Sign in to follow this  
mambo_k

AKG HeadPhones

hey everyone

i am now considering to get a pretty decent headphones

i am going to use it with my computer or my mini-hifi

listening to music cds, mp3s and dvds etc

i have shortlisted the following 2 headphones.

akg k501 and k240

i am wondering which is the better one? since in price-wise, its pretty much the same. i have listened to both headphones and both sounds equally good to me.

anyway whats the difference between the studio and monitor version of the k240? i am not so much of a technie so i dont really understand what does the 55ohm means or have any effects on the sound quality. other headphones recommendations are greatly appreciated. my budget will be less than 300 dollars.

another question is that, do i need a headphone amplifier? i read somewhere that the headphone jack of most hifi are of mediocre quality and with a headphone amplifier, the quality will greatly differ. whats the price range of these headphone amplifier usually?

and is there any websites you can direct me to read up more information about these? thanks a lot.

My experience with the AKG K501 so far. I really love the midrange. It has fairly lean bass (subjective to individual taste).

I'd say it's necessary to use them amped as the impedance belie how difficult it is to drive them, i.e. you have to turn up the volume fairly high to get a reasonable amount of sound. In fact worse than the 300ohm Senn HD600. Quality commercial amps start at around around SG$300 cheaper if DIY say SG$100 + or - (prices are indicative). Alot more saving if you don't mind used.

Try reading through this search I did on Head-Fi for AKG K501 & for AKG K240 here

I have the k501s the mids are very good laugh.gif. The bass gets much better after you pass 100 hours of burnin rolleyes.gif

The soundstage is really great I love it I never knew cans could sound that wide.

They do need quite a bit of power though my soundcard can barely power them. haha.gif

Hope that helps..

headphone.gif

welcome to SGH....this is your first post rite?? yeah jump.gif

i personally own a AKG501.

its soundstage is wide and its sounds airy.... the high is fantastic and the bass is just enough for me, not too strong but fast and accurate.

but many ppl claim that it's no bass.. and it's a bit dry

i seriously think that it's a good headphones for classical musics and female vocals.

there is 1 thing you have to take note, this headphone require more power to drive though it's only 120ohm.

i used to use my SB Live to drive it, it's very nice.

and for AKG 240, i have tried it once at our SGH meet, i don't like the semi-closed hp, which sounds a bit "far away'.

if you want it, may be can get it from voxel in this forum, he wants to sell it for around 140.

To use this hp, i strongly encourage you to use an amp to drive it.

it you don't want to invest in an amp, why don't you consider a grado,

matboon is selling a sr-60 for 85.

good luck.

its soundstage is wide and its sounds airy.... the high is fantastic and the bass is just enough for me, not too strong but fast and accurate.

but many ppl claim that it's no bass.. and it's a bit dry

and for AKG 240, i have tried it once at our SGH meet, i don't like the semi-closed hp, which sounds a bit "far away'.

if you want it, may be can get it from voxel in this forum, he wants to sell it for around 140.

CORRECTION : voxel has been selling his K501 for around 140, and now he is listening to his K240DF on the computer biggrin.gif

Hi mambo, i suggest u give koss or grado a try. For the AKG headphones you listed, 501 is not good for DVD playback, and 240 DF/M cannot be used directly on mini-hifi or computer. 240S is quite different from DF/M. It is 55Ohms & 86dB, also quite hard to drive.

Damn AKG gotta pick their act up on the bass/ There is rumors of a new model where bass rocks.

wortel. bass is not everything.

IIRC the 240 is easier to drive than the 501. this means that you would need an amp less for the 240 than the 501.

the headphone jack of a GOOD integrated stereo amp is IMO almost as good (or as good, or better) as any dedicated headphone amp. an example of what i would call a good built in headphone jack is the one present on the rotel ra-01/02.

If you don't want to invest in an amp, why don't you consider a grado,

matboon is selling a sr-60 for 85.

Agree, STRONGLY recomend Grado for computers and Hi-Fi with less wonderfull headphone output. My bro got a pair of SR60 to use on his computer about 1/2 year ago and has been very happy ever since. If you want better there is also SR125 and onward.

How about the Beyer DT531?

Comment by Snufkin n lini of Headfi seems quite good.

Anyone else who has heard it?

Or you can try DT250-80 or DT250-250.

hi

can someone explain more to me about the difference between 55ohm and 200ohm?

what does ohm do or mean actually?

in physics they mean resistance right?

thanks

mambo, ohm is the unit for resistance and impedance. U got this right.

Cans of different impedance will demand compatible amps for optimal performance. Those of higher impedance is a more difficult load to drive while the lower ones suck more current. In laymen's talk, the cans' impedance will give U a crude indication how much volume is needed to make them sound loud.

wow mackie. I've never seen it explained that well. laugh.gif

Edited by Wortel

wow

so a k240 55ohm is better than one with 200ohm?

well i just cant make up my mind between the k240 and k501

k240 is better for dvds due to the bass

but k501 is more comfortable on my ears and more eye-pleasing

well i am thinking of getting both first....then sell one of them off after i made my decision

mambo k,

actually mackie oversimplified it for u because you're not gonna use a tube amp right? Grado headphones give tube headphone amps a hard time in general - as they requre current to drive them well (something solid state amps can deliver even with battery power). Look out for sensitivity expressed in dB. The higher the dB the louder it would go. So watch out for both ohms and dB.

Edited by Rameish