heady

Watch out for new DIY DAC

he he he ..who wants to start MO rolling ... anyone interested? Lai lai lai .....

Din eliminate the components for different specs..estimated order from amb alone US$23 as per attached. :grin::party:

[attachmentid=4045]

y1.bmp

sibei gian leh, actually managed to get some components oredi. But, while compiling the BOM via farnell some components need to order like in 10 while u only need one. Damn wasteful man. Looks like a trip to Koba and SLT is needed...

Edited by mouz

he he he ..who wants to start MO rolling ... anyone interested? Lai lai lai .....

Din eliminate the components for different specs..estimated order from amb alone US$23 as per attached. :grin::party:

[attachmentid=4045]

I am interested if you are having 1.

mouz,

Why don't you put an IC and see how many people join? I found many of the items need to get from Digikey. I will share the items I bought from Farnell here.

I also have an extra transformer and RCA socket due to my over-order. Working on my y1 boards this holiday season. Hope to get them done by today.

**UPDATE**

My y1 is working! It sounds very good. One of the best over-sampling DACs I have heard. As a rule, I prefer NOS DACs but this one doesn't sound harsh, even with the Mini3. Will listen to it with my SOHA and JISBO buffers tomorrow, got to go out soon.

Edited by heady

mouz,

Why don't you put an IC and see how many people join? I found many of the items need to get from Digikey. I will share the items I bought from Farnell here.

I also have an extra transformer and RCA socket due to my over-order. Working on my y1 boards this holiday season. Hope to get them done by today.

**UPDATE**

My y1 is working! It sounds very good. One of the best over-sampling DACs I have heard. As a rule, I prefer NOS DACs but this one doesn't sound harsh, even with the Mini3. Will listen to it with my SOHA and JISBO buffers tomorrow, got to go out soon.

bro, where u get your y1? I would like to get 1 also?

thx

Hi Stephen,

You can buy the board from Amb's shop http://www.amb.org/shop/

Some parts can buy from Amb but many others you have to purchase elsewhere like Digikey, Mouser or Farnell.

Regards

**UPDATE**

heady!

please do a full review comparing with all your sources. would be much appreciated!

actually I've already bought the parts from amb but yet to do so for the other parts, but am feeling very lazy. A favourable review might well act as a spur.... :grin:

mouz,

**UPDATE**

Haha! Ok lah, I prob will start a new thread on this once I have time. It's probably gonna be an individual thread on both the PCB set and the parts from farnell. Let me sort out my stuff first yah?

Looks like is super troublesome.... :cry::cry:

Actually the building is not difficult. Got lots more parts than the Mini3 but less sensitive, won't burn so easily like the Mini3 opamps. The only difficult thing is to source the parts. Because the boards are supposed to fit together, need to pay close attention to size of the part or after building, cannot fit together into the Hammond case. :doh:

If you can wait, I am sure some enterprising people will start selling kits, just like the Mini3 kit.

If you can wait, I am sure some enterprising people will start selling kits, just like the Mini3 kit.

Heh heh, I think I know who, no doubt it's a bit more ex but you ll save on the trouble on gathering parts. They've already starting selling B24 PCB already, set will probably come next :)

heady!

please do a full review comparing with all your sources. would be much appreciated!

actually I've already bought the parts from amb but yet to do so for the other parts, but am feeling very lazy. A favourable review might well act as a spur.... :grin:

Pretty hard to do a full review, firstly my ears aren't golden and my writing is not so good lah. Also the output capacitors of the y1 may not be fully run in yet. I will give a quick impression of it compared with AlienDAC and USB-Monica.

The source is my PC, with Foobar and ASIO. Amp is SOHA with JISBO buffers. Phones are DT150. Listening to flac files of jazz audiophile female voices.

Firstly the y1 wipes the floor with the AlienDAC. Both are USB powered but the y1 has much better S/N which shows by the very dark silence between notes and the clarity of the vocals.

The bass is also more extended and there is more definition of the bass guitar riffs and the kick drums. For a OS DAC, the y1 does not sound more shrill than the AlienDAC but the AlienDAC sounds quite congested compare to the y1 due to clarity of the y1.

I have sold my ZeroDAC but I did so because it was too shrill for my taste, which is why I tend to stick to NOS DACs. The y1 is not shrill, in fact it may be a bit too neutral but that is good and it complements the Mini3 well, as the Mini3 tends towards brightness in the treble.

However, the USB-Monica is more musical and detailed than the y1. But then the USB-Monica is not USB powered. It needs AC power and also much bigger than the y1. The USB-Monica uses a buffered SS I/V convertor while the y1 has none. So the comparison is actually not fair. Maybe the y1 has about 85-90% of the USB-Monica sound quality.

So I think the y1 has very respectable performance and sound quality. Very listenable with a nice amp like the SOHA.

Edited by heady

I am interested if you are having 1.

stephen,

I may not order so soon as I don't have time for it yet. Will KIV first or maybe wait for the offer for the full kit.

May also want to wait for mouz's update first before we proceed with this project.

mouz,

I think sharing or group buy on the parts is another way to save costs or reduce the unnecessary stock of excess components.

who knows, hands itchy and i'll dive into this proj :grin:

Edited by adn6244

stephen,

I may not order so soon as I don't have time for it yet. Will KIV first or maybe wait for the offer for the full kit.

May also want to wait for mouz's update first before we proceed with this project.

mouz,

I think sharing or group buy on the parts is another way to save costs or reduce the unnecessary stock of excess components.

who knows, hands itchy and i'll dive into this proj :grin:

I am ok ... just keep me in the loop..Thx