dev d bhatt

Bose Atlas sound system

Hi all,

my friends b'day is coming up next wk, and i was thinking of gettign him an Atlas sound system (if im not wrong is from BOSE , right?)

He's a good friend of mine and is into good music!

Basically what i needed was something compact for him to put into his office (private office) where he can just chill and listen to the music.

Do u guys have any other recommendations from BOSE systems, besides the Atlas, that i should consider? and where may i get them here in SG?

thanks so much for the help guys, i really appreciate it!!!

Dev

I hope you already know that Bose systems are widely considered by the serious audiophile community to be worth less than their asking price? And I'm not just talking about the headphone community..

ask your friend if he like bose speakers... if he like it than just get it for him...

no point getting something that the whole audiophile community give praise but end up he does not like it...

as i always says, sound is subjective... if u like it, just get it....

I hope you already know that Bose systems are widely considered by the serious audiophile community to be worth less than their asking price? And I'm not just talking about the headphone community..

I think the opinion is not that Bose doesn't sound good but that it cost too much for the sound quality it has. In Singapore, Atlas Audio has marketed Bose as an up-market statement brand. Which also means more $$$

ask your friend if he like bose speakers... if he like it than just get it for him...

no point getting something that the whole audiophile community give praise but end up he does not like it...

as i always says, sound is subjective... if u like it, just get it....

I'm willing to bet he'll say yes simply because he hasn't heard of other brands. Rega, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale, KEF, etc. The proper way to do it would be to teach him what to hear for, because it's possible to think that something sounds awesome the first time you hear it, only to discover lots of flaws as you listen to it more and more over the weeks, months, or years. After you've taught him that, let him sample different systems.

Hey guys!

thanks for all the feedback =) really appreciate it!

ok i think ill go with the advice of lettin him hear diff systems out and deciding it 4himself!

and i guess ill need to do more research on the price vs quality of BOSE :)

cheers!

Dont get BOSE period. Need something small for the office? Get a mini-compo from Denon. Monitor Audio also sells a rather nifty iPod dock with amp and speakers. This will save you lots of money and you'll probably get the same sound.

I dislike BOSE because of its sound - the bass is always seperated/disjoined from the mids and highs. For background music it's okay. This applies to the systems with a seperate subwoofer with sat speakers. If you're talking about the wave radio - that's not too bad but I would and have got a Tivoli Radio.

BTW the parts inside it are of the cheapest quality. I have opened up one to take a look (although that was about 5 years ago).

I'm willing to bet he'll say yes simply because he hasn't heard of other brands. Rega, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale, KEF, etc. The proper way to do it would be to teach him what to hear for, because it's possible to think that something sounds awesome the first time you hear it, only to discover lots of flaws as you listen to it more and more over the weeks, months, or years. After you've taught him that, let him sample different systems.

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment :lol:

Dont get BOSE period. Need something small for the office? Get a mini-compo from Denon. Monitor Audio also sells a rather nifty iPod dock with amp and speakers. This will save you lots of money and you'll probably get the same sound.

I dislike BOSE because of its sound - the bass is always seperated/disjoined from the mids and highs. For background music it's okay. This applies to the systems with a seperate subwoofer with sat speakers. If you're talking about the wave radio - that's not too bad but I would and have got a Tivoli Radio.

BTW the parts inside it are of the cheapest quality. I have opened up one to take a look (although that was about 5 years ago).

x2 to that. sonically, BOSE sounds not high not low, in fact their jewel-cube satellites are overhyped. but some establishments are using their BOSE business music systems (i last remembered Paragon installed their white cubes in their mall). to spend >3k on 5 satellites, one music centre and one bass module is crazy where other makes can have it at a fraction of their price.

but i like their RF remote that works thru walls unlike most IR ones that require line-of-sight.

Yeah I forgot about that! The remote control is great. It works even when you are in a differnt room and colse the door! But 3K for a remote? LOL

Malls I'm sure dont pay retail and it's a slightly different system. Besides the "music" in malls is there to supress the noise level (from the shoppers).

Hi all,

my friends b'day is coming up next wk, and i was thinking of gettign him an Atlas sound system (if im not wrong is from BOSE , right?)

He's a good friend of mine and is into good music!

Basically what i needed was something compact for him to put into his office (private office) where he can just chill and listen to the music.

Do u guys have any other recommendations from BOSE systems, besides the Atlas, that i should consider? and where may i get them here in SG?

thanks so much for the help guys, i really appreciate it!!!

Dev

Hi Dev,

Why not get your friend and you to go down to Atlas to listen/try? For alternative, other forumers have already given ample of it to you.

I had gone to Atlas twice to listen to the Bose lifestyle(5.1 HT), which I think that it is good(subjectively).

Lifestyle series is at least $3k and above which I personally think that it is overpriced. $1.2k to $1.5k may be acceptable for me. :yes:

Okay let me tell u guys a true story. Back in the late 70s I became a customer of Atlas Hi-Fi (when the late Mr. Tien was running the show). At that time they sold stuff like Rogers Speakers and Amplifiers, Linn, Dual TT and VDH etc. I have been buying stuff from them since then (off and on). In the late 90s I got married and my wife twisted my arm to get the Bose Lifestyle series. She liked them very much (their looks). Of course in my home there lived a poor man's system (Thorens TT, Rotel RCD-855 RA-820BX4 Amp and a Cyrus 780. The Bose system was about 3 times the price. After hearing the bose for about a month, my wife told me how much better my room system sounds. When I told her the price of the Thorens/Rotel/Cyrus combo and the fact that this system was more then 7 years old, she asked what could make this system sound even better. So for my birthday she got me a Audiolab 8000. When I went back to Atlas the then old Mr Tien gave me wry smile and said, young man it's good that you tried to please your wife...when I told another of the Tien's that Bose sucks another of the Tien's remarked ah but for background music the Bose has got good looks. He too said it with a smile. So I kep buying Kimbers from them but never again a bose. BTW if you go to their workshop, you'll see the technician sweating under a mountain of Bose. And if you ever open one up you'll see how cheaply it's made. Their CD unit was basically a portable CDP (I kid you not).

But I take my hat off to Mr. Bose He emigrated from India to the US and built a brand many think is German in origin. LOL

--OT alert--

Ah Rameish, I think we are of the same generation. I bought my Linn Sondek, Meridian amps and Linn Kans from Colin Tien in 1981. Colin is the elder Tien's first son. Colin subsequently emigrated to Canada.

--back on track--

I understand the Bose speakers uses cheap paper cones but they sure cost a fortune to replace. And they do need to be replaced now and then. Remembered there was some lawsuits in the earlier years when Bose sued certain audiophile magazines for trashing their systems based on sound tests. And Bose won the case, subsequently, no one dared to trash their products. Great marketing! Dunno the sound.

--OT alert--

Ah Rameish, I think we are of the same generation. I bought my Linn Sondek, Meridian amps and Linn Kans from Colin Tien in 1981. Colin is the elder Tien's first son. Colin subsequently emigrated to Canada.

--back on track--

I understand the Bose speakers uses cheap paper cones but they sure cost a fortune to replace. And they do need to be replaced now and then. Remembered there was some lawsuits in the earlier years when Bose sued certain audiophile magazines for trashing their systems based on sound tests. And Bose won the case, subsequently, no one dared to trash their products. Great marketing! Dunno the sound.

i have heard the sound. For any non audiophiles its a wow experience. Imagine driving a toyota corolla all your life and suddenly started driving a sports car. They have impressive sounds that fool the untrained ears. And their marketing make them look high class but they are actually below mid class.

for audiophiles, they are not worth more than $300 period. Muddy midrange, no extreme frequencies. Ask your friend what kind of speakers he is using now. If he is having some crap speakers - i doubt he really is into music then juz get the bose.