Sign in to follow this  
nofing

Opinions on the CI Audio VHP-2

I saw the ad by Musiclink AV on this forum and doing a little search threw up some interesting stuff about this amp. Apparently, it's comparable with the Naim headline2 which I found was a very nice amp with the Hd650. But I've told myself not to jump the gun (again) and to seek out other people's opinions first and probably go audition the VHP-2 myself before coming to a decision.

So, anyone has experience with this amp or any advice for me do post on! On a side note, I must stress again that the diva headamp is doing fine with the hd650 so please go easy on the poisoning though as always my hands are itchy again.

Guest dragonboy

Just came back from berlin and along the way I had the chance to try VHP-2 with some of my stuff... like the old trusted ultrasone ED9 and already ordered HD800.

Unfortunately, the amp didn't seem to do a fantastic job with the HD800. My last try with the HD800 was the earmax and it was really memorable and lasting :wub: ... can't wait to lay my hands on it. Thinking that it could be due to the HD800 (300ohms I think), I decided to give it a 2nd chance with the ED9. It seem that the VHP-2 didn't seems to have enough juice even with the ED9 :no: . It sounded lean.... even bright. I was surprise with the outcome since I'm always pairing the Ed9 with the Iqube whenever I'm on the go and it never made me feel that taking my Ed9 off. :dance:

Just came back from berlin and along the way I had the chance to try VHP-2 with some of my stuff... like the old trusted ultrasone ED9 and already ordered HD800.

Unfortunately, the amp didn't seem to do a fantastic job with the HD800. My last try with the HD800 was the earmax and it was really memorable and lasting :wub: ... can't wait to lay my hands on it. Thinking that it could be due to the HD800 (300ohms I think), I decided to give it a 2nd chance with the ED9. It seem that the VHP-2 didn't seems to have enough juice even with the ED9 :no: . It sounded lean.... even bright. I was surprise with the outcome since I'm always pairing the Ed9 with the Iqube whenever I'm on the go and it never made me feel that taking my Ed9 off. :dance:

Time to meet up... :call:

Wow, you are the second one I know in this forum to have tried the HD800.

By the way, looking at the pictures below, it looks like the amp used during the official launch was a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear headphone amp? The amp in the picture of the launch is blurred but its colour, size and layout of of the faceplate sure look like the Black Cube Linear...wonder if it was chosen for the launch due to the synergy between the amp and the HD800 or because it is a fellow german brand.

IPB ImageIPB Image

nofing, why not Graham Slee Novo? since it reference was based on HD650.

Edited by kidult

nofing, why not Graham Slee Novo? since it reference was based on HD650.

Or a Solo for that Matter. The Solo out-of-the-box sounded very good on the stock and my Moddified HD650s. :party:

:sign0006: My 200th post!

@Dragonboy

Your Earmax Silver Ed is really good for the HD6xx. I remember trying it in the last meet, the power it gives the HD650 really something for a REALLY small amp! I bet the HD800 would also be a good pair too. :thumbup:

Edited by jojo_b2

Or a Solo for that Matter. The Solo out-of-the-box sounded very good on the stock and my Moddified HD650s. :party:

:sign0006: My 200th post!

Nofing: X2 on the Solo. Only around SGD920 (with PSU1, around SGD650 without PSU1) if ordered from UK at current exchange rate, and that's with shipping. http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?sea...olo&act=viewCat

The prices listed on UK sites are usually with 15% VAT which will be deducted for overseas order.

Jojo: congrats on your 200th post!

Yep I was going to mention the solo too but because the VHP-2 has local distributor and I feel more comfortable knowing that there's some form of local warranty hence I considered it first. The solo looks tempting too.

Also, I tried the earmax SE during the recent meet with the hd650 and compared with the naim headline2, I definitely preferred the latter. I guess system synergy might have played apart too though both had CEC players as sources with the naim paired with the lower priced one.

PS: Could anyone help me with ordering the solo if I do decide to go for it? Don't have any means of ordering online.

Edited by nofing

@theory_87: Would you consider vhp-2 or solo? :D Want to see if there're any brave souls willing to take the plunge first.

I'm seriously considering Solo. VHP-2 seems to be hype. Solo is the safe bet since i have Novo with me. Maybe ordering next week if everythings go as I plan.

Edited by theory_87

I saw the ad by Musiclink AV on this forum and doing a little search threw up some interesting stuff about this amp. Apparently, it's comparable with the Naim headline2 which I found was a very nice amp with the Hd650. But I've told myself not to jump the gun (again) and to seek out other people's opinions first and probably go audition the VHP-2 myself before coming to a decision.

So, anyone has experience with this amp or any advice for me do post on! On a side note, I must stress again that the diva headamp is doing fine with the hd650 so please go easy on the poisoning though as always my hands are itchy again.

Tried this in Taipei with the HD650 and I wasn't very impressed.

Thanks for your impression too John. So far it seems those who've tried the vhp-2 all say it's pretty bad. The solo does look tempting.