ezzo

IEM for a female friend

Hi,

I am looking for a pair of canal phones for my female friend, with a budget of ~$100, MAX of $150.

She is currently using a pair of Sony EX71 and feels that the bass is fine. (WTH, even I find them a little too much)

The reason is probably cause she listens at REALLY LOW volumes. Volumes which I can barely hear the vocals and my hearing is pretty fine ( I listen at ~50% volume on a iPod with IEMs).

So, the criteria is:

1) Sounds good even at low volumes

2) Good Bass Quality & Quantity

3) Suitable for small ears & ear-holes - Comfortable

So far, I have zoomed in on AT ATH-CK7 and Creative EP-630, but I have no idea how they sounds at low volumes or whether the EP-630 are worthed the "upgrade".

Btw, I am not considering the Mylars due to their build quality, not a good candidate as a gift..

Anyone have any/other suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Edited by ezzo

Both EP630 and Mylars fit your 3rd requirement.

EP630 has bass quantity, but a bit muddy, low-detailed. The Mylar has good sound at low volume, nice details but lacks bass.

My recommendation is UE Super.fi 3 Studio. Just wonder if your friend likes its design or not.

EP630 vs Ex71, I really dont think there will be much improvement.. Have anyone heard them both?

Mylars, not considering - build quality, bass..

Plus my friend likes bass ;)

I will check out the Super.fi 3, see if they how they fit, I have read alot of issues with it.

hi, what sort of music does she listen to? i've been using CK7s for more than a year and love them lots. also listen to them at mid-low volumes except on bus or MRT.

A female colleague of mine also bought the CK7 after comparing them against the Mylars, Sony and the DTX50.

No no, not the Super.fi 3s. Those have great mids and a really good treble extension, but are absolutely deviod in the bass department.

CK7s are very well rounded phones. I think those are a better bet.

um1? I use the um1 with the ipod and the volume below 1/4 still loud enough.

Don't think the Um1 will provide sufficient bass for the user, but who knows, maybe she'll find enough bass with the UM1.

Thanks for all the replies!

My friend really has superb hearing. Mine is probably average, definately not deaf yet. Haha. She listens at ~25% with an iPod, on a bus with only 1side, I can barely the vocals...

She listens mostly to Rock, Pop and sometimes Jazz, seldom genres like Classical, Hip-Hop/Rap.

I doubt the Um1 will do for her, considering she thinks the Ex71s are OKAY in the bass area. Haha.

I think the CK7 will probably be the best bet for her.

Another question, have anyone had any issues with the treble of CK7? Too bright/shrills?

hi ezzo, at high volumes, the treble can get a bit shrill for me. but since your friend likes low volumes, should be alright.

that said, i find the sound brighter on my mp3 player than on my md player. source could matter too.