MARCPKH

Senn PX100 VS Audio Tech ES5

Dear Headphonephiles

I am looking at a upgrade headset for my Samsung MP3 YPT-55.

Since it is merely an entry MP3 player, i am looking at a 100 bucks headphone. Reviews are strong for Senn PX100 & AKG 81 but not Audiotech ES5. When i try auditing the headphones in courts megamall recently, i noticed that the PX200 (closed pack version of PX100) had hardly any bass even though the highs & mid are good. PX100 gives very loose bass which make the sound a bit muddy but still better bet than the PX200. I found the Audiotechnica excel in the bass which is deep & tight but the highs are too sharp for my likings but still revealed more details than the senn. I regretted not having the chance to test out both for vocal weights but read in some reviews that ES5 is a complete lack-down in the vocal category. Hope some gurus here can gove some comments on this. I am into instrumentals & new age & jazz.

Thanks

Marc

For the PX200 to give good bass you have to ensure a good seal all around. Since the ear cup is small, you need to adjust the position to get this seal.

imo, the akg 81's eats the px100 for breakfast, the px200 for lunch, and the es-5 for dinner.

i tried all 4 of them, and the akg was the clear winner, not to mention the sturdy construction that all 3 others lack.bass-wise, there was hardly a fight as the akg was thumping hard and clean with clean tight punchy bass.

i listen mainly to rock and metal, so i am in fact a basshead, but for clarity wise, i have to admit the es-5 came out tops, however slightly so imo

btw will you be using it at home? or for your portable rig, cause this is posted in the home equipment section........

best to try them out yourself, but i would go for the akg's(note, slightly biased poster as he owns a pair of 81's :P )

why not head down to jaben network and try it out? :dance:

Dear Kevyan

It seem that the review does not speak well of your ES5 lei. Well i personally does not like the PX200 due to the weak bass output but since i am more into vocal & jazz, ES5 may not be a good choice too. Maybe i should stay with the PX100 even though it is less detailed than the PX200.

Any inputs for Koss Portapro? How does it match against the PX100? I believe a good headgear should have the mid of px100 & tight bass of ES5 & WARMNESS of AKG 81P :))

give the akg an amp, like what i did(LDM+)

it will blow you totally away!!!

bass-wise, maybe its me, but i do feel that the akg eats the es-5 for lunch

Do you need a closed phone for isolation?

After using my AKG K81DJ almost daily, i now find open phones too, er, open. Ambient noise is a bummer. Esp for commute.

no offence but somehow i find the k81 so boomy and bass heavy that it causes fatigue.

each to his own, i cant say its not boomy for you cause its not my ears :thumbup:

its all up to personal taste, therefore the need for auditioning :rclxms:

forums are just but a place for you to get a general idea of what you can get, and what you may like, but its the auditioning thatshould make your decision!!

MARCPHK, still think you should take a trip down to jaben or SE to try out the headphones listed here :))

each to his own, i cant say its not boomy for you cause its not my ears :thumbup:

its all up to personal taste, therefore the need for auditioning :rclxms:

forums are just but a place for you to get a general idea of what you can get, and what you may like, but its the auditioning thatshould make your decision!!

MARCPHK, still think you should take a trip down to jaben or SE to try out the headphones listed here :))

Dear ALL

Many thanks for all who had responsed to my posting. I am glad i was recommended this forum when i post the same message in the echoloft forum last week. Well i will definitely head down to Stereo to check it out the various options but hope it will not offend the dealer there since auditioning may take some time. I was v glad that courts megamall allowed consumers like us to try out the headpieces at our own pace not like Harvey Norman or Best Denki which just push you to buy with their non-professional recommendations.

Nevertheless, when considering a headphone, drivability is also important since i had tried my MP3 with Senn HD212 PRO and i need to set the player to max vol to get the bass out. Tis will definitely drain the battery and the player will not last long. So i will stick to the easy driven headphone like ES-5 or PX100. Didnt really check out the earphone though and it seem sony EX51LP has good reviews too.

Just my personal opinions

CHEERS

Marc

havnt heard the px100 (its an open can btw) but despite the lack of love for the ATH ES5 here, i personally like it quite a bit. its closed (cuts out quite abit of ambiant noise), very dynamic, good clarity and decent bass extention/impact with very pleasant highs. IMO the ES5 is very musical with a ever so slight emphasis on mid range so its good with vocals2.

if theres a bug, its the comfort issue for me. the headband is basically a coiled metal band wrapped in plastic and is held on ur head by the force of the coiled metal band. the pro is that the headband doesnt have to touch (hence wont mess up ur hair :doh: ) the top of the head at all. the downfall is that the headband is basically non adjustable. after a while, i do feel the pressure on the ears :rolleyes: .

otherwise, the ES5 is bulletproof in build quality. makes a great alternative to the ksc75 IMO.

ps:IMO burn-in smooths out the treble quite abit.

Dear Kevyan

It seem that the review does not speak well of your ES5 lei. Well i personally does not like the PX200 due to the weak bass output but since i am more into vocal & jazz, ES5 may not be a good choice too. Maybe i should stay with the PX100 even though it is less detailed than the PX200.

Any inputs for Koss Portapro? How does it match against the PX100? I believe a good headgear should have the mid of px100 & tight bass of ES5 & WARMNESS of AKG 81P :))

Well.... it's a review.

I read a few reviews and I still go ahead with ES5. I must say that I have no regrets buying it. I like the sound it produce, good clarity, the mid and high is good, though the bass may not be as strong as some wanted, but I agree with 'scottiebabie', it does has a decent bass.... you should try it (but oh.... mine is already burn in, so it sound much better now). To sum it up, I feel ES5 sound is clean to me, well.... I must repeat that.... clean TO ME.

havnt heard the px100 (its an open can btw) but despite the lack of love for the ATH ES5 here, i personally like it quite a bit. its closed (cuts out quite abit of ambiant noise), very dynamic, good clarity and decent bass extention/impact with very pleasant highs. IMO the ES5 is very musical with a ever so slight emphasis on mid range so its good with vocals2.

if theres a bug, its the comfort issue for me. the headband is basically a coiled metal band wrapped in plastic and is held on ur head by the force of the coiled metal band. the pro is that the headband doesnt have to touch (hence wont mess up ur hair :doh: ) the top of the head at all. the downfall is that the headband is basically non adjustable. after a while, i do feel the pressure on the ears :rolleyes: .

otherwise, the ES5 is bulletproof in build quality. makes a great alternative to the ksc75 IMO.

ps:IMO burn-in smooths out the treble quite abit.

Hi scottiebabie, the ES5 is actually adjustable, not by the normal way of pulling the headband but by rotating the housing. If you find it pressing too hard on your head, what you can do is to stretch it.

For the first few days, I stretch my ES5 by stretching it and hanging it on my ironing board, after a few days, it begin to loosen up. Now, it feels much better, at time, you will not know you are wearing it.

Edited by kevyan

Dear Head-fiphiles

I went down to Hung bros to check out the AKG K81 & K26P. First impression is that the K81 look better but the bass can be overwhelming and cover a bit on the highs. The K26P is less comfortable to wear but the bass is tighter and the highs & mid clearer. When compare with ES5, the K26P sound more real but less airy. tOUGH choice betw the two but i must add that the price of K26P at 69 bucks is quite appealing though.

Any comments from those who had compared the two cans(K26P & ES5)? I am into new age & jazz vocals

Regards

Marc

hmm... i've heard the K26/K27 with the K81 before and my conclusions were opposite to yours. To me, the K26's sound was flabby and loose... basically :yuck: .

I think the K81 you tried had the central foams covering the driver. The foams have the effect of muffling the treble (which consequently emphasizes the bass). Removing them improves treble clarity immensely. This is the only reason i can think of that the K26 would give you better treble than the K81.

Also, burning-in tames the K81's bass considerably. It also improves the K81's comfort level...

hmm... my recent posts seem to have been all about the K81 :rolleyes: