Sign in to follow this  
Shiro MS08th

Crossroad MylarThree Review

Crossroad MylarThree

IPB Image

IPB Image

My first time doing a proper review, so pardon me if I'm bad at it, or missing out some details.

Equipments used:

1) CD Player - Marantz CD63SE [T.S. Lim mod]

2) Amp - Little Dot 2+

3) Earphones - Crossroad MylarThree with bi-flanges

4) Default/Cheapo interconnects and power cables

Setup:

Marantz CD63SE -> Little Dot 2+ -> Crossroad MylarThree with bi-flanges

Music:

Iron Maiden - A Real Dead One

Joe Satriani - The Extremist

Mr Big - Greatest Hits

Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim - Getz/Gilberto

Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind

Firstly, my MylarThree has been fully burned in, at 300 or more hours, genre of music used consider of rock, heavy metal, blues, bossa nova and instrumental rock.

On with go to the rating system, rating from 0-10, 0 being crap, 10 being freaking awesome.

Now to the ratings of this earphones.

Sound Quality:

Bass:

Oh man, I love the bass produced by this earphones, its have the power and punch, yet remain clean and tight, espically shown when listening to fast rock/metal songs.

You can hear clearly and accurately the horse thumping drum bass pattern of Iron Maiden.

Nothing much to say, but just great and accurate bass, i'm not a basshead per se.

Rating: 9.5/10

Mids:

Very smooth, detailed and slightly warm. For vocals like in "The Girl From Ipanema", both the male and female vocals, very smooth and accurate listening.

On guitar, its have great clarity, like the acoustic guitar on "Wild World and To Be With You", you can hear every notes clearly.

Or on Satch's guitar solos, the wailing sound, its woooo! You can even hear the details of the slides after post-solos, you will definetely love it if you like to listen to

instrumental rock like Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Neil Zaza, etc...

But then I feel that while playing fast rock/metal songs like Iron Maiden ones, it tends to be abit slow, lacking in speed in this section.

Overall, the mids is very good espically the clarity, detailed and smoothness to the progression of the music, or some may say musical.

Rating: 8.5/10

Highs:

I'm using Sebastian Bach's singing in songs like "Wasted Time", when he sings till the high part, around the end of the high note, it doesn't sound very smooth, slightly

harsh.

Slight shrill and sibilance could be heard at times, when critical listening or people with sensitive ears.

Rating: 7/10

Overall I would say this earphones is very detailed, clarity, tight and powerful bass and warm feeling.

Cons is the highs as stated.

If the source is good, you are good to go, amp it for full potential.

Build/Design Quality:

Microphonics is present, when you hit the cables you can hear it clearly.

Cables are pretty thin, looks like it will break/damage if you pull it with strength.

Design-wise, look cheapo and ugly in my opinion.

Rating: 5/10

Value:

For the price you are paying for this ($65), I really have nothing to complain, I think it will beat all other IEM in its price range with no problem, maybe on par with those one

tier higher ones.

Rating: 10/10

This is purely my opinion only, it's best that you go down and have an audition with this earphones with your setup.

Everyone have different tastes afterall. :)

Very nice review. Think I just found the birthday present for my friend ... Time to spread some poison he he ..

Shiro, is the Mylar3 much better than the last FOTM, the OVC T20? They look very similar in build and design.

Edited by heady

To many, the MylarOne was better than the T20.

To me, (and many others as well), the MylarThree is better than the MylarOne by a whole lot.

OT - rant to no one in particular.... :))

How come new headphones keep coming out faster than they wear out? My son finally help kill my Koss Sparkplugs when he tried to straighten the cables and pulled too hard. But I still got my T20, T11, CK7 & assorted buds. Hmm, how to justify a Mylar3? :D

hahaa heady convince yourself he will destroy somemore in the near future, therefore you need to guard against an IEM-less day! therefore the justification!

and its below $70, shouldnt be too difficult to justify! :))

Aiyah, its true the Mylar3 isn't expensive but it's rather wasteful to buy something which is used for only a short while. Right? Looks like I got no ally in this rant. :P

Edited by heady

I too got a myler3. I dun know if ppl here agree with me when i say they are almost as gd as the UE superfi pro. Haha and it is like a fraction of its price.

... But the built quality puts me off.

What's wrong with the build quality? The reported failures?

Mayb cos its plastic like? Haha the engineering prototype has a worse built quality even though i must admit it looks better. Cos the silver ring is nicer than the red one. HAha

I am now listening to a pair of Mylar 3. And the verdict is that it is really good. The T20 can't compare at all. The details and balance seems just right. Quite nice bass and the treble is smooth and not shrill at all. I am using a PINT and a Creative DAP.

If any one wants to get the Mylar 3, please get the biflange tips from Jaben as well, works very well especially if your ear canals are not round.

Hmm.... now to convince my son to use the T20. :P

If any one wants to get the Mylar 3, please get the biflange tips

Ya the myler 3 are gd. I totally agree u need biflanges to get a proper fit. But i feel that the bass is a little to hard. The beyer DTX50 has a deep but less punchy bass. I prefer it over the myler 3. Haha all the best in convincing ur son!

I am now listening to a pair of Mylar 3. And the verdict is that it is really good. The T20 can't compare at all. The details and balance seems just right. Quite nice bass and the treble is smooth and not shrill at all. I am using a PINT and a Creative DAP.

If any one wants to get the Mylar 3, please get the biflange tips from Jaben as well, works very well especially if your ear canals are not round.

Good for you heady!

Maybe my ears are more sensitive or my home setup, I can hear the shrill, cause I purposely find those songs with high notes to test the highs for this earphones.

Glad you like it dude! :)