ablaze

the unthinkable has happened

Yesterday, picked up my Sony CD3Ks to take a listen, and SUDDENLY I noticed that the right channel has gone really soft. I changed source, changed cables, bypassed the amp (ie. straight to source) and finally I changed my headphones..but the problem was evident. I'm screwed. the right channel of my beloved (and expensive sad2.gif) CD3Ks was screwy! I tried to balance out the levels by adjusting the left-right balance and although the volumes were roughly equal on each channel now, it was apparent that the right channel didn't sound right. something was noticeably missing, and the right channel distorts occasionally too! wacko.gif

boy am I in for a good time now. dry.gif

Sorry to hear that ablaze, damage to a transducer can unfortunately be expensive. So what you're saying is when you plug in another headphone into the X-Cans it's okay? Hmm.

Please plug in a cheap headphone into the X-Cans to try and find out if its the amp that frying the drivers or there was a failure in the driver itself (very unlikely). Anyway check wish Sony for replacement. You might want to replace both as the other could be half-fried (anyway for transducer matching, they normally change both).

Is this issue related to the X-Cans loss of bass?

check out with sony. but must send to overseas rite?

spore sony doesn't have the part?

I guess it's the cd3k problem inside. def not the source or anything.

btw how much did u pay for ur cd3000

yep. my crappo $20 Philips headphones have a tightly centered image, whilst my Sonys now has a left-sided image sad2.gif

sigh. I wonder what happened. I don't play my stuff at deafening volumes. haven't dropped these cans even once. X-cans? I've no idea. wacko.gif

the X-cans "loss of bass" was not real lah..the tubes just needed time to warm up before the bass came back.

sigh..guess I'll be outta this for a while. crap. dry.gif

Guyferd: yeah..I'm thinking it'll take a LONG time to get them fixed, not to mention, probably a lot of money. and they were about S$650 or so.

Guy,

transducers rarely fail unless there's dc leakage from the amp. The Sony's were fully run in as well. Try Sony Singapore as they probably can bring the the transducers. But before you plug it again into the X-Cans - have it checked out for DC leakage.

did u buy it 2nd hand? or first hand?

2nd hand probably the first owner had already done something to the sony that sort of damaged it already. So it's like just waiting for its time..

But 1st hand.. it's very unlikely that headphones get this kind of problem. Seldom heard. Do check out with the sony anyway.,

Thanks guys. I've emailed Sony SG. sigh.

Guyferd, they were NEW.

Rameish, I've got my multimeter ready. how do I check for DC leakage?

Not that easy - you need to send it in for a tech to look at.

Sniff the driver that died - is there a burnt smell? If there is then I'm 100% certain its the X-Cans.

Another possible cause could be clipping. Generally tube amps don't go well with low impedence (true for speaker based systems as well). That's why the RKV has the impedencer. I guess it's not a fixed rule but do look into it. However, you would have heard the clipping. You dont need loud volume for clipping to occur. Did you hear any form of distortion before the transducer failed?

Anyway, now that the damage is done, plug in a cheap (and disposable) headphone and check the amp (leave it running for several hours). If the transducer on the cheap heaphone fails as well then you know it's the X-Cans.

Fixing the Sony may not cost more than S$250. My advice is fix the Sony and get the amp checked by an independent tech. Only then should you plug in the Sonys into the X-Cans again.

I real sorry this happend to you esp after all you've gone thru.

Rameish:

nope, no burnt smell

nope, no clipping. i really was quite happy with the combo till now.

you think it might be a cold solder joint somewhere? I opened it up and everything looked fine on both sides. dry.gif so looks like the driver's just screwy? (I think now I understand why most higher end cans have one wire going into each side)

tell me about it. before this, I thought headphones (excluding the cables, and the cosmetic scratches) were virtually indestructible. I now stand corrected dry.gif

UPDATE: dropped my Sonys off at the service centre. now to wait to see how much it'll cost ph34r.gif

Sorry to hear about your CD3K, ablaze, hope Sony SG can get it fixed here. If your X-Can is the cause, then that would put me off ... sigh ...

Good Luck !!!

Another possible cause could be clipping. Generally tube amps don't go well with low impedence (true for speaker based systems as well). That's why the RKV has the impedencer. I guess it's not a fixed rule but do look into it. However, you would have heard the clipping. You dont need loud volume for clipping to occur. Did you hear any form of distortion before the transducer failed?

Wow, maybe I should stop using my RS-1s on the MG Head OTL as well. But I use lower gain tubes (5751 & 12AUX as opposed to stock 12AX7) reduce the risk of causing the same thing happening or are there other issues?