Sign in to follow this  
blurgal35

what is the proper way to wear in-earphones?

actually, what is the proper way to wear in-ear / ear canal earphones?

everyone says that it blocks out some ambient noise.. but it did'nt happen to me..

when i shoved the earphones deep into my ears, it did block out noise and when i talk,

i 'hear myself'. the SQ was much better (potential of earphone is maximised).

BUT my ears felt very uncomfortable. as if im gonna do harm to my ears.

dun tell me that IS the right way to wear it?

actually, what is the proper way to wear in-ear / ear canal earphones?

everyone says that it blocks out some ambient noise.. but it did'nt happen to me..

when i shoved the earphones deep into my ears, it did block out noise and when i talk,

i 'hear myself'. the SQ was much better (potential of earphone is maximised).

BUT my ears felt very uncomfortable. as if im gonna do harm to my ears.

dun tell me that IS the right way to wear it?

I believe there is a way. For me. when I insert the right ear phone, I will use my left hand to pull (in up-right direction) my right ear from behind my head. Then insert the earphone using my right hand. Same procedure for the other one. This will provide a good seal because of deep insertion...

You should check out various size of the ear tip. Try each of them to see which one give you the seal and comfort...

The Sony, Panasonic, Crossroad Mylars and even the universal UEs don't go very deep, so no damage done.

Westone, Shure, Ety and all others that can use tri-flanges, they go much deeper in, but they're still quite far from the eardrums, so no worries.

As long as you 'hear' yourself, the seal is probably there.

It's basically a matter of preference: some don't mind the intrusion, other live with it for the sake of good SQ, and there are those who hate it.

yes that is the way, and it does hurt a little. You can 1) get a smaller piece (as suggested already); or

2) add 1 or 2 drops of water to the tip before inserting it.

Another option is to use foam tips which tend to hurt less, or custom earmolds (if you get a good fit it is very comfortable, that's what I did, but it also cost me $179...)

Edited by loop_

came across some people that have very small ear canals...

even the smallest ones dun fit or hurt...

my advice is, if it hurts, then in ears probably not the way to go for you...

For me I have pretty small ear canels. I can only use the smallest tip and have a hard time wearing UE earphones.

Other then ER4 which I wear stright from the side with cables down, the rest of the IEM is over the ear. ER4 cables somehow dont allow looping over the ears for me. To ensure seal i twist the phones abit till I can start hearing myself significantly.

Edited by tassardar_

Hmm... well it was slightly uncomfortable with the UEs but I got accustomed to it sure enough. I think the UM2s offer the best comfort of all the iems I've tried. IEMs are worn over the ears.

You should get accustomed to the feeling of having something in your ear over time, just like specs.

ohh, so im not the only one who find in-ear uncomfortable.. and there ARE ppl wif small ear canals...

sori to say, even when i wear to smallest tip, it feels like someone stickin a finger into my ear.. >_< gosh~

of coz, good for those who r able to wear canals or IEMs..

isolation, clear, bassy SQ~

If wearing IEMs hurt then it could be a poor fit or you just don't like it. So, either get customs or switch to full size cans?