Just purchased a new HD600 from stereo. Priced pretty competitively for a headphone of its class, needed one to replace my failing akg701 which im sending in for repair.

As my only headphone left working was my DT880 03 edition, did a minor comparison with them.

HD600 has a smaller soundstage compared to the DT880. The DT880 when used with music thats best listen with the additional soundstage effect feels so much bigger compared to when used with HD600. HD600 gives a more in the music/song type of effect when compared side by side.

HD600 also seem to resolve details much better then the DT880. Minor details tend to stand out more and if the music is badly compressed, HD600 is very unforgiving similar to the akg701 while the DT880 tend to let it pass much more easily. I did notice the DT880 has a slight veil on its music when compared to the HD600.

Vocal and base is something I feel that the HD600 does better then the DT880. Bass had this punch that is much better then the DT880 and also better then the akg701 in my memories. Vocal wise HD600 makes them more upfront then the DT880 without sounding out of place.

Decay of sound wise, DT880 and even the AKG701 does a better job then the HD600. Just felt that somehow HD600 is lacking somewhat in this department and as such some of the music I loved on my AKG701 and DT880 didnt sound right. The notes that are suppose to fade slower away sounds much faster resulting a much more "Rough" sound. Im not really sure how to describe it but there is certainly something bugging me here but I cant put it into words.

All in all, HD600 is definitely a headphones in a class of its own. Its very different from the other open cans out there and when compared to its bigger bro the HD650, its slightly different but no where inferior. At 3/4 the price(449) when compared with the AKG and HD650, its producing a level of sound that can par most headphones of this level with its own unqiuness.

This article is base on a comparison as such does not pinpoints at the headphones characteristics alone. Headphones of this class are usually of very high grade and resolves sound much better then most market brands. As such if one was to upgrade from a entry level to this, the quality will definitely be much better no matter its being compared lol. DT880 is a very good headphone from Beyer and probably one of the most worth for money. AKG701 on the other hand is very demanding headphone but if condition are right, its downright fantastic. however I wonder if mine was a serious bad apple, breaking down in 6month and 2 months after the first repair =/

Very big thanks to Stereo for letting me take my time to audition the headphones. Tested a RS2 from grado and that really didnt fit my taste somehow.

Nice review! You'll notice that most of the issues regarding soundstage and decay will solve themselves after the cans are burned in properly. My own experience is that the 600's place you on the front row while the DT880 let you listen from the middle of the audience. It depends on what you prefer. :cans:

Did you get a chance to compare it with the HD650? If you did, any comments why did you choose HD600 over the newer HD650?

the hd600 was burnt in only 48 hrs. Maybe Ill try again after 100+. Personally I felt DT880 had the widest soundstage planar wise (DT880 gives a wide from front and back type of soundstage)for a headphone below 1k and akg701 had the widest all round soundstage and probably one of the better decay effect. Tried AT before but somehow the sound doesnt fit my taste. Maybe should try their AD2k again to reconfirm next time.

Didnt have a chance to compare against a HD650 so wont reallly comment much about it lol.

Edited by tassardar_

Hd600 need to burn in so long?

I'm wondering why manufactures don't "pre-burn-in" headphones, especially if high-end stuff requires burn in. Aren't they worried that their product doesn't shine right out of the box when a consumer tries to compare them.

Edited by phuque

Cause it will be deemed "used" by some. Also it does show that the product is brand new if burning has some effect psychologically lol. Other then that personally I feel is time contrain. To burn in a headphone example akg701, its said to take a really long time, over few hundred hrs or smth lol.

Edited by tassardar_

Cause it will be deemed "used" by some. Also it does show that the product is brand new if burning has some effect psychologically lol. Other then that personally I feel is time contrain. To burn in a headphone example akg701, its said to take a really long time, over few hundred hrs or smth lol.

lol, that's why a burnt-in set should be more expensive. some speaker manufacturers like GMA charge extra for burning-in.

nice review, my fave for classical and jazz is still the K701. and i prefer the HD600 over the HD650 anyday, it just sounds more balanced. but my current reference cans is the Denon D2000 for anything but those 2 genres.

I guess it won't be hard to run electrical signals through the drivers for a period of time before the headphones are assembled. But I guess you're right that it is cost to the manufacturing process and the audiophile market is willing to live with it and also to debate endlessly on the benefits (and lack) of "burn-in" :)

Congrats on the new purchase and a great collection of cans!

I only have DT880/03 to cater to my wide listening genres.

But in my view it does have enough bass slam for classical music & its more balanced sounding than HD600.

Hd600 need to burn in so long?

Based on my own experience, I cannot hear much differences or improvements after 200 or 200++ hours. I'm not going start the whole "burn-in" is necessary story since it's a very subjective and sensitive topic to some but personally I hear a difference after it's fully burn-in.

I suppose those here who have broke enough piggy banks to fund their audio equipments over the years would agree. :D

Is Denon D2000 good? Tried the demo set at Farle (Funan) and I found the HD600 impresses me more. D2000 doesn't do any wrong but it just doesn't blow me away.

This whole concept of burning in is one reason why I'm convincing myself not to buy/sell so quickly. Lol.

Well I will say if you are used to using good headphones, no headphones on first try will impress you. In the past when I was still using cheap headphones and ibud style earpiece, there was really a difference by just hearing a UM1 (my first IEM) and when I tried on MS1(my first good headphone) it was really like a new era of sound for me.

When I switch from MS1 to Ath-A900, it was like whao headphones really do sound different. Before that I thought they will sound different but to the extend of actually noticeable and able to actually pin point them is really something I didnt expect.

I took the next leap into UM2, Triple.Fi and MS2i which really made the grade jump. After that I start to notice that actually all this headphones are so good that to actually say which is better is purely base on preference.

Eventually I settled for a ER4S and AKG701 due to the fact their soundstage is all encompasing and that ER4S really cant be beaten in terms of accuracy and soundstage for its price range. (I lost my triple.fi and thats 500 down the drain. After that never had the will to rebuy it)

Putting it into perspective I guess that maybe for me I can feel the difference and apreciate the headphones due to the fact I didnt start of with the best.

That saying, burn in to me just makes the headphone better sometime. After trying so many headphones and IEM, I will say burn in only affects some brands of headphones and has almost no effect on IEM lol. AKG701 had a change when I burnin while a A900 really cant make me feel much of a difference. Grados when burnt in felt less bright but on overall they arent that affected by the burnt in effect (for the ms1,ms2i,sr125 that I owned before) Maybe the RS series will be affected but till then lol. In the end of the day, I guess if you think theres a difference and the difference is good, thats the best possible outcome for the money you spend :D. Equipment wise thats another story lol.

Well I will say if you are used to using good headphones, no headphones on first try will impress you. In the past when I was still using cheap headphones and ibud style earpiece, there was really a difference by just hearing a UM1 (my first IEM) and when I tried on MS1(my first good headphone) it was really like a new era of sound for me.

When I switch from MS1 to Ath-A900, it was like whao headphones really do sound different. Before that I thought they will sound different but to the extend of actually noticeable and able to actually pin point them is really something I didnt expect.

I took the next leap into UM2, Triple.Fi and MS2i which really made the grade jump. After that I start to notice that actually all this headphones are so good that to actually say which is better is purely base on preference.

Eventually I settled for a ER4S and AKG701 due to the fact their soundstage is all encompasing and that ER4S really cant be beaten in terms of accuracy and soundstage for its price range. (I lost my triple.fi and thats 500 down the drain. After that never had the will to rebuy it)

Putting it into perspective I guess that maybe for me I can feel the difference and apreciate the headphones due to the fact I didnt start of with the best.

That saying, burn in to me just makes the headphone better sometime. After trying so many headphones and IEM, I will say burn in only affects some brands of headphones and has almost no effect on IEM lol. AKG701 had a change when I burnin while a A900 really cant make me feel much of a difference. Grados when burnt in felt less bright but on overall they arent that affected by the burnt in effect (for the ms1,ms2i,sr125 that I owned before) Maybe the RS series will be affected but till then lol. In the end of the day, I guess if you think theres a difference and the difference is good, thats the best possible outcome for the money you spend :D. Equipment wise thats another story lol.

Time to update your signature. :cans: