ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

Running it in now, planning to run it in the whole of tomorrow too. :) Especially since mine has extra BG caps in the PSU too. 20% of a cup of kopi can? :P

Forgotten to mention, Blackgates caps take a super long time to run in. So you've to be very patience. Output tubes of headphone amp can last very long as it generate low current and voltage. So it safe to left it on overnight. I let mine run in for 2 weeks/24hr a day out of the box without any problem. Nowadays, I leave it on for more than 12hrs a day.

But one thing you must note is allow it to warm up at least 15mins at zero volume before listening. Tube amps need time to reach their correct operating temperature. If you play while it cold, the tubes will not be fully operational, amp will starved for voltage and current. Resulting distortion that's both unpleasant to listen and potentially damaging tubes, headphones and even output transformer.

Will share with you the secret of Qi Cones when we meet. :grin:

just heard that Ig's Heaven on Parkway Parade still stock selective Mathmos lava lamp models :drool:

but too far for me to visit :rclxub:

Better get it before it gone forever. Next time you want have to order from UK which is even further. Some nice pic for your viewing pleasure. Look how nice and different from those fake one that Kidult has. :grin: :grin: It so nice and relaxing, watching it while listening.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

make it I'm the 3rd believer :))

Enjoying ah. Shouldn't have share this secret with you guys. Audio is a selfish hobby. Who'll want their rig to lose out to others. Next time I'll have to charge for tips. :grin: I've so many hobbies to fund. :grin:

Edited by ical

Better get it before it gone forever. Next time you want have to order from UK which is even further. Some nice pic for your viewing pleasure. Look how nice and different from those fake one that Kidult has. :grin: :grin: It so nice and relaxing, watching it while listening.

IPB Image

arr...my is Mathmos clone lava lamp la...still work wat :bash:

cheap and good :whistle: they even have more colour variegation than Mathmos :grin:

Edited by kidult

For woody's fan...should get this...by the way, the company's the original manufacturer of the lava lamps in the US...bought the copyright from the creator.

4 feet and made of wood...

ohhh :shocking: it sure sound excellent with the rig :beer:

Forgotten to mention, Blackgates caps take a super long time to run in. So you've to be very patience. Output tubes of headphone amp can last very long as it generate low current and voltage. So it safe to left it on overnight. I let mine run in for 2 weeks/24hr a day out of the box without any problem. Nowadays, I leave it on for more than 12hrs a day.

But one thing you must note is allow it to warm up at least 15mins at zero volume before listening. Tube amps need time to reach their correct operating temperature. If you play while it cold, the tubes will not be fully operational, amp will starved for voltage and current. Resulting distortion that's both unpleasant to listen and potentially damaging tubes, headphones and even output transformer.

Will share with you the secret of Qi Cones when we meet. :grin:

My amp seems to run quite hot though after about 4-5 hours, not like the Yamamoto. Just wondering, if there's a thunderstorm will my amp be in danger? Since I have no surge protector or anything, that's why I haven't left it on overnight.

Yes, I do let it warm up before listening. Not sure if it's the warm-up but yesterday I listened after 2 hours of warming up and it sounded better than I remembered. :)

It normal for tube amp to be hot. My Quad II Fory can fry an egg on top. Yamamoto is using small tubes combine with huge transformers so doesn't run as hot.

If there's a thunderstorm, pull out the plug from the outlet. Consumer surge protector or conditioner can't protect components from lightning, even when it not on? Once hit, anything goes. I've ever seen a TV fried before. However, the flats nowadays have better protection from lightning. But I still remove the plugs when there's a big thunderstorm. Can't afford to take the risk unless I'm looking for excuse to upgrade. :grin:

Once the Blackgates caps runs in, everything will open up. Effect is like day and nite. Another cons is it takes a long time to warm up which most are turn off, about an hours at least. But it'll reward you with great sound.

Edited by ical

Yes, I am always wary about thunder storms after the experience I had some years ago in HK...Lightning struck my apartment building and burned my pre-amp, Nakamichi amp, and even my fridge! :angry: The amp was sent for repair and the technicians could not get it fixed until 4 months later...luckily since it took them such a long time to get it fixed, they decided not to charge me although warranty was over (did not tell them it was burned due to lightning). :P

arr...my is Mathmos clone lava lamp la...still work wat

cheap and good they even have more colour variegation than Mathmos

So defensive! :grin::grin: I think I've a spare one lying around. Can sell if you want.

For those who want some basic info on tube sound, this is quite a good read.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Tube_sound

Yeah caps need the longest time to run in.

A few hundred hours are not uncommon.

But I would think it is not really good for the tube amps to continuously run for a long time. Solid state is slightly the opposite. Solid state prefers

never to power down. Pass labs preamp has no power switch.

Naim especially champions not powering down the switch and many claimed sound is improved after a few months/years of always-on.

5-6 hours is marginally ok but anything longer...... mmmm depends on

the quality of your transformer, tubes prefer a well ventilated or air con room , obviously :)

Still prefer mine from Senn. Cheap and look damn good. :party:

Edited by ical

Unfortunately the senn headphone holder not suitable for my rack.

Crossroad Rack is more suitable...and cheap.

Edited by Kachui

Unfortunately the senn headphone holder not suitable for my rack.

Crossroad Rack is more suitable...and cheap.

and then u'll need the Stax raincoat :dance: