Rameish

My favourite headphones (in production)

Sennheiser - HD-570 and HD-590 ( I like the build of the HD-600)

Grado - SR-60 or 80 and RS-2 RS1 (HP-1 does not count as it's not in production)

Beyer - DT-150, DT-831, DT-880 (have not heard the DT-931)

AKG - K-501 (heard the K-1000 briefly many years ago at a hi-fi show but the venue was a little noisy and I did not know the music so hard to comment).

Sony - V6 AKA 7056 and CD-3000

Audio Technica W-1000

Philips HP-910

Go on get aggresive LOL There are many headphones that I have not heard and many that I have heard in less than ideal conditions - ie not burnt in, noisy environment, wrong amplification (out of a CD Player's jack). I have excluded these. The above headphones have all been auditioned when completely burnt in with different amplification and CDP (all familiar to me). Senn lovers take heart - the HD-600 is just too rich and creamy for me and if ever I do an audition again it would be with a Sony CDP and X-Cans.

Taking a leaf from your book, what equipment do you normally use?

Quite right. All need good amplification.

The amps I normally use are: Grado RA-1, Creek OBH-11SE (with OBH-2 PS), Porta Corda II, Corda HA-1, Corda HA-2 and Corda Prehead. META 42 (not for too long).

My favourite amps? Grado RA-1, Porta Corda II and Corda HA-1. (The PreHead and HA-2 are better sonically but the law of diminishing returns sets in). In fact I find it difficult to tell the diff between The Prehead and HA-2. I can it's just difficult.

I have also listened to Musical Fidelity X-Cans V1, the SAC1000 (for K-1000) briefly, EarMax (non pro), Headroom Supreme and Airhead and Max (old version), Sonic Frontiers Pre Amp (can't remember model number).

How did the Headroom Max sound comparatively to the Corda HA-1/2?

I haven't had much experience with proper headphones but these are the ones that I have used in order of buying:

• Sennheiser HD565 Ovation (No longer in production & with me)

• Grado SR80 (No longer with me)

• Sennheiser MX400 (No longer with me)

• Sennheiser HD600

• Etymotic ER-4S

• AKG K1000 (No longer with me)

• Koss KSC-35 (No longer in production)

• Grado RS-1

My favourites have to be the Etys, as most of you already by now from my other posts. No matter what my mood I like listening to them. With proper amplification they sound great. Major drawback is the cable microphonics but that can be reduced by running the cable over your earlobes.

The most whacky is the AKG. I had them for the shortest time of a few months only. I couldn't get used to their sound & feel of them on my head. Given quiet conditions they sound very detailed like the Etys but I felt it sounded too bright for my taste. Bass is defenitely there contrary to popular belief similarly like the etys. Once properly run-in & using proper amplification. Had to let them go eventually as I couldn't justify keeping them even though I wanted to keep them for the sake of having different sounding cans for comparative reasons.

Initially I thought the MX400 were the worst but with amplification they sounded better & suits portable applications better for obvious reasons. No longer have these as they were stolen with my Fixup modified Sony Portable Radio!

I like owning different character sounding headphones as it suits me for my ever changing moods. Plus it's cheaper than having different source & amps. I'm pretty happy with what I've got now except I am looking for a full size closed headphones preferably from another different manufacturer more for general duty rather than exclusively for music. I'd like to upgrade my ancient Marantz CD-90 player too. Prefer something with HDCD capability as I feel the CDs encoded in HDCD sound much more detailed especially in little nuances of acoustic instruments.

Edited by N@Z

My hit list:

1. Grado RS-1 / Senn HD600 with Cardas

2. Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster

3. Philips HP890

All these cans are driven by a JMT META42.

I have auditioned AKGs, ATs, and, and Beyers; somehow didn't quite like them. I used to listen to only Grados and hated Senns (the veil drives me nuts), but after the cable upgrade and a simple mod (removing the foam covering from the driver), I found it to be a good alternative to my one-track Grado ears.

The Ultrasone HFI650 is possibly the best closed can I've heard - that's why I decided to become a distributor headphone.gif - with the exception of the Etys. I'm itching to try the Shure E5c earphones, but the price is a major killer. NB: The mods on damping as illustrated by Meier-Audio (http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/bilder/vs8_21.gif) plus a 72 hour break-in knocks this can right up to No. 2 on my list. Out of the box, it'll probably be No. 6 (if there was a 6).

The Philips phones are a big surprise, 'cause Philips is usually crap when it comes to audio (they make GREAT video stuff, though). The HP890, while not one of the best cans I have, is surpisingly adept at certain kinds of music, namely electronica and classical. In fact, I find my self switching from the RS-1/HD600 to the HP890 when I listen to stuff by let's say NIN or PSB. Rock tends to bring out a slight sibilance on the HP890.

BTW, Rameish, do you have any idea whether the HP910 has been discontinued? I know some retailers still have it, but apparently Philips does not keep them in stock anymore. So I suppose your HP910 might become a rare item soon. wink.gif

Edited by El Scorcho

Don't know about the Philips 910 availability as I never thought of becoming a Philips dealer. Curious, since you are a Philips dealer why don't you ask them directly?

I find the Cardas with Senn 600 to give a slightly harder yet detailed sound esp if you remove the foam and replace it with say nylon stocking material. To me it robs some of the romance of the Senn HD-600 while giving better details. They are still good headphones.

BTW Are the Ultrasones you are selling the ULE versions or regular versions. That is, do you bring in both versions of say the 650 and 2000.

I do suggest that you inform Ablaze or N@Z about your status to ensure the people know what headphones you are selling when they read comments about your favourite headphones. I do hope you understand why you need to inform forum members - as per head-fi rules. This is to give transparency to comments made by dealers.

Favourite that I've heard so far(in order of preference):

-beyer dt770

-Senn hd600

-AT w100

-beyer dt250

- senn mx500

Favourite has got to be dt770pro.. driven properly they have too much bass.. but out of my soundcard they have slightly less bass(less headache) .

Senn hd600 which I heard yesterday , yeap I agree with rameish for the price.. they aren't worth it, but overall I find the senn is a very nice can.If hd580 can give 95% of it,I will get the hd580.

yeah El Scorcho, do drop me a pm what you'd like to "be". smile.gif how about "ultrasone dealer"?

Rameish, if you're not happy with "meier-audio sg. rep" , just drop me a note too wink.gif

Don't know about the Philips 910 availability as I never thought of becoming a Philips dealer. Curious, since you are a Philips dealer why don't you ask them directly?

BTW Are the Ultrasones you are selling the ULE versions or regular versions. That is, do you bring in both versions of say the 650 and 2000.

I do suggest that you inform Ablaze or N@Z about your status to ensure the people know what headphones you are selling when they read comments about your favourite headphones. I do hope you understand why you need to inform forum members - as per head-fi rules. This is to give transparency to comments made by dealers.

Speaking Transparently

Rameish,

Thanks for the heads-up. party.gif

Actually, when I'm writing about headphones, I make a strong distinction.

As a dealer, I only talk prices and availability, never about how 'great' or 'wonderful' my stuff is. That's up to the person considering to buy my stuff, and good stuff usually speak for themselves.

As an enthusiast, I only talk about what I see as merits/weaknesses of the headphones, never about how much I want to sell them or availability. These are my personal opinions as a headphone user

But of course, the need for 'transparency': I don't really believe that such a creature exists, and it is usually mentioned most by those who practice it least (NB: No offense to you, Rameish; I'm just talking about the world in general; peace, y'all beer.gif ). In any case, I see Ablaze has updated my identity. Wah, I'm a dealer man! Thanks! cool.gif

Anyhow, I was talking about the HP910 as a user, not a dealer. I just wanted to comment on how one of your fave cans (as a user) may not be in production anymore, so it becomes a rare item, which is good for you (as a user). That's all, and I am not selling the 910.

As an Ultrasone dealer: I currently stock only LE versions. ULE versions are available on request. Warning: They will about US$50 more. I bring in both the 650 (Trackmaster and DVD Edition) and 2000.

Anyway, I hope I have not caused too much trouble with my (once again) thoughtless posts. Thanks to Moderator (you're the Man, Ablaze!) for updating my ID, and thanks once again to Rameish (you're a Cautious Man).

Speaking Transparently

Rameish,

Thanks for the heads-up.  party.gif

Actually, when I'm writing about headphones, I make a strong distinction.

As a dealer, I only talk prices and availability, never about how 'great' or 'wonderful' my stuff is. That's up to the person considering to buy my stuff, and good stuff usually speak for themselves.

As an enthusiast, I only talk about what I see as merits/weaknesses of the headphones, never about how much I want to sell them or availability. These are my personal opinions as a headphone user

But of course, the need for 'transparency': I don't really believe that such a creature exists, and it is usually mentioned most by those who practice it least (NB: No offense to you, Rameish; I'm just talking about the world in general; peace, y'all  beer.gif ). In any case, I see Ablaze has updated my identity. Wah, I'm a dealer man! Thanks!  cool.gif

Anyhow, I was talking about the HP910 as a user, not a dealer. I just wanted to comment on how one of your fave cans (as a user) may not be in production anymore, so it becomes a rare item, which is good for you (as a user). That's all, and I am not selling the 910.

As an Ultrasone dealer: I currently stock only LE versions. ULE versions are available on request. Warning: They will about US$50 more. I bring in both the 650 (Trackmaster and DVD Edition) and 2000.

Anyway, I hope I have not caused too much trouble with my (once again) thoughtless posts. Thanks to Moderator (you're the Man, Ablaze!) for updating my ID, and thanks once again to Rameish (you're a Cautious Man).

El Scorcho,

I do hope that is not sarcasm I'm hearing. Esp the title of "Speaking Transparently" and the bit about people who mention transperancy the most do not practice it.

Transparency is a goal we need to aim for even if we may fall short of it. Comments about products - esp when one sells them - need to come with a disclaimer. To avoid having to state the disclaimer over and over again, a simple title switch would have solved it. You may not agree with this but that is how forums of this nature are usually run. Unlike a physical store, where a customer who walks in knows he's encountering a salesperson (who may or may not be an enthusiast), in the forum the handle doesn't provide the same info to the reader.

As for me, I do belive in the merits of transparency and acknowledge that complete transparancy is perhaps a utopia.

As for being a cautious man. Yes. I want to see this forum thrive. Ablaze had once asked me to be a moderator in this forum. I declined and told him why it was not a good idea for me to do so. BTW Ablaze and me do not always see eye to eye as well. So, there are some, perhaps not too many, who do practice transparency while preaching it.

Also, rather than reporting your post to a moderator (without your knowledge), I choose to do so openly so that you do know who the person is. In addition I chose to do so politely - or at least I thought it was polite. Once again, another example of being transparent.

I did know that in your first post in this forum you did state you were selling Ultrasone and Philips. But such posts do tend to become relegated to the 3rd or 4th page over time. So I do believe and did not think you were trying to hoodwink people.

If you mistook my post as an accusation of sorts then do note that was not my intent.

White Flag Message:

I know the moderators might wanna take this post out (given its somewhat personal nature but I'll make this quick.)

Rameish: If I somehow caused you to feel that you're the target of wanton sarcasm, I publicly apologize (although I did specifically state that my comments on transparency were not directed at you; I suppose paper bullets, like real ones, have no eyes).

'Cautious man' was meant to be a compliment, but again I hold myself responsible for not making that clear to you.

OK, enuff of that stuff! I believe this was meant to be a fun, informative and useful place for all headphone lovers, so let the fun times continue. headphone.gif

No need to apologise lah. LOL I'm just rather protective of this new baby forum. Some day I hope it can rival head-fi which in itself was the baby of headwize (which is still a great resource but sadly negleted by some former heavyweights).

I too would like some to post reviews. Unfortunately the only review I can make is on headphones and comparison between corda amps. It's difficult being one of the most experienced yet frustrated by obvious dealer restrains.

Okay. Lets call this a nite and have a beer sometime.

Rameish, I think we'd all be happy to read any of your reviews. Just post them lah, but put a disclaimer that you may be biased, then let us make our own opinions from whatever you're reviewing. I think we can do that yes.gif

I think if you really want the forum to grow, one important step is to buy a domain name for us laugh.gif haha