Sign in to follow this  
alamakazam

Where or what to get for wire for connection inside amp?

Yup, tats wat I've been doing with excess cat5 cables for wiring, just 3 wires for left, right and ground. Used it for power supply too. Reason I'm using this is because I'm not so confident with my skills yet, just trying to save on cost wherever I can. There are 8 strands of solid copper in a network cable, so 1 m = 8m of solid copper wires, more than enough for a few projects. Got the idea to use network cables from this site actually.

Yeah, the article isn't really about sound. It's just to say how cat6 cables are better than cat5 in data transfer. Actually, I was thinking since cat6 cables are better in data transfer than cat5, there might be a difference in how it makes it sound as well. Just like how silver is suppose to be better than copper for sound. :)

I also use quite a lot of Cat5e wires too in my builds. I work in IT so got lots of small pieces left from projects so re-cycle lah.

The whole Cat5 and Cat6 cabling system work on the twisted pair which tends to reject noise better. And each twisted pair is also twisted amongst the other twisted pairs. So all the twisting will make the entire cable conform to the standards.

When we take out the wires - poof no more standard already. Just reasonably pure copper wires with good insulation. But never mind lah, we use short lengths only, no worries about all the cross talk etc.

Cheers.

Yeah, i suppose, talking about being unshielded, my recent builds cased in plastic has been picking up quite a bit of handphone, ac, noises from the enivironment. Think I'm gonna case all builds in the future in metallic casings and ground them to signal ground. Those handphone GSM signals in my office is driving me crazy...