Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Meier-Audio

Check out the Meier-Audio site especially the new Cables page.

nice!!

last time I kept checking that page but it wasn't up yet

hm.. anyone wanna try his IC ? laugh.gif

You'd be lucky to find a pair of those with that price terminated to some form of cables!

EHLBACH mini-to-mini 120 Ohm adapter

This adapter also has been custom-made for Meier-Audio by Oehlbach. It can be placed between a 3.5 mm headphone output and headphone and effectively increases the output impedance. Several headphones react very favourable to such an increased impedance. Please do not hesitate to ask whether your headphone might benefit. The adapter comes standard with the PORTA CORDA.

Just asking will it benefit 16ohm earphones. Most probably not right?

... Please do not hesitate to ask whether your headphone might benefit...

Just asking will it benefit 16ohm earphones. Most probably not right?

No harm in asking him directly.

Increasing the output impedence generally results in more mellow highs and fuller bass (so if you have a bright sounding, or lacking in bass headphone/earphone then you may try this). However, increading the impedence by more than 3 x results in no further change in sound and attenuates the signal. So the earphone may not go loud enough with say a PCDP. It depends on you sensitivity rating - in dB.

So does that mean all those impedance matching crap i learn in poly, doesn't work for hifi? unsure.gif

I thought impedance matching like 0ohm to 0ohm, is needed for best effect/signal strength?

heh for Euro/US 120, I would've expected some Cardas/WBT male RCA.

2 pairs of WBT Midline RCA's would run you down US$80+ in cost alone. I doubt you'd make cables with them and sell for US$110 in such a case. =)

Just asking, generally those portable players (MP3 Discman MD....) what kind of output impedance do thye have?

2ndly anyone something similar adapter but convert to around 48ohm output one.

So does that mean all those impedance matching crap i learn in poly, doesn't work for hifi? unsure.gif

I thought impedance matching like 0ohm to 0ohm, is needed for best effect/signal strength?

Impedance matching just allows optimal transfer of power from the amp to the drivers. However, it does not guarantee better sound.

Lower impedance outputs allow the amp to better control the driver movement to the extend of it's limits.

OTOH, high impedance might allow more efficient transfer of power to power hungry headphones.

You'll need to find the sweet spot between the two. =)

There's the electrical side of things which you're taught in poly and then there's the reality of your 2 ears during audition. Lets put it simply - 2 caps with identical specs will sound different in a give circuit.

There is also a lot of hi-fi vodoo - so be aware - don't become a skeptic without trying but neither become a hi-fi cult member. LOL

Meier Audio update (a little late): Corda Poweramp-1 to work in conjunction with the PreHead.