Sign in to follow this  
Username

Silly Question...

I bought a Sonic Impact T-amp (pending delivery) and I wanted to get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, I know that KEC carry the Wharfedale and wanted to go down soon to audition the speakers. Do you think it would be silly to bring my own T-amp down to audition the speakers?

I am kind of afraid that the shop owner will think that this young boy is trying to be funny. I am serious in investing in a pair of speakers and not there just there to "touch" and not buy.

Also I know nothing about speaker wires, what should I look out for?

I told you this is a silly question but I feel I must ask... :blush:

I think you will find the sales people will take you seriously and not someone wasting your time. Very good idea and why not take your own CDs as well?

Speaker cables - very personal and subjective field. Got very expensive to low cost. There are some people who swear by Cat 5 wire which is easy to get. Do a google on this and maybe you can try it.

Call them, make an appointment and go down on time. Sales people would be stupid to turn away a real customer who bothers to bring down his stuff to audition. Speaker cables wise you can try to get a pair of second hand Kimber 4 PR. You dont need fancy bananas or spades just bare wire ends. Just keep the bare wires clean and obviouly dont let there be any stray stands of wire.

Thank you all for the suggestion, I also want to find out if there are any things to look out for when auditioning a pair of speakers? How about speaker stands, I want to get a pair of bookshelf speakers and I intend to put them on stands. What are the traits of a good speaker stand?

One which is solid, ie not liable to rock or otherwise move. Some people have even fill up the empty space within frames with sand, to cut down on vibrations.

Many of the cheaper stands for home theatre, for example, are too flimsy. If they move when the speaker cones are moving, some of the dynamics will be lost, esp the lower end.

Thanks! Also I am running on shoestring budget ($600 MAX for speakers, speaker wires and stands). Is it possible to get a decent speaker stand at say $100? (I know I am cheap... :P).

IPB Image

Here! I got a pair of Wharfedale Crystal 10 and a pair of speaker stands (<3)

IPB Image

Glory shot. I know that there are better speakers out there, but I am contended with this (wanted to get the Diamond 9.1 but they didn't have stock to test). You know it when you are tapping your feet to the groovy music. :)

Btw, the speakers are at least >20cm from the rear wall, the picture is kind of misleading.

Edited by Username

Congrats, very nice. If you want to go into something better than the T-Sonic amp and don't mind diy, get the kits from 41Hz. Recommended.

Edited by heady