Sign in to follow this  
heady

Amp6 Basic

Here's another project I finished but haven't had the time to post until now. This is my bedroom set, driving a pair of Tannoys small little bookshelf speakers. Hmmm.... bedtime music.

The power supply is a Sony meant for the notebook computer, bought from Koba for almost as much as the amp. The case is from Bytetron, only $12 . :blush:

Amp5Basic_front.jpg

Amp5Basic_back.jpg

Amp5Basic_inside.jpg

Amp5Basic_PS.jpg

looks sweet...what's that silver box inside? battery? Have you heard the charlize before? I'm thinking of getting that set up sometime later this year...

Hey Heady, how is the SQ??

so small powerful enough to drive bookshelves?

kross,

depend on sensitivity of speakers and size of room. I borrowed a pair of ARs and they were loud. The Tannoys a little less sensitive, so need to turn up the passive volume control a bit more. But still listenable. Will be trying to add a active preamp later to see if any difference.

looks sweet...what's that silver box inside? battery? Have you heard the charlize before? I'm thinking of getting that set up sometime later this year...

The "silver box" is a CPU heatsink I mod to fit the amplifier chip. I almost bought a Charlize but this is cheaper and easier to built cos all the parts are supplied and also made for a simple power supply.

Sound is sweet. With the Tannoy M1 speakers in my bedroom, it is really great. I need to turn the knob on the passive volume control to almost three quarters to get the loud volume I normally listen to but my wife just need a quarter turn to get the volume she wants.

Sound is sweet. With the Tannoy M1 speakers in my bedroom, it is really great. I need to turn the knob on the passive volume control to almost three quarters to get the loud volume I normally listen to but my wife just need a quarter turn to get the volume she wants.

Hey gd for u man. Now can save $ on those amps. Haha im still trying to figue out how to built one. But far from it my sucess lies.

... But far from it my sucess lies.

Wah, you speak like Yoda. The Amp6Basic which I built is extremely easy to built. A beginner should have no problem with it, if you follow the instructions carefully. The problem is actually casing it. I find casing a project to be 60% of the total effort. After the blood, sweat and tears (when you cut/poke/smash yourself), the result is still not so pretty. :P Maybe that's just me. Anyway, ugly or not, it sounds good.

Wah, you speak like Yoda. The Amp6Basic which I built is extremely easy to built. A beginner should have no problem with it, if you follow the instructions carefully. The problem is actually casing it. I find casing a project to be 60% of the total effort. After the blood, sweat and tears (when you cut/poke/smash yourself), the result is still not so pretty. :P Maybe that's just me. Anyway, ugly or not, it sounds good.

Haha ya its all abt the sound not the looks, even tho it would b nice if it came with the package. Haha me bro tried to make an amp and it smoked! LOl haha we building from scratch. Hehe than can compete wif RSA. LOl JK!

hi heady, how much you spent in total on those?

The kit cost about S$50 (can't remember shipping as I bought 3 different kits together), another $12 for the casing, maybe $20 for heatsink, RCA, speaker terminals etc, so it cost less than S$100 for the whole amp. Oops forgot the power adaptor was S$40 more.

So, there you have it, a total of $120-130 for everything.

Edited by hPl0w

Hi, your amp looks a lot more complicated then my amp6Basic. The Tannoys were like 3rd or 4th hands, paid about S$130 for them.

Tested a CMOY2 headamp as preamp with my amp6 and it sounds good. Now to find time to build the preamp.

hmm... that amp i built may look complicated. it will make noise or give distortions in abundance... its just picky about drivers it drives... i think the power supply isn't that stable. the cap i think is too low... oh well, that i have to change some other time... they are stereo 10W 8 ohms per channel... :D