Sign in to follow this  
ito

comparison of home amp...be it cheap or expensive...

:sign0006:

pre & power amp also quite difficult to match if they are not same brand.

the chances of getting good sound normally is to get same brand.

Yamamoto have pre amp too CA-04 Yen 198,000.00 (exclude GST) :grin::grin:

Yamamoto CA-04

IPB Image

:b2t

Youre bad. That is exactly 2 Yamamotos. I believe they also have a DAC. But still might not be enough fpor the HD650 though.

:b2t

what i have heard are limited. cus i dont really go audition if i dont find it interesting :grin:

both AKG 701 & Beyer DT880 600ohm are not my cup of tea. sorry to say I never like their sound :bash:

there's only one amp i tried which can drive DT880 600ohm was the E.A.R HP 4. it really sound so nice that my ED9 + Yama can throw into sea :rclxub:

another will be Cary Xciter + GS1000 this is another great set up.

also B22 + HD650 balanced recable.

Edited by kidult

My Pre amp might be an SS. As I told you guys really thinking of an RSA. There should only be one on the list. =)

Most usually add a tube pre to ss amp to achieve a slightly tubey sound. I've yet to hear it the other way round which honestly doesn't make sense at all. You've to have a reason for every additional component. Everything counts in audio. Upgrading blindly is like going in circle. There wouldn't be any break through or improvement, it just sound different.

Pre is like source which need to be on par or better than the amp. So adding a pre might not always be a good idea as matching is one major problem. As mentioned by Kidult, it always advisable to use the same brand. Diva that Kachui use is so far the most easy pre to match. Decision is not up to you which pre you like to use, it depending on whether your present amp like it or not. This is the reason why most will request for home audition if possible.

Bro, all upgrades regardless of cable or component has to do done one at a time with at least three to four months break just to make sure that your stuff is burn in so that you can make the right decision. It all about synergy. One weak link or mismatch will bring down the whole system.

Edited by ical

Thanks for the tip Cal. The problem is it might be a bit tricky to audition as of now. Based on my personal knowledge, I only know one here in SG that has the RSA amp I want to get. :blush:

My decision is also based on the idea that if the amp doesn't really fit the Yama as a Preamp. I can still be able to use both it's balanced and unbalanced outputs to drive the HD650 exclusively. And I may also go for a HD800 in the future if I do get this amp and not buy any headphone by that time. :drool:

I still don't know how it would pair with the HD800 but that amp is already known for its power to the HD650. I also love the RSA house sound. But it's really pricey though, to the point I may have to wait till after my wedding. lol! :sweat:

If I get the itch early. I may go another route such as a DAC with Preamp functionality. This one I can actually ask for an audition. Just need to bring my Yamamoto with me. Might get a bundle also. =)

@ ito

I apologize for the OT. But I also have a dilema. lol! =)

Edited by jojo_b2

it is alright jojo!haha,i am also in dilema...and my friend too...LC3 good or DV amp better...that is the dilema

i want to ask jojo about LC3,when we open up the cover of the amp,there is this 2 swithches right beside the vol knob...what is it?do you happen to toggle it and try b4?

hmm?

i heard some1 talking bout my 3 cans? :D

for beyer dt 880 600 ohm it is an old hag to drive it even for it's amp the beyer A1 couldnt drive to my expectation

like my beyer is sleeping....havent woke up fully very sluggish and slow....high and low is not to my expectation...it is different when i tried with the EAR HP4 ....omg the soundstage is like Hi Fi speakers (electrostatics range) and kidult, jojo and me was shocked that it can beat all our high ends cans....Ed9,Hd650 modded and audio technica W5000 ....

akg 701 however the is 1 weakness i dun like is the high sibliance and has polite bass and very cold soundsignature ....u need a solid state amp to make it more dynamic but in cost of highs and the sibliances and very very cold...

that y i got it recabled and drivers modded ....it gave me more deeper bass and more tamed highs and not so dry soundstage...i going back to kl to grab it and hopefully it can wow me....since my friend did 7 times modding the damm akg for me .....

the senheiiser valgrind modded hd650 is my favourite when it is paired with B22 with XLR..... i think hd600 and hd650 will fly with any balanced amp :thumbup:

i thinking in a long run i will be getting a balanced amp and have all cans recabled to XLR...

Beyer i sending back to recable and have it run on dual entry cable like the senheiiser and making it easily to drive and improve the mids and more wider soundstage

in a short sentence, if u getting a beyer dt880 600 ohms, akg 701 and senheisser hd650....

make sure u get a very very powerful amp to drive them......all of them r high impedance cans except for the akgs which has the lowest efficently....

akg goes well with heedcanamp,stello hp amp,cayin hp amp and some tubes amps

beyers well unless u have deep pockets dun get the 600 ohms, get the 250 ohms for easily to drive and spare yur wallet ....beyers goes extremely well with tubes amps

senheiiser hd600 and hd650 well u need recable to get the best performance out of them ..better if u get a balanced amp to go with them.. they will show u the true side of senheiisers...

Edited by Eric Chia

well if u put in this way....

my 3 cans r the hardest to drive but has the most potential when push to the max....

balanced setup is way to go and it is the end of the path of the audio journey.... :D

but in cost of time and money and effort.....

trust me u will go there eventually end of the journey....

if whether u dare to take the step forward and explore the unexpected....

Trust me, I heard it thousand of times and yet to see it happen on anyone. :grin: Unless you don't surf any forum or audition any stuff and keep a closed ears. :grin:

Edited by ical

it is alright jojo!haha,i am also in dilema...and my friend too...LC3 good or DV amp better...that is the dilema

anyone know this one,i open the LC3..the top cover if the amp section,i saw 2 switches just directly beside the vol knob....do someone happen to toggle it and know what is the switches?i am asking jojo this question because he use the LC3 before i guess...do you happen to know or saw these switches ?and what it do?