Sign in to follow this  
ito

comparison of home amp...be it cheap or expensive...

i would like to ask for comparison of all home amp,be it the cheaper type or expensive type,tubes amp or solid state...for example,short review of the findings of the type of amp model,i am asking on behalf for my taiwan friend,so yah...hope to get so replies from you guys...thanks so much... :wub:

Edited by ito

Your question is too general. There's too many amps in the market and I believe none of us have heard all of them to compare. You can check out Headfi, plenty of info there. That's where I do my research when I started headphone rig months back.

yah,i know very general,i am just asking for some knowledge of the different amp you all have tried on before...to get a rough idea as he cant test alot of thing...no choice but to ask ask here for him...i told him the same thing as calvin have said...but to help him out,i asked the question so hope can get some comments.thanks alot

Hi Ito,

May be a background would be nice like:

- What Cans he plans to use. synergy between amp and Cans is very important... learned the lesson a hard way too. lol! :rclxub:

- Amount he's willing to spend? Some amps cost 200SGD up new and some 100 sgd 2nd hand. The most expensive one I've heard/read of is a 500K USD hand made amp made w/ a full Silver Body casted. I can't remember the name though but found it an interesting article. loL!

- type of music. some amps are definitely made for vocals Tubes are the general forerunners on this. SS usually wins on dynamics. But I may be over generalizing but. It is the usual case.

This thread address a similar dilemma from me.....

My source is primarily ipod (ipod nano, classic 6g, iphone) with 256k to 320k aac.

Music genre is likely 40%vocal, 25% light classical, 20% pop, 10% podcast, 5% light jazz.

Required to be portable or at least transportable. No Cap required. IEM for daily commuting in

public transport. currently using Westone UM1 for good cable and easy drivability.

I am not a bass head. More leaning to mid range and maybe treble.

Prioritise on Timbral accuracy and wide soundstaging.

E.g. harbeth or BBC sound and solid state amp

Originally wanted iqube/AT CK100 combination.

but recently Stereo has D10 promo.

Any further comments on above musical preference?

Any idea whether cable material in LOD (e.g. silver, alloy, copper) goes well with iqube? How abt D10?

This thread address a similar dilemma from me.....

My source is primarily ipod (ipod nano, classic 6g, iphone) with 256k to 320k aac.

Music genre is likely 40%vocal, 25% light classical, 20% pop, 10% podcast, 5% light jazz.

Required to be portable or at least transportable. No Cap required. IEM for daily commuting in

public transport. currently using Westone UM1 for good cable and easy drivability.

I am not a bass head. More leaning to mid range and maybe treble.

Prioritise on Timbral accuracy and wide soundstaging.

E.g. harbeth or BBC sound and solid state amp

Originally wanted iqube/AT CK100 combination.

but recently Stereo has D10 promo.

Any further comments on above musical preference?

Any idea whether cable material in LOD (e.g. silver, alloy, copper) goes well with iqube? How abt D10?

Hi Jpcc,

Try posting on the Portable section. But from what you posted don't settle for 2nd best (or on sale..loL!). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying D10 is bad but if you already found that the iQube is very good for you. then get it or save up a bit to buy it. this may shield you from an unwanted buy and sell cycle that could translate to some lost in investment. I unfortunately had a couple of those cycles already. :rclxub:

Ask nicely and the friendly folks in stereo might be able to help you work out something. :thumbup:

Edited by jojo_b2

yah,i know very general,i am just asking for some knowledge of the different amp you all have tried on before...to get a rough idea as he cant test alot of thing...no choice but to ask ask here for him...i told him the same thing as calvin have said...but to help him out,i asked the question so hope can get some comments.thanks alot

hihi jojo,currently...he would like to use his AKG 601,701 more that the other....but he have HD600 and Beyer DT880 600 ohms too...i know that jojo have heard quite a number of homes amp,so can you spend some of your precious time to give a comment on the amp and synergy with what headphone...he dun mind changing to other headphones if he can get nice sound...

haha! Yes I've heard a few but not really that much. To think I've been w/ this hobby for a year only. :blush:

Anyway, all those three cans you posted Eric Chia has. He may be able to point out his preference.

On a personal note, I found that the DT880 & HD650 paired the best is on a E.A.R. HP 4 this one one of the more expensive amps It trried. This can buy 2-3 yamamotos. :sweat:

The HD650 can pair with the SOLO very well. But Eric found that the DT880 and K701 wasn't really ok. It can be found in the CI Audio amp thread.

the Earmax also drove the HD650 well based on my sonic memory. :think:

Sorry for the little information but I have little experience with the K701 as I didn't really like its Sound Signature. :mellow:

@Eric

:helpsmilie:

how about you telling how the yamamoto sound and also the LC3 that you have used to own before..?thanks alot bro...

how about you telling how the yamamoto sound and also the LC3 that you have used to own before..?thanks alot bro...

In terms of all the three cans. The 701 (Iwas able to try Erics on Kidults Yammy) and the Beyers won't get any justice on the Yamamoto alone from a source. The HD650 is driven enough for my taste. But if you have a more powerful amp the HD650 would shine even further. It's not a mile length in difference I believe if I add a Preamp. I might get that what I want later. :think:

Good thing my taste isn't that hard to please. Contented w/ the HD650 (recabled and Woodified) + Yamamoto pairing. As said might get a preamp in the future. Ehem..RSA... :sweat:

The HD650 seems to be driven better on the LC3 but. In terms of dynamics. I like the Yamamoto better. And the highs seems to be better on my Yamamoto. But the BASS on the LC3 is very good with a fuller bottom. One major point for me is that the Yamamoto seems to have a darker background than the LC3 the silent parts of the song is very quite making you hear those details.

The Beyer DT880 600ohm is ok. But you will get that feeling that it needs way more juice as you haven't hit those sparkling highs and deep bottom. Compared to the HD650 which just lack just a little bit of oomph on the Yammy. :dance:

Again I didn't try a 701 on my LC3. :blush:

Yup...agree that preamp is the way to go...my setup of Diva preamp and novo has no problem at all driving my HD650. :))

My Pre amp might be an SS. As I told you guys really thinking of an RSA. There should only be one on the list. =)

:sign0006:

pre & power amp also quite difficult to match if they are not same brand.

the chances of getting good sound normally is to get same brand.

Yamamoto have pre amp too CA-04 Yen 198,000.00 (exclude GST) :grin::grin:

Yamamoto CA-04

IPB Image

:b2t