blitzkrieg

Recommend a noise cancellation headphone

Thanks for the advice. Just curious, if IEMs are so good, why are the big boys making noise cancellation headphones, which are heavier and so much more expensive than IEMs. Besides, if IEMs are so good, why Grado and Stax are not into IEMs.

Just curious :))

You pay a premium for IEMs (ie sound for pound it isnt that great a value) but hey have you ever tried using a Senn HD-600 or Grado SR-80 on a plane? Okay so you need some isolation and say IEM and noise cancelling headphones are not your cup of whiskey. The althenative is closed/sealed headphones like the Beyer DT-250 or Sony 7056. But I think you'll find them less satisfactory then IEMs for plane/train/bus journeys. And for heavens sake keep the seat belt on. So you dont have to listen to the announcements about turbulance etc. If somthing is going to go really wrong the seat belt aint going to help. Frequent Flyer Programmes should really look into offering IEM as part of their rewards scheme. LOL

just to add to aaron's recommendations...you definitely want to get a pair of iems. They might get a little uncomfortable but you'll get used to it. On the plane nothing beats them

you can head down to either stereo electronics or jaben. both shops have a very good range of iems well within your budget...basically sound quality wise people don't really go for noise-cancelling headphones, because they say it distorts the sound. I myself have never tried one of these, no money.

I have had the ANC7 for about two weeks now. It is very good for the price. I got mine for a little less than 150$ US including shipping. Love the dynamic range that I can get at work where my background if right at 64 dB.

I think IEMs are not as effective as the noise cancelling headphones in removing engine noise. I have worn both before and while the IEMS are very good in reducing all noise, the engine noise because it is low, it is also transmitted thru the body so can be heard.

The NC phones on the other hand removes them almost completely but has much less effect on higher frequency noises. I didn't have a chance to compare SQ of the NC phones (Sennheiser) with my IEMs. Didn't bring them along for the flight.

Agreed fully. I have tried UE SF5Pro, Sennheiser PXC-250 and a set of latest Sony NC earphone (NC22) and in terms of sound quality, UE wins. If you are not playing any music on the plane, Sony gives the best overall NC, beating the UE by a small margin...

Now it all boiled down to what's more important, SQ, NC and $$...

I have only used three noise isolation earphones and headphones.

1) SuperFi 5 Pro

2) Beyerdynamic DT250

3) Audio Technica ATH-A900

Since the A900 is too large for portable use, that's out.

So if you do not mind using IEMs then I would recommend the SuperFi's else the Beyers are not too shabby. (Just change the cables as they are fugly coiled ones.)

Hope it helps.

Sennheiser has a new top of the line Noise canceling headphone PXC450... Should be pretty good since it use the HD555 drivers ...

I disagree that NC headphones are not meant for audiophile. In the aircraft enviornment a NC headphones give a wider dynamic headroom than any other headphones.

I travel often and I have owned at least 5 NC models.

To me, the best NC headphones is the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 if you are serious about sound. The newer and more expensive model Quiet Comfort 3 cannot make it, in my opinion, because of lack of treble. If you need something smaller, the Sennheiser PXC300 give good hi-Fi sound with limited bass. The cheaper PXC250 cannot make it either.

Sony...forget it.

I am toying with a Sony MDR-SA1000 at home now.....

(Audio)

I disagree that NC headphones are not meant for audiophile. In the aircraft enviornment a NC headphones give a wider dynamic headroom than any other headphones.

I travel often and I have owned at least 5 NC models.

To me, the best NC headphones is the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 if you are serious about sound. The newer and more expensive model Quiet Comfort 3 cannot make it, in my opinion, because of lack of treble. If you need something smaller, the Sennheiser PXC300 give good hi-Fi sound with limited bass. The cheaper PXC250 cannot make it either.

Sony...forget it.

I am toying with a Sony MDR-SA1000 at home now.....

(Audio)

Best NC headphone is a Bose? :shocking: Are you serious? May be I should bring my rig down to Atlas Hifi and asked for a demo :rolleyes:

IEMs are small and thus cant haf the sophisticated driver that headphones have. Thats proberbly y stax uses a headphone instead. As the rest have pointed out IEMs are the way if u want noise cancelling. Plus they are small and portable. Hence suitable for air travel. Gd IEMs are like shure,UE and westone. U can get most of the models under $300. Haha but their flightship models cost much more than 300.

Just realize the Sennheiser PXC450 retailed for US450 ... :shocking:

Wonder how much will it cost in SG... :sweat:

Edited by hnx676

As the rest have pointed out IEMs are the way if u want noise cancelling.

Sorry, but don't IEMs block/isolate noise rather than cancel noise?

End of the day, both provide similar end results, just through different means ...

Active NC will be better against engine sound though. Passive NC like IEM would be good for general usage lol. If you ask me, IEM is for the general public who dont mind putting stuff in their ears while active NC is for business traveller who frequently flies. NC phones can sound pretty good btw. They arent that far of from general IEM but of course dont have the qualities of the high ends.

Sorry, but don't IEMs block/isolate noise rather than cancel noise?

Opps sorry wrong english. But i thought they ar the say thing. Both mean u hear less ambient noise rite?

Opps sorry wrong english. But i thought they ar the say thing. Both mean u hear less ambient noise rite?

Hi, you have to try to spell properly or others won't understand what you are trying to say. For example, your second and third sentences above are not really comprehensible. Or as PCK said, catch no ball. :))

I would venture this interpretation:

But I thought they are the same thing. Both have the same result - that you hear less ambient noise - right?

simple singlish/typos la friends...