n707jt

An in-ear earphone to recommend?

Hi guys

I am currently using the Sennheiser PX200 for 5 years and well, I kinda feel that it is about time to change. :grin:

I have seen models from Shure, Etymotics and UE. I have also heard about Shure being over-rated (is that true?) Also, the Mylar3 seems like a really good bang for buck earphone.

My music listening genre tends to be pretty wide, ranging from classical, pop to rock. I'm looking for something which is able to reproduce the crisp high sound of those string instruments in a classical track and at the same time, able to effectively reproduce the thumping bass of a rock song.

So any recommendations? :grin:

Hi, welcome to sgheadphones. I strongly suggest you take your own suggestion of Mylar3 seriously and go audition them at Jabens. For value for money, it can't be beat. And I think it has the qualities you are looking for. But then I have not used the other "premium" brands before.

Then the entry-level stuff probably applies: Etymotic ER-6 or ER-6i (personally recommended), Westone UM1 (personally dislike), and the recently popular Mylar3 (haven't tried).

The ER-6/i should be able to give you the highs and clarity you want, but the ER-6 is bass-deficient compared to the UM1 (which itself is treble-deficient).

Coming from dynamic headphones, you need to be aware that IEMs in general will not give you the thumping, rocking bass, but the good ones can still give you very deep bass.

By the way, the Shures aren't over-rated. They adhere to the laws of diminishing returns, as do the UEs and Westones.

Edited by radioactive28

Hi radioactive28

Thanks for your reply. I was also told that the thumping rocking bass found in dynamic headphones cannot be replicated on IEMs.

What is the difference between the ER6 and ER6i though?

you should consider the other mylars as well - bang-for-the-buck.

anyway, jaben carries most (all except Shures I think) of the IEMs mentioned above. Why don't you just drop by and spend some quality time with the IEMs there? Set yourself a budget and go listen... most importantly adhere to the rule that if you don't any difference.. get the cheaper one. and i personally believe our dear 'uncle' will advise you accordingly :)

i'm also looking for iems with ard n707's budget. if i were able to get a pair of ultimate ears superfi 5 pros at that price would it be a great buy?

Edited by athenaesword

What is the difference between the ER6 and ER6i though?

The 6i's bass is slightly boosted and its impedance is lower - features to accommodate the iPod.

Set yourself a budget and go listen... most importantly adhere to the rule that if you don't any difference.. get the cheaper one.

:thumbup::party:

(I really have to got to listen to the Mylars one day.)

Edited by radioactive28

@athenaesword:

Yep sf5p at that price would be good.

@n707jt:

Second the Mylars (especially MylarXb for the bass), alternatively do consider UE-sf3 and AT-ck9. Both are all rounders.

ur music categorize looks similar with mine..... I;m listening to jazz, classic, choir, pop, classic rock a bit... and from the suggestion from many others and head-fi... I'm go with modded IM716. Now my IM716 is still being modded, so if you want, I can post my impression for choir, piano solo, and jazz.... But I don't think that they will give thumping bass....which i can tolerate instead of rolled off high and bottom...

i wouldn't or in the least doctors wouldn't advise thumping bass from IEM coz it is really very very damaging to the ear drums due to the close proximity of the buds.