Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felix

Help me decide on a new CD player

Guest Felix

Hello all Gurus.

I have a NAD 522 CD player that is almost 10years old and its dead. All the other components are also the same age.

I need a replacement. I listen to all sorts of music but mostly Jazz.

It will be linked up to :

NAD C320 (as a Pre amp)

NAD 214 x 2 (Brigded Power Amp)

Acoustic Energy Aegis 1 bookshelf speakers on stands

What should I get to replace the CD player? Any CD player got a direct headphone out?

I do not wish to spend too much.

Thanks

You you listen mostly to Jazz, vocals & accoustic music, may want to consider getting a good used tubed DAC instead. An older Audio Note, Musical Fedility or Softone DAC will sound great compared to most $1K CDP. You can use a cheap Belden 1694 digital cable to connect them.

Down the road, you also have the option of getting a Squeezebox to replace your old CDP and stream your music straight from your PC.

Guest Felix

Most of the Marantz has headphones line-out. Cheapest one starts at slightly <$300

I think giving us a budget helps load.

I guess nothing more the $1.5k would be ok. But most important must be able to match my amps. Or worst case, a new set up if I can sell off my amps for a more simple set up.

You you listen mostly to Jazz, vocals & accoustic music, may want to consider getting a good used tubed DAC instead. An older Audio Note, Musical Fedility or Softone DAC will sound great compared to most $1K CDP. You can use a cheap Belden 1694 digital cable to connect them.

Down the road, you also have the option of getting a Squeezebox to replace your old CDP and stream your music straight from your PC.

Sorry I am out of this audio stuff for too long. What is a DAC?

DAC is the data conversion part of a CDP system; Transport + DAC = CDP.

There're lots of choice for under $1.5K. Consonance CD120 from Opera has lots of rave reviews. Cambridge Audio 640 or 740 are decent choices too.

Since your setup's NADs. Perhaps you'd like to stick with NADs as well?

You mentioned that you listen to a lot of jazz. Could you be a little more precise too? What sort of jazz? Vocals? Instrumental?

I've got the 640c v2. I'd say that it's an excellent player. Perhaps not as 'musical' as some other players.. but next to the 840c, it definitely has some warmth. The 840c is more punchy. Maybe you should take that into consideration in fitting a player into your system.

Guest Felix

I am considering SACD. The Pioneer PD-D6 looks nice. Maybe I will also get the matching Amp and keep my speakers then sell my NAD amps

I listen to Vocals more

I personally got the 640c v2 after hearing the NAD 532, marantz 5001 , 5001 ose. I guess, your ears will tell. The Cambridge audio and nad has no headphone out. Alternatively, you can get the Marantz CD 63 TS Lim mod.

Guest Felix

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I purchased a Pioneer PD-D6 SACD player and matching A-A6 amps.

Sounds good, still run in. Using normal CDs the music is good, but using SACD makes my hair stand! Its great!

But the thing now is that I can't find much SACD on sale.

Using my old AE Aegis 1 speakers (not EVO) and MIT cables. Now I feel that my speakers are not up to the system.

My new set up does not play as loud as my old set up but its fast, tight, sharp and clear the way I like.

Soundstage is ok but I know can be better. Need to move the speaker a bit.

What about the Rega? No headphone out but if you're serious about headphones you really should get a dedicated headphone amp. An alternative CDP (slightly more than 1.5K (I think it's 1.8K) is the CEC. Also try out the Spark/Cayin CDT17.

this month's edition of what hifi sound and vision rates the new marantz 6002 as the best budget cdp around. maybe you can try but it's not out in singapore yet. im very tempted...

*oops realised you bought your cdp already hope you're having fun!

Edited by loop_

Guest Felix

I already got the Pioneer PD-D6 player.

Sounds great with SACD. I like it very much

My choice in that price range would have been a Denon 2930 universal player - a serious piece of gear at a relatively "budget" price.

BTW, there's an excellent set of articles in the Sep issue of TAS regarding CD playback. A very interesting read.

Edited by cmk