has an onboard soundcard, because of the hissing problem. Both iPods shouldn't pose much a problem though.

Second-hands are good, if you can live with the fact that they were used by someone you don't know. Try looking for someone with a good history of transactions before buying. Not too sure about the magnet thing, but from what I know, I doubt the effect should be great on IEMs (balanced amatures). Not too sure about dynamic headphones though, though I doubt that there would be any horrible effect.

veyr helpful replies...um1 sounds really good then... any idea on the price range ?

btw aaron-xp, will the onboard sound card damage the earphoens in any sense, or will it just sound hissy..

thats what i tot too about overpriced ety earphones when i first saw the price diff... becoz before that i read up a lot of reviews in here about people comparing shure e2c and ety er6i... and not really that much diff..just that each excel in thier own areas... bass and treble and stuff...

also how does the clarity fare for the um1..i know it shoudnt surpass ety er6i..but comparable to it... and to shure e2c ?

how about the built of the 3, i think the um1 should be the best becoz of its braided wire?...

and also..issit possible to get an after mkt tri flange from other brands to fit onto the um1? or is there a tri flange by westone itself already..

anymore inputs will be really appreciated !! ^^

Edited by buihia

The UM1 should beat the E2 in terms of clarity by quite a margin, mainly because of it being a stage monitor. The E2 on the other hand, is really bassy, to the point that it's muddy.

It's fine using the IEM out of the onboard soundcard, not damage will be done to the IEM nor the soundcard. It's just the hissing sound from the headphone output. It gets rather irritating at times, especially in quieter passages of the track.

The UM1 has decent build quality, perhaps the best amongst the three. Microphonics is not a problem because of the braid wire. Triflanges from Buying Shure/OEM will work (I've tried them), though some say triflanges are too long. You can always cut one tip off to make them biflanges. I personally like triflanges for their great isolation, though some might find them uncomfortable (I personally enjoy them). These come with Westone Comply foam tips, which are really good for isolation and real comfy, but the cost is huge over the long run, and you'll probably need to buy either the triflange or shure flex sleeves.

The Super fi. 3 studio and iM716 are 2 other (good) choices. The iM716 is supposed to be something in between the Er6i and ER4, so you might like it. The Super fi. 3 leans towards the Westone in terms of sound.

updates for the above mentioned earphones..and for anyone who wishes to know the current prices...

went SLS today n found a few quotes..

e2c generally hovering around the range of $169 - $170++

hung brothers selling er6i for $239, e2c/e2g for $169, and UM1 for $169...

was surprised at the price of UM1..tot it'll be aroudn 180+..

anyone know the current prices at SE? i pm'ed stereo electronics, but no reply yet..maybe he busy..hehe

maybe some bros here who knows can pm me..thanks a lot !

Edited by buihia

Personally I'd suggest the UM1 over the E2C.

I'd second the fact that they have a wierd fit that to me had been uncomfortable. I didn't like the sound signature much either.

i would suggest you audition both and choose from there, its a matter of preference in music, preference in how you like your music to be presented and lastly fit.

could i interest you in a pair of well-taken-care-of UE superfi5pro? :))

i have posted an IC at the classified ad forum.

i'm not so sure whether or not this post is out of line, if it is, will the moderator please help me delete it. thanks

IEMs are really subjective. Depends on your music,preference and needs. Its best as what others say try it yourself. For me confort and sound is equally important as such I go for the UM series of IEMs. I have a ER6i and personally felt that its more detailed then my UM1 but I still used the UM cause its way more confortable. After using the UM2 I feel that the UM family has smth really different from the other IEM so far but I just cant seem to exactly describe what it is lol.

For me I think at this price range the IM716 is really good but its also the hardest to drive lol :P

Hi buihia,

I would suggest you take your MP3 player, your favorite songs and try out all the IEM that is within your budget.

I'm currently using UM1 with custom ear molds and happy with it.

I agree with the above. Drop by SE or any of the other shops and spend maybe an hr slowly testing lol. Personal preference + what you desire is important.

For me UMs for the win cause their fit is the best :P