blitzkrieg

Recommend a noise cancellation headphone

I would like to buy a good pair of noise cancellation headphone for air travel.

I have been looking at Seinheisser and Bose but former will change model soon whereas the latter is really expensive at $550!!

I have tried Creative noise cancellation hp ($49) but it is uncomfortable and not good enough.

My budget is $300. Can anybody recommend?

Do you mind using In-ear earphones (otherwise know as IEMs, or In-ear Monitors). They isolate much better than noise-cancellation headphones, though some might not like something stuffed into his/her ear (I personally find them rather comfortable).

A model within the budget would be the UM1 ($160+) and ER6i ($200+), though I am sure that there are others within the budget.

just to add to aaron's recommendations...you definitely want to get a pair of iems. They might get a little uncomfortable but you'll get used to it. On the plane nothing beats them

you can head down to either stereo electronics or jaben. both shops have a very good range of iems well within your budget...basically sound quality wise people don't really go for noise-cancelling headphones, because they say it distorts the sound. I myself have never tried one of these, no money.

one of aron's recommendation also, u can go for ATH ANC-7 it looks quite like Bose QC and the

SQ is better then QC's + its design for on the go use

and i fits your budget totally if i am not wrong the price is $309*correct me if i am wrong*

-back to cabal-

Edited by Xiao_Catz

IEM is the way to go. Forget about noise cancelling if you want quality. Plus if and when you do upgrade there's a ready market for IEMs.

Put it another way

IEM are for music lovers and audiophiles

Noise Cancelling headphones are for people who listen to background music

Take what I say with a pinch of salt ya ;-)

I do have an observation though. The sound cancelling phones allow you to hear announcements as they cancel only the engine noise. IEMs, you can't hear anything.

I don't know but I think announcements can be important. At least, I like to know if turbulence etc is expected.

if you're using the airline's audio with your iems though, like watching a movie, rest assured you'll hear it, as it will be played through system.

Careful though when you think an announcement is coming, and take the iems out quickly. For some reason they are very, very loud.

IEM is the way to go. Forget about noise cancelling if you want quality. Plus if and when you do upgrade there's a ready market for IEMs.

Put it another way

IEM are for music lovers and audiophiles

Noise Cancelling headphones are for people who listen to background music

Take what I say with a pinch of salt ya ;-)

Thanks for the advice. Just curious, if IEMs are so good, why are the big boys making noise cancellation headphones, which are heavier and so much more expensive than IEMs. Besides, if IEMs are so good, why Grado and Stax are not into IEMs.

Just curious :))

Careful though when you think an announcement is coming, and take the iems out quickly. For some reason they are very, very loud.

a volume attenutor will fix the prob :D

Thanks for the advice. Just curious, if IEMs are so good, why are the big boys making noise cancellation headphones, which are heavier and so much more expensive than IEMs. Besides, if IEMs are so good, why Grado and Stax are not into IEMs.

Big boys into noise cancellation? I can't really think of many of the "big boys" who make active noise cancellation stuff, other than Sennheiser, which I think markets these noise-cancellation headphones to business travelers rather than the audiophile. Since the average business traveler would not mind less than perfect sound, but needs noise cancellation, he would be looking at the noise-cancellation models. Also, these business travelers may find the idea of IEMs rather silly, given that they look rather uncomfortable, and although they may sound better, it isn't much of an upgrade to them.

Stax does make IEMs, in the form of SR-001, though it is not very portable when you factor in the amplifier needed. Grado, on the other hand, is a family-based business which does not aim to build it itself into a mega-big company, hence, it chooses to focus on it's supra-aural headphones.

Most other big headphone companies do make IEMs/canalphones, think of Audio Technica with the CK7/9, Beyerdynamic with the DTX50, Sennheiser with the CX300.

The only other company I can think of which does not make IEMs/canalphones is Ultrasone.

I guess the companies are focussing on what they do best. Take for example, Ety's, Shure's, UEs, and Westone's business model focusses on the IEM market while the others build their customer base with full-sized headphones. But I believe that the IEM market is growing, hence Senn's entry with the CX300.

I do agree that noise-cancellation phones are targetted at people who are not especially picky about the quality of music that they listen to. These people, IMHO, just want to get some "peace and quiet" during their journey. Coincidentally, these people are also those who have higher puchasing power. Hence the higher price =)

I guess the companies are focussing on what they do best. Take for example, Ety's, Shure's, UEs, and Westone's business model focusses on the IEM market while the others build their customer base with full-sized headphones. But I believe that the IEM market is growing, hence Senn's entry with the CX300.

I do agree that noise-cancellation phones are targetted at people who are not especially picky about the quality of music that they listen to. These people, IMHO, just want to get some "peace and quiet" during their journey. Coincidentally, these people are also those who have higher puchasing power. Hence the higher price =)

I travel a lot by plane and I would prefer to get a pair of cans to quieten the surrounding, so that I can sleep properly. IEMs, all the while, I thought it was for kids during those walkman days but I did not know that micro engineering has come a long way. I will get both. I have made up my mind for the AN-07, though its a tad heavier than Bose.

But for IEM, if I get a good pair, I am afraid it will amplify more distortion from my ipod, which already sounds terrible with the stock headphone. Besides, are there study that show IEMs cause more damage to hearing than a good conventional headphones for the same loudness?

I think IEMs are not as effective as the noise cancelling headphones in removing engine noise. I have worn both before and while the IEMS are very good in reducing all noise, the engine noise because it is low, it is also transmitted thru the body so can be heard.

The NC phones on the other hand removes them almost completely but has much less effect on higher frequency noises. I didn't have a chance to compare SQ of the NC phones (Sennheiser) with my IEMs. Didn't bring them along for the flight.

^ Hearing aids are much like IEMs, if IEMs would damage hearing, hearing aids would probably do the same. This is pretty much anecdotal evidence, so don't take it seriously.

The problem with the ipod sounding bad with the stock buds is the buds, not the ipod. There should be no problem with the IEM iPod combination, unless you are really the ultra discerning listener.

The problem with the ipod sounding bad with the stock buds is the buds, not the ipod. There should be no problem with the IEM iPod combination, unless you are really the ultra discerning listener.

Well, that would depend on the encoding of your music too :P

Anyway, one reasonably affordable way to increase the SQ would be to get a line-out dock for your ipod. BUT that would entail the purchase of an amp :rclxub:

Haha. This is an expensive hobby, isnt it? :cry: