blackmouth0

ATH CK 100 First impression!

Guest dragonboy

you can sell off your TF10 since you probably got it at a lot lower price comparing to the current selling price for TF10 by logitech :grin: It is unlikely you'll make a loss :yes:

Tried the CK100s but bought the SE530s in the end. Vocals were truly excellent on the 100s, but couldn't quite catch what was missing behind it. Something I couldn't do without.

Though the SE530s didn't come close to my ER4s in terms of its highs, they produce a fuller sound with much more strength (thanks to additional woofers). Probably, what I will consider the most balanced or neutral for all the triple drivers I have tried.

Couple of questions:

1)Would these go well with rock and electronica music? (Majority of my collection is classical and vocals, but I would like to know how they perform with other genres)

2)Anyone know if other tips will fit on these?

To be more specific, I have a pair of Klipsch X5 and would like to know if the Klipsch tips will fit. I also have a pair of UE Super.Fi 3 and would like to know if these tips would fit if the Klpsch tips are too small.

Thanks

The sound tubes for the 100s are way thicker( and a lot sturdier) than my E530s or ER4s. However they (SE reps) were able to squeeze a pair of rubber Shure triple flanges onto them. It might actually take some time for you to put them on. I'm pretty sure comply tips or black foams with a less stretchable core, will not fit the 100s.

Edited by palestofwhite

hmm...how much would the ck 100 cost very keen...as i am flying off on monday on a trip...thinking of getting to be use on the plane...

Edited by samsang

I went to Woodlands Stereo and bought the AT rubber tips, but

went back and realised the tips from Stereo had a smaller diameter

than the original tip for CK100.

Any idea where to buy dedicated tips for CK100?

Sorry not to spoil this thread, just to give some suggestion, for those who haven't bought CK100, you may try Superlux HD381:

http://www.superlux.com.tw/new/html/Frame1.html

It comes in 3 flavors: Bass heavy (HD381), Flat (HD381F), and Clear (HD381B).

As I'm writing this reply, I'm currently A-B ing ATH-CK100 and HD381F (the white color).

I bought all the 3 flavors of this HD381 series from Superlux, for less than SGD 100.-. It is much cheaper when we buy 3 flavors all together, or it is about less than SGD 50.- each, if we just buy one model.

I thought a few times before I write this reply, should I write it or not, because I don't want to spoil this thread. Finally I decided to reply, to share my impressions.

After listening to HD381F, CK100 sounds imbalance, weak bass and colored mids. Again it is my personal musical preference, please don't get offended :14-00000002:

HD381F outshines CK100 in almost every department. Very sweet & natural midrange, beautiful high, and excellent bass.

The only thing CK100 wins is, the isolation and comfort. CK100 build and design is really good and comfortable.

But sound wise, regardless the price, I still prefer HD318F just for the sound quality alone. It is really, really, really GOOD :thumbup:

My main complaint with CK100 is the midrange, it doesn't sound natural to my ears, too much colored. Vocal sounds weird. The treble quality is pretty nice, but I expect more for it's price range. The bass is actually weaker than the HD381F

Please note, HD381 series is a semi open IEM, it has ventilation hole on it's chamber, so isolation is below average IEM. But maybe that what makes it sounds so good, with excellent imaging. Also volume setting is slightly above CK100 for the same listening volume.

As for my musical preference, I like natural mid (this is a must), transparent high, and slightly boosted bass (just slightly, I hate boomy bass). And HD381F is just for me :cans: So, please note, my comments here is purely base on my personal musical preference. Others might have different taste, and might like CK100.

All three flavors of the HD381 series sounds very good, depend on your preference. For quiet environment, I prefer the Flat White HD381F. For noisy environment The Bassy Black HD381 is better.

You can test the bass response using this file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmmzyy2mynd

I created it using Audacity (freeware). It is beats sound, from 20 Hz to 60 Hz (4 beats each freq, 10 Hz increment).

Some headphones I tested failed to produce clean beat sound, especially @ 20 Hz. Some break-up, some distorted with 'ringing' sound that seems to come from the chamber's resonance. My full size cans ATH-M50 pass the test with flying colors, full body beat sound without any ringing distortion. The Superlux HD381 also pass the test with very minimum ringing.

Some of the IEMs under test (Superlux HD381 series on the right side):

IPB Image

Hope this information is useful for the readers, as an alternative, before shopping on big buck IEM. :cans:

Edited by bpribadi

Is it sold in SG? Better than CK100 in every aspect seems a bit hard to believe but nevertheless it still caught my attention.

Is it sold in SG? Better than CK100 in every aspect seems a bit hard to believe but nevertheless it still caught my attention.

Good question, I don't know whether it is available in Sgp or not, I haven't checked. My brother introduced me to Superlux, he is from Indonesia, so he bought the HD381 set from Jakarta.

HD381F closest sound signature with the well known IEM in the previous picture in page 2, is with UE Triplefi 10, but HD381F bass is better.

From all the IEMs in the picture, CK100 mids is the most unnatural for my taste.

But please note, HD381 series is semi open IEM (quite rare I think), so sound isolation is not as good as normal IEM. it is not suitable for noisy environment.

IPB Image

Edited by bpribadi

Good review of the HD381, Bram. Good to see you writing again. I think you are right about the "semi-open" nature giving the phones good mids. I find this is so also for headphones, not just IEMs.

Hi Heady! How are you?

I've a bit of time to play with headphones again :D

The reason I replied here is because I'm a bit disappointed with CK100 sounds, so for those who interested to get it, better check other models first before spending big buck on CK100.

And I'm really impressed with this Superlux HD381F, less than SGD 50, but sounds way beyond it's price. I wonder if this model available in Singapore.

You can come to my place to try it if you are curious :D