Sennheiser HD800

This is interesting...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd800-mod...-thread-446585/

Will try it tonight if I have time...

I was thinking it will just be a matter of time before mods come out. :whistle:

Do update us on finding Kachui. =)

I was thinking it will just be a matter of time before mods come out. :whistle:

Do update us on finding Kachui. =)

Will do. I wonder if the Acoustic Revive Pure Silk Absorber will work better? I don't have it; Kidult, can spare some? :grin:

Edited by Kachui

Will do. I wonder if the Acoustic Revive Pure Silk Absorber will work better? I don't have it; Kidult, can spare some? :grin:

I have some spare. :whistle:

But I doubt it will be useful. the effects of the silk absorber is extreme on a headphone (remember my planned W1000 project). Just imagine using more than one Acoustic Revive RCA Plug on a CDP. That extreme. :shocking:

Edited by jojo_b2

Just tried it...nope...did not work for me...Did as instructed, using an old 100% cotton T Shirt...very easy taking out the dust covers and putting in the strips of cloth. Did an A-B...verdict...prefer without the strips of cloth.

With the mod, the HD800 lost some of its airiness, highs became less sparkly, and loss in clarity and transparency, and sweetness in the mids as well.

Maybe I got the dimensions or the kind of cloth wrong, anyway, I like the HD800 as it is.

will pass u some when we meet up then. maybe can try roll up an inch or two of Pure Silk Absorber works?? who knows?! try try!!

will pass u some when we meet up then. maybe can try roll up an inch or two of Pure Silk Absorber works?? who knows?! try try!!

Ha, ha. Thanks, was thinking of doing that...but probably will not wor out as I don't like sound with the two strips of cloth. Anyway, no harm trying, I guess... :))

Hi,

Has anyone tried HD 800 with Graham Slee Solo. Appreciate your comments. Tks.

I tried HD800 with Solo/PSU, I don't know it is the problem with Solo or Ipod, it sounds like too much dead space between notes, almost no reverberation at all, I don't feel I'm in a room listening to a performance, it sounds like the band is playing in an open air. But the timbre is still much more superb than HD650, the lack of reverberation really turn me off. But maybe it's my system does not match with HD800. HD650 match Solo better with proper reverberation (not excessive to become echoey).

Anyway, I'm coming to the coming meet, wanna give HD800 another try with different amp before totally given up.

I tried HD800 with Solo/PSU, I don't know it is the problem with Solo or Ipod, it sounds like too much dead space between notes, almost no reverberation at all, I don't feel I'm in a room listening to a performance, it sounds like the band is playing in an open air. But the timbre is still much more superb than HD650, the lack of reverberation really turn me off. But maybe it's my system does not match with HD800. HD650 match Solo better with proper reverberation (not excessive to become echoey).

Anyway, I'm coming to the coming meet, wanna give HD800 another try with different amp before totally given up.

I place my bet on the amp 1st (that is if your ipod is at least using lineout). HD800 need a proper amp matching.

I used to own the GS Solo SRG with the PSU1. My personal opinion is that it did not have enough power to drive the HD600 and HD800, which I own.

In my experience, you need a powerful amp to remove the infamous Sennheiser veil, and the Solo (as good as it is) simply isn't powerful enough. This could explain your experience of "dead space between notes" and "no reverberation" with the HD800/Solo combo. I started to search for an amp that will drive my Senns with ease and ended up with the Darkvoice 337 with over 2W of power. Guess what? No more veil... :grin:

Also, the HD800 needs burn-in. Lots of it. It is one can where I could detect a marked improvement after burn-in i.e. the character really changes.

Lastly, the character of the HD800 can be changed with a simple cable swap. For those of you who think the HD800 lacks bass, try it with a Mundorf Silver/Gold cable... :party:

I'm not going into the debate regarding burn-in and cable swaps. Just give a fully burned-in HD800 (with a nice aftermarket cable) a good listen on a powerful amp. I'm sure you'll love the HD800 as much as I do. You have just that opportunity at Can Slam 09 :beer:

I used to own the GS Solo SRG with the PSU1. My personal opinion is that it did not have enough power to drive the HD600 and HD800, which I own.

In my experience, you need a powerful amp to remove the infamous Sennheiser veil, and the Solo (as good as it is) simply isn't powerful enough. This could explain your experience of "dead space between notes" and "no reverberation" with the HD800/Solo combo. I started to search for an amp that will drive my Senns with ease and ended up with the Darkvoice 337 with over 2W of power. Guess what? No more veil... :grin:

Also, the HD800 needs burn-in. Lots of it. It is one can where I could detect a marked improvement after burn-in i.e. the character really changes.

Lastly, the character of the HD800 can be changed with a simple cable swap. For those of you who think the HD800 lacks bass, try it with a Mundorf Silver/Gold cable... :party:

I'm not going into the debate regarding burn-in and cable swaps. Just give a fully burned-in HD800 (with a nice aftermarket cable) a good listen on a powerful amp. I'm sure you'll love the HD800 as much as I do. You have just that opportunity at Can Slam 09 :beer:

x2

On KDS findings. After hearing a HD650 w/ a balanced black dragon cable on my Apache. The veil was almost gone.

On the HD800. burn-in really helps alot on the HD800. The difference is a LOT MORE than significant. =)

i agree with kds5000 :D

his hd800 recabled with gold/mundolf is full of reverbation and full of dynamic bass

i borrowed and compare to stock 1 and found the stock is a b!tch to drive ....it is too dark,very dead and still has the infamous senheiiser veil....

after burning, it's started to ease up on highs,and more smoother midrange ... bass is still not umpph yet :sweat:

but the biggest improvement is on the cable.....dammm the bass is scary.....with layering of texture....yet very full and warm :party:

Hi kds5000, the Mundorf Silver/Gold cable for HD800 is self hand made or?

Where to get this scary bassy cable?

Hi kds5000, the Mundorf Silver/Gold cable for HD800 is self hand made or?

Where to get this scary bassy cable?

if you are interested to make, ahfaudio has this wire in various thickness of 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm..

cant remember the exact prices but 0.5mm is somewhere around $17/metre, 1mm is probably 40+/metre and 1.5mm is 70++ per metre.

so if you intend to go double stranded on each side you might need about 6 metres. i would think 1mM is a good diameter.. its not that stiff.. 1.5mm is too thick and stiff