Sign in to follow this  
Audioflux

Audio Setups

but those vinly lover had strong negative view against a direct coupled TT that is meant for DJ.

dun worry bout those audiofools, the mk2 is a damm solid deck at any level. zhng it, and it becomes very much better. a great deck for future upgrades, highly recommended.

For budget level, belt driven TT is better than direct coupled. It stands to reason, as the belt and the platter mass helps to damp out the irregularities in the driver motor. Direct coupled TT will allow the speed irregularities to show up more pronounced in the sound as wow and flutter.

Also, the better TT tend to isolate the platter (eg Linn Sondek) or isolate the motor (Rega) to keep noise from the motor from entering the pickup.

As with everything audio, as your equipment get better, you can hear the influences of the TT design which in a less capable setup, you can't hear.

So there is a synergy aspect to all setup. Also personal preference comes into play. So, YMMV. Best is to listen to it yourself and if happy, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

For budget level, belt driven TT is better than direct coupled. It stands to reason, as the belt and the platter mass helps to damp out the irregularities in the driver motor. Direct coupled TT will allow the speed irregularities to show up more pronounced in the sound as wow and flutter.

Also, the better TT tend to isolate the platter (eg Linn Sondek) or isolate the motor (Rega) to keep noise from the motor from entering the pickup.

As with everything audio, as your equipment get better, you can hear the influences of the TT design which in a less capable setup, you can't hear.

So there is a synergy aspect to all setup. Also personal preference comes into play. So, YMMV. Best is to listen to it yourself and if happy, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

I cant quite agree technically bro. :D:D My understanding was that a belt driven device always create more speed irregularities than a direct drive. One can imagine a belt flexing,twisting and fluttering while transferring the power to the platter. This translate to inconsistant speed.

I think the mass of the platter on a direct and belt is the same bah. If the mass is higher, you will need more force to turn the platter, resulting in more stress and flutter on the belt. The dampening of the vibration sounds right though. by keeping the motor away from the pickup, you can effectively isolate the motor's vibration. Although i suspect the belt does induce some vibration.

But i agree with the last part. Go listen and get what u think is best for u.

Edited by rko

No idea abt records but this is what i use in my room to listen to vocals.

CD player - Audio Space 8i MkIII - Sonas Faber Concertos.

I believe speakers are real impt. So i place more money into them and less into the Amp.

You can save alot on cables by getting them from LHS. I use Belden 1313 for speakers and make my own ICs. Power cables too can be sourced from LHS.

Oh yah i think those Phono players need a special input on the amps. So you might have to consider that when choosing your amps. Check with the more knowledgeable guys here.

Edited by Killjoy

I cant quite agree technically bro. :D:D My understanding was that a belt driven device always create more speed irregularities than a direct drive. One can imagine a belt flexing,twisting and fluttering while transferring the power to the platter. This translate to inconsistant speed.

EXACTLY

I think the mass of the platter on a direct and belt is the same bah. If the mass is higher, you will need more force to turn the platter, resulting in more stress and flutter on the belt. The dampening of the vibration sounds right though. by keeping the motor away from the pickup, you can effectively isolate the motor's vibration. Although i suspect the belt does induce some vibration.

But i agree with the last part. Go listen and get what u think is best for u.

EXACTLY

Peace bros. Went through this whole argument 20 years ago when TT was the only credible source. Till today still arguing which is right. And so when like this, it usually means both sides has some good points. So we just let the ears decide. Agree? :))

Peace bros. Went through this whole argument 20 years ago when TT was the only credible source. Till today still arguing which is right. And so when like this, it usually means both sides has some good points. So we just let the ears decide. Agree? :))

Agree Agree. This is a topic for 20 years ago. :yeah::yeah:

20 years later, lets start a new flame war with Digital Vs Analogue. :grin::grin:

Just joking just joking.LOL

No idea abt records but this is what i use in my room to listen to vocals.

CD player - Audio Space 8i MkIII - Sonas Faber Concertos.

I believe speakers are real impt. So i place more money into them and less into the Amp.

You can save alot on cables by getting them from LHS. I use Belden 1313 for speakers and make my own ICs. Power cables too can be sourced from LHS.

Oh yah i think those Phono players need a special input on the amps. So you might have to consider that when choosing your amps. Check with the more knowledgeable guys here.

while speakers are important, amps are just as important. if you have a high-end speakers and low-end amps, chances are, you are not fully utilizing the full potential of your speakers. furthermore, as higher end speakers tend to be more revealing, it will reveal the weaknesses of your amp.

similarly, using a low-end speaker and high-end amp will not fully utilize your amps full performance. so for me, its always a 50/50 priority.

and yes, your amp will need a phono input and a ground input. turntables need to be grounded using a seperate wire see...