galapogos

Cheap earphones for my Sansa

OK, so if I were to go down somewhere to audition various earphones, which would be a better choice, Jaben or Stereo Electronics? In terms of variety, price and service?

Both would be real good.

Choose what is more convenient for you. Stereo would allow you to listen many other headphones (most of which are on display), which is a real eye opener. Jaben for Uncle Wilson giving quite a bit of advice, and mainly for the quiet listening environment. (There's a wide range too, just that it's more inconvenient because a lot of stuff is still in boxes.

Thanks. I guess I'll pop by Stereo then. It's nearer to my work place. So any advice on what else I should be looking out for within my $50 budget? The OVC, JVC, Cresyn?

Edited by galapogos

i once also had the same criteria as you, but ended up expanding my budget :))

i think the 2 main contenders around the $50 range would be the OVC T20(tried them yesterday, blew me totally away for their price) and the creative ep630.

i tried both, but i would go for the OVC if i were you

but as the wisemansays, try both on before making a decision

ever considered headphones?

I hope Stereo sells the OVC then :)

I won't be able to try the EP630 in the same setting since they don't seem to have that one anywhere. I did however try a demo unit at the Creative warehouse and it was pretty good compared to my stock buds, but that's not saying a lot.

Headphones are too big for me. I want something small and unobtrusive that I can throw into a bag easily. Otherwise the Koss would also be in my list :)

OK, I'm wondering how good the Etymotic Research ER6i/ER6C are? Etymotic Research was the first in ear phones I've heard of, and my bro is coming back from the States for CNY and is able to buy them for 60-70USD. Other choices I have are the Shure E2G for ~60USD and Sennheiser CX 300S for ~55USD

Are these significantly better than the OVC/Cresyn/Creative, keeping in mind that I'm gonna be using it w/o an amp?

Thanks.

Edited by galapogos

hi sorry to hijack e thread but i've got similar questions and dun wanna kick up a fuss by creating a new thread...

i've been using a razer protones m100 for a few weeks.....i like it but it has this annoying setback...the high trebles noticeably the Ss sound very harsh and ear piercing.....

Thus i'm looking for a replacement for it...

Narrowed down to the

OVC TC20

Koss KSC 75

JVC Marshmellows

Seems like the JVC Marshmellow seem to be the best of the lot...with comfort and sound quality to be outstanding for the budget range

The OVC seems to be commented as rather flat unamp-ed and pretty average and for the KSC75...i'm worried for the comfort over long time would be a problem ( i wear specs )

Any opinions on this would be appreciated :D

and i'm pairing the phones with a iriver clix if it helps...

Actually, the Koss earclips aren't really that big.

OK, I'm wondering how good the Etymotic Research ER6i/ER6C are? Etymotic Research was the first in ear phones I've heard of, and my bro is coming back from the States for CNY and is able to buy them for 60-70USD. Other choices I have are the Shure E2G for ~60USD and Sennheiser CX 300S for ~55USD

Are these significantly better than the OVC/Cresyn/Creative, keeping in mind that I'm gonna be using it w/o an amp?

Thanks.

The UM1 was quite a big jump from the EP630. I would think that the ER6i (which has been receiving rave reviews) would be much better than the EP630/OVCs in terms of isolation and sheer detail. It would be less bassy than the rather muddy EP630, but trust me, it'd be a real good entry to the IEM realm.

Besides, if you don't really like it, you can sell it for a small lost. The ER6i costs >S$200 in Singapore. (though the one bought overseas wouldn't have local warranty). The E2 has been described as muddy and the UM1 is preferred over it if you like the midrangy/bassy sound. The CX300, in my opinion, is overrated at its price point.

Well I just auditioned the ER6i, UM1, CX 300, E2G and E630, and I actually like the CX300 best. The E2G doesn't fit my ear at all despite changing the buds, and while the UM1 is clearer, it has less bass and also has a weird way of wearing which I didn't like. I think I might get the CX300s.

Congratulations on finding your favorite then. :D

Personal preference plays a huge role. I have rather straight canals and thus prefer the IEMs for isolation (and don't find triflanges uncomfortable). The CX300 is probably the most comfortable of the lot you tested (other than the EP630, which is about the same in terms of comfort level). I must say, that IEMs take some getting used to.

Congrats again. :D

Hehe, thanks. I was really hoping and expecting the E2G to blow me away, but sadly it didn't. Despite the salesman saying the Cresyn wasn't even in the same league, I didn't feel that the E2G was that much better. He also recommended me a pair of cheaper AKGs that has a similar sound to the CX300, but it was too bassy for me. Ultimately the CX300 has the best mix for me :)

Hi Folks

I went down to Creative outlet at Marina Sq to try out the EP635. Well good mid bass projection but lack low bass extension. Vocal is dry and not as engaging. Happen to try the other earphone EP880 and find sweet highs and expressive vocal but PRAT nt as good. Hard to get something in between though unless spending beyond hundreds.

Just my personal opinion though...

:))

no pain no gain :P

the lesser u invest the lesser u gain

the lesser u invest the lesser u gain

this is VERY subjective, i wouldnt say an SR80 is inferior to a bose QC right.

galapogos, you tried the DTX50? the mylarones? or have you already bought your pair??! :blink:

if you didnt, go down to jaben and have fun with the above mentioned pairs. the Mylar ones in particular blew in-ears twice its price away IMO.good bass with good sound and details, all for a steal, this will not damge your wallet THAT badly

this is VERY subjective, i wouldnt say an SR80 is inferior to a bose QC right.

galapogos, you tried the DTX50? the mylarones? or have you already bought your pair??! :blink:

if you didnt, go down to jaben and have fun with the above mentioned pairs. the Mylar ones in particular blew in-ears twice its price away IMO.good bass with good sound and details, all for a steal, this will not damge your wallet THAT badly

well practically both OC and SR80 are 2 different things

one is active noise cancelling headphones the other is open

so can't really compare with both of them

no lah, just an example, to say that your statement is not that true lah.

for some cases, yes, more expensive is better, but in some cases, not so.

"lesser you invest, lesser you gain" might be misleading to some people.