Sign in to follow this  
Bushwacker

Help on Tubes for cayin ha-1a

I have been looking around and there are many kinds of tubes. From what I understand, the Mullard ones are like the best out there.

But with regards to a cayin ha-1a, which tubes are "best" for it?

Also, is there a shop which helps to replace old tubes? really do not wish to open it up.

as a previous newbie tube user (cayin) it isn't difficult to remove and replace the tube. u can slowly pull out the tube and insert new one in. if you buy the tube from frankie of wells audio (Burlington Square), he may help u replace the tube.

do a search on the forum and u can find some previous threads on tube rolling for the cayin. i have experience with the mullards only.

cheers

bushwacker, there is no such thing as "best" tube.

however, NOS tubes for most part, tend to sound nicer than current production ones. often this comes at a price for the very sought after NOS. it really depends on your budget.

your cayin has EL84, 12ax7 & 12au7 types.

EL84: fave ones are the Amperex, Brimar, Mullard & Telefunken. at current ridiculous prices for these legends, they're poor value for money so buy them only if u have the budget. instead, i will rec the current prod russian Electro-Harmonix EL84EH which is based on the Mullard tube and sounds pretty darn close to the NOS. u should be able to find readily available tube at Well Audio or Martin in Burlington Sq. (i'm not sure what stock EL84 came with your amp, maybe Sovtek or JJ or EH if u're lucky)

12ax7: all-time fave in this family are the subs called 5751. they have slightly less gain than normal 12ax7, though i haven't really noticed but it comes with superior quietness and way less sibilant than 12ax7's. best NOS in this class have triple-micas and dual support rods which add another layer of goodness to the overall sound. my 4 kings are Sylvania 5751 triple-mica grey plates, Raytheon 5751 triple-mica black plates, GE 5751 triple-mica black plates & the Tung-Sol 5751 dual-mica tall plates. the downside? these babies are rare and hard to find, plus they come at a high cost. but u can get really excellent results with ready available NOS dual-micas. many of which are available on eBay. here's a really value for money GE matched pair that can be shipped to Singapore 5751

12au7: fave is the RCA Clear Top which is still readily available on eBay 12au7

collectively these tubes will take your Cayin to another level. HAPPY HUNTING!!

Thanks sghound for the advice. But there are only 3 tubes in it. Ebay is selling as a pair. I guess I should pop by well audio to see how to help me amp. Thanks!

Cayin HA-1A has four tube/electron valves.

Whilest NOS tubes do last longer because they were generally better made may I suggest you purchase your tubes/valves from reputable dealers that test and match them.

As for which tubes sound best that would depend on how you want to change the sound of you amp slightly. If it's too bright you might wanna try the CV4003 (Mullard British Army tube) that's even warmer than the regular stock civilian Mullard ECC82. But if the sound is already too muddy/murky/warm/lush etc then the Mullard is not the way to go. Indeed an RFT ECC82 (East German) would be better suited. As for power tubes get the best matched pair you can find. These NOS EL84 tubes are really getting scarce and you really dont want to put a gassy tube into you amp. Or put unmatched tubes in. RAM matched and tested tubes is the best way forward for the EL84 IMO. As for the 12 AX7 a properly tested balanced triode tube (ie both sides are matched as closely to each other within the tube) will offer more sonic benefits. Again buying RAM matched tube here would be good - Try the Ei tube here. You can also try www.triodeelectronics.com - Ned Carlson is an honest man who matches the tube for you. If you cant afford the RAM tubes get them from triode electronics.

Thanks sghound for the advice. But there are only 3 tubes in it. Ebay is selling as a pair. I guess I should pop by well audio to see how to help me amp. Thanks!

when it comes to NOS, always always get a spare coz u'll never know when u'll find them again. plus Fantastic Tubes is a reliable dealer. go for it!!!

I guess I would go to a singapore based shop instead of overseas.

Now that i noticed, when I on the unit, there is bright light which comes on and then reduces back to a glow in the ECC83 tube. Is it common?

Some tubes flash when you power them on. I know the Mullard CV4024 (12AT7) and the Tungsram ECC82 (12AU7) (the ones with a metal clip with a number embossed onto it) flashes upon power up. I do mean a yellow flash (ie a brief momemt for less then a second). That's normal for some makes of certain models/tube types. That is not all Tungsram tubes of the same family will flash. Cant remember which 12AX7/ECC83/CV4004 flash though. I think the very limited run Svetlana 12AX7 does flash (I not too sure and cant check for you as I dont currently have a tube amp that uses 12AX7) I'll post a pict of that tube in the next couple of hours.

I remembered a v detailed review on this amp by forumer Mackie with his experience on rolling tubes. I tried using the Mullard CV4004 as recommended with impressive result.

Perhaps you can do a search or google for it.