galapogos

Cheap earphones for my Sansa

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a pair of cheap earphones to replace the ones that came with my Sansa E280. They distort are pretty low volumes especially at the low end, so I'm looking to get something that doesn't do that. What's good around the $50 mark, and where are good places where I can audition them?

Thanks!

first off, stock earbuds are never a good idea =p

now then, the usual recommendation:

-koss kcs75, clip-ons. fun-sounding, but totally non-isolating. officially 48 bucks, but you can get them cheaper from a mass order, or try to find people dumping fairly new ones at the classifieds, about 30 bucks.

- creative ep630, canal phone. good bit of bass by most accounts (read: bloated), a good start for replacement to stock buds. $35?

Thanks. I've never heard of these places. I stay around Hougang but work in Jurong East. I was walking around Best Denki during lunch hour and saw an audio technica CK-5 for under $50 too. Is that any good too?

btw I'm also looking for something that's relatively comfortable to wear. All my previous cheapo earphones that came with my portable players have given me a sore ear after wearing it for a while.

Edited by galapogos

The CK5 doesn't really get much love around here. I'd personally recommend the EP630, which can be bought at Creative's main outlet (which would be nearby in Jurong, or the Marina/Plaza Singapura branches) for about $42. Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point and Jaben at Adelphi should also carry them.

stereo electronics at causeway point, woodlands

jaben at the adelphi, beside funan

not your typical giant electronics stores, but they offer audio equipment ranging from everyday stuff to those we can only dream of buying. and auditioning too.

Cool, thanks! After some forum searching it seems like the EP630 is the best bet in this price range. How much should I hope to pay for it? radioactive28 mentioned $35 but aaron-xp says it's more expensive at $42.

Edited by galapogos

I believe Stereo (and probably Jaben) stock the EP630 at $35, BUT the Creative show rooms sell them at $42 (the last time I checked, which is some time ago.)

Enjoy it though. :D

Just went to Creative showroom today during lunch. They have a EP630 demo set but I couldn't find a new unit - only have EP635 for $45. Best Denki also only has EP635 for $49.99 I think. Called Stereo Electronics and they have neither! But the person I spoke with says it usually goes for $35/39. Also called Jaben and they don't have it either, but the guy was trying hard to convince me to go down and listen to other better earphones...

Hmm, where else can I find the EP630?

Edited by galapogos

I don't think you have much of a choice now (as in to get a better price), though Hung Brothers in Sim Lim Square may have them.

There are definitely many better earphones than the EP630, it just depends on the price you are willing to pay. Some other canalphones in the same price range to consider is the OVC T range which is rather popular now, and the JVC marshmallows. Beyerdynamic has a new canalphone, though I'm not too sure about the price.

Jaben's right about trying out other headphones. There are many that are so much better, only, you capped your budget at $50.

If you're worried that trying out the better stuff may harm your wallet, then it's probably better to keep away. If not, as they say in Head-Fi - welcome, and sorry about your wallet =p

Well I actually won't mind paying the MRSP for them since it's still within my $50 budget, except I can't even find them in stock! And yes my budget is fixed and unwavering... :)

I've heard something about a Creslyn within my price range? And where's OVC from?

Edited by galapogos

The Creysn is probably the E630 (which I heard is somewhat like the EP630, except that it is not as bassy, then again, this is based on my somewhat faulty memory).

The OVC is from China, and has been receiving quite a bit of rave reviews in Singapore.

Hi Folks

I went down to Creative outlet at Marina Sq to try out the EP635. Well good mid bass projection but lack low bass extension. Vocal is dry and not as engaging. Happen to try the other earphone EP880 and find sweet highs and expressive vocal but PRAT nt as good. Hard to get something in between though unless spending beyond hundreds.

Just my personal opinion though...

:))