Sign in to follow this  
erickoh

Any serious mp3 listeners?

Like.. if you listen to mp3s a lot, and have a strong preference for well encoded mp3s..

Not those 128kbps you download over kazaa etc.

Can I have a show of hands? yeah.gif

me! well sorta. I favour 256kps mp3s, and actually most of my music's lossless files eg. monkey audio.

if I have a CD I'll rip it to the comp to listen anyway yes.gif

Should have used the 'Poll'.

Not for me, unless I'm looking for songs to sample before buying the CD. I do searches for 192kbps & above only.

i like to rip from CDs to MP3s and play it in my laptop smile.gif

i did do CD copy, and listen to the copied CD in my laptop as well.

do these count?

normally if i copy cds into comp, i'll convert it to mpc instead of mp3 for slightly better quality. if not, its lossless for me.

I have around 4GB worth of mp3 (128~256k) if that counts. Most are ripped from my CD collection for loading to my iPod. I seldom listen to them anymore wink.gif

I'll be trying out different compression formats soon including the so called "lossless" *cough*

Zen,

Do you have a direct link to iPods and mac's "lossless" *cough* ripping?

I can't seem to do a successful search rolleyes.gif

Thanks!

hey don't laugh at 'lossless' codecs ok. apparently if you decompress an .ape file to a .wav file and do a bit to bit comparison, it'll be identical to the original .wav! wink.gif

heh for me 192 kbps and above is the way to go. I still favour 128 kbps for most japanese/chinese/korean mp3 because it's damn hard to get them at 192 kbps and above.

for english mp3s.. I will try and get 192 kbps usually...

I'm just a little apprehensive when it comes to ripped music having coming from a speakerd Fi generation. I am willing to try anything within my resources, that's just the geek in me. But I have to say my experiences with mp3 leaves alot to be desired. tongue.gif

mat, out of what soundcard? wink.gif that's the question.

Even my yamaha soundcard sounds good for mp3. Very quiet even with etys. Usually there will be hiss with other cards but mine is almost totally silent. That tells you how the soundcard has improved over the years.

I am sure revo is a few steps ahead from mine. Plus, those who reviewed the revo ripped them at lossless format and compare to the budget cd players. They prefer revo.

Coming from mp3 society, I would say it's the way to go. I am confident that a few years later they will be able to replace those low-mid end cdps . Of course don't talk about hi end cdps because that cost thousands..

But for <$500 cdp, I am sure it will be on par, if not, comes very close, with the right ripping procedures.

For me, nothing beats the convenience of having all your songs and be able to listen to them at one click. I kinda hate the hassle when you want to listen to just 1 or 2 songs on a particular cd and another 2-3 on the other. whereas with mp3 for eg, you can make a playlist or some sort.

Edited by Blues