ablaze

the unthinkable has happened

yeah. thanks Rameish. I know. I was going to test out the voltage from it ..once I get the time.

Ting:

Good excuse to get a newer & better set of cans!  happy.gif

E888 is not a excuse for a big money spending, BTW, I got quite some phones to play with right now. Actually, I miss my ex70 quite a lot for it's comfort and noise blocking nature, maybe can get a px200 if somebody interested to take over my ksc35 for a good price, wink.gif I use 11se driven mx500 in the office and k501 and w1000 at home, ksc35 almost not in use and maybe a close phone for MRT travel is a good idea. Tried the px200 once, sounds quite nice, but looks stupid on my head laugh.gif

yeah. thanks Rameish. I know. I was going to test out the voltage from it ..once I get the time.

Hi Ablaze,

You can check for DC offset very easily if you have a interconnect with stereo plug at both ends of the cable. Just plugged it into the headphone jack, and measured from the expose end.

With your amp turned on, but don't play any music, just measure the the voltage across the Left wrt Ground and Right wrt Ground. Refer to the below pic from headwize for left/right pin.

user posted image

Edited by jtfoo

should that be in AC or DC mode, for the voltage measurements? (thanks for the tip) anyway, voltages for both channels read 0.0-0.1mV. is that right?

also, thanks to Northern Oak, I did a DC leakage test too. whilst playing a mono test tone, with the volume pot about halfway, left channel and right channels show a difference of about 0.1mA (approx 2.5mA vs 2.6mA) that looks alright, yes?

Has to be in DC mode, coz we're looking for DC offset..

If your readings are in the range of 0.1mV in DC for both channels, then it's good.

BTW, pls share how to test for DC leakage.

Ting:

Good excuse to get a newer & better set of cans!  happy.gif

E888 is not a excuse for a big money spending, BTW, I got quite some phones to play with right now. Actually, I miss my ex70 quite a lot for it's comfort and noise blocking nature, maybe can get a px200 if somebody interested to take over my ksc35 for a good price, wink.gif I use 11se driven mx500 in the office and k501 and w1000 at home, ksc35 almost not in use and maybe a close phone for MRT travel is a good idea. Tried the px200 once, sounds quite nice, but looks stupid on my head laugh.gif

Correction, I didn't say big money, only "newer & better". innocent.gif

DC leakage test, from my rudimentary understanding happy.gif

the multimeter has to be connected in SERIES to measure the current.

so,

lets say if i wanna test the right channel, i place one lead of the multimeter touching the right channel of the amp's output, the other lead touching the right channel of the headphone's plug, then you'll need another wire connecting the ground of the amp output to the ground on the headphone (to complete the circuit). repeat for other channel.

the "leaky" channel will read out a much higher current. correct me if I'm wrong, Northern Oak smile.gif

ok, think I've got it narrowed down to the powering up/down of the amp. see, it makes this whooshing sound briefly on each channel on power up/down. I think this might cause momentary voltage/current spikes going into the headphones. the amp tests perfectly fine in operation, so if anything, it has to be this. so I'll be unplugging my cans on power up/down from now on sleep.gif read Pinkfloyd (the X-can-guru)'s replies here

Strictly speaking a tube amp needs to have a load when powering it up or when it's on. But the X-Cans are I think a buffered stage amp so it's more like a solid-state amp with a tube buffer stage (please check this as I am recalling this from memory. Ask Musical Fidelity on this one please. The whooshing is tube rush - that is the tube warming up and stabilizing (normal).

Could your unregulaed power supply have something to do with it? You could send it to Zenn Audio for a check.

You're right about that part I think. Pinkfloyd said the same thing

The X-Can V2 is "not" a tube amp so don't worry about load as it doesn't apply the X-Can V2 which is a hybrid design and strictly not a "valve" amplifier.

There's regulation within the amp itself too, so even if there was a spike in the voltage from the psu, it'd be buffered into reasonable voltage levels by the X-cans regulation.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and posts guys. guess it was just a stroke of bad luck. wacko.gif

Actually Ablaze, there is a possibility I might be wrong as my references were made for V1 or X-Cans. Is Pink Floyd refering to V1 or V2? Do you happen to know that are the differences between the 2 versions of this amp.

he's referring to the V2. I trust him about the X-cans. he's done extensive mods to the X-cans and he's talked a lot with MF too AFAIK. he's the undisputed X-can-man yes.gif