MalHead

Upgrade path - source or amp first?

Hi all

Given that I will upgrade both amp and CDP but with limited budget, which one would you suggest to upgrade first - amp or CDP? Currently, I don't have an amp and my source is a make-do DVD player used as a CDP. I'm tempted to go for the amp first (since I don't have one now) but I wonder if even a good amp will be dampened by a low end source. But if it is the CDP, then the choice will be limited because there isn't many good budget audiophile CDP with headphone jack. An example is Marantz. The rest like NAD and Cambridge Audio do not have headphone jack built-in, meaning I need an amp.

Please advise.

Thanks all.

Best if you can keep the money in the piggy and save up till you have the funds to get both at the same time. But if the itch is really there then get a CDP with the headphone jack and volume control first. There's a spark/cayin solid state CDP that does this - try it and the headphone section out at Precision Audio Ground Floor Adelphi. It's around S$700 to S$800 (cant remembert the exact price). There's also the Dugood Gloryyear CDP from Ah Fart Audio.

Hi all

Given that I will upgrade both amp and CDP but with limited budget, which one would you suggest to upgrade first - amp or CDP? Currently, I don't have an amp and my source is a make-do DVD player used as a CDP. I'm tempted to go for the amp first (since I don't have one now) but I wonder if even a good amp will be dampened by a low end source. But if it is the CDP, then the choice will be limited because there isn't many good budget audiophile CDP with headphone jack. An example is Marantz. The rest like NAD and Cambridge Audio do not have headphone jack built-in, meaning I need an amp.

Please advise.

Thanks all.

what is your DVDP?

Hi Rameish, thanks, how would you compare the sound of Cayin/Dugood with that of modded Marantz CD63/67, Marantz CD5001, and Cambridge Audio 640Cv2.

Hi sghound, it is DVP-F11, an old compact Sony DVDP. The sound is normal, that's why I'm thinking of upgrading, but due to budget constraint, I can only upgrade either the CDP or amp, not both.

You can look at the Marantz C5001 OSE which is 80 more than the normal one. I compared the Marantz and the 640c. The marantz is much brighter and its soundstage is not as wide. The reason would be the dual dac of the 640c.

The headphone out of the 5001 is decent for just listening.

If on a budget, I say get a CDP first. then get an amp.

Thanks for all the advice, I finally got a Marantz CD6002, latest with good review from Whathifi, from Alpha Audio. Having compared the CD5001 OSE and CD6002, I would say the CD6002 is much better... more airy, very detail, good soundstage, sounds more natural than the CD5001 OSE. I also tested Cambridge Audio 540C but still finds the CD6002 more natural.

Now, my next question: currently I listening mostly using my MS2 cans, but may get a pair of bookshelf speakers for the CD6002, so will an integrated amp serve well now for headphones or a dedicated headphone amp is still better than an integrated amp? I'm of killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

If integrated amp, I'm exploring Rotel RA-04. If headamp, I'm thinking of XCanv3 or Diva.

Any advise on above questions?

Appreciate all inputs.

Malcolm

I don't think an integrated amp will be as good as a dedicated headamp. (my PM4001 can be a testament to that).

You may want to get a headamp first, and use that as a speaker pre-amp, then get a power-amp in the future.

Thanks, aaron-xp.

May I know which tube headamp is good as a preamp? In terms of power amp, must this be a dedicated power amp or an integrated amp will do?

Thanks again.

Malcolm

Hmm, I'm not too sure about which headamp be good as a preamp (never done that before, although it's possible if I am not wrong).

The DIVA looks really appealing though. The power amp should preferably be a dedicated power amp. Not sure if an integrated one would be undoing the good of a pre + power amp combo.

DISCLAIMER:

I'm no expert in speaker matters. I just use a relatively low-end integrated amp plus an MS914.

This thread may help:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259799

Edited by aaron-xp

Wow, finally I've got a cd player after all these reviews. Guys, thx for posting. It had help me made up my mind to get cd6002 from Alpha at SLS. I find it a pretty good buy for this cd player at $410 and the Ecosse interconnects at $75. There is also the Marantz cd5001 OSE at $350 - which is a good cd player too. However, the sales personel suggested me to get Azur 340 which cost $400 plus?? or even Azur 540 or 640 at a much higher price.... Reason given was that he says the Azur has 24 bit whereby Marantz only has single bit! Anyway, I stick to Marantz as their cd players have a longer track record.

Got the Marantz hook up on RA 04 with Monitor Audio Gold, and it sounds real good for Jazz, Classical and audiophile vocal. As for R&B music or heavier bass music, I suggest a different amp and speakers as compared with my set up. Or, a power amp will be great to add on to the Rotel.

Next, I'll be needing a set of headphones for late night listening... pls recomend, thank you.

Hachi

Edited by Hachi

i think the 6002 is definitely the right choice. In the UK its price is the same as the 540cv2 and the reviews say it's even better...

what's your budget for the headphones? any specific requirements (like whether you need closed headphones etc)?

Hi Loop, appreciate yur reply. What do you think of iGrado or Goldring DR50.. I have no preference for open or closed headphone. Price wise, haha.. from the 2 selections as stated above, you can tell I'm a person going for good stuff with a small budget.

hey, btw I just did a crazy speakers hook up with 12 wires on each speaker.

IPB Image