Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Soundstage

I have this question because personally I have not have any experience with good headphones. The thing is, do good headphones have soundstage like those of speakers? Airy, sharp imaging and clearly from a specific spot in front? Or anything even somewhere close?

Edited by lekguan

A short reply, yes.

It's not so much of the price but the compability and synergy of the entire setup. Take note that soundstaging has an inverse relationship with imaging. Generally, open-backed cans have a more open sound and at times, this translates to wider soundstaging. AKG 501 is strong in this area.

Edited by Mackie

headphone's soundstage, commonly referred to as 'headstage' can never rival those in speakers. Good speakers' soundstage are huge, and very 'wow'. Whereas headstage is in your head and it's considerably smaller as compared to speaker's. I've not tried AKG K1000 though. said to have the biggest soundstage for headphone, so I can't comment.

But of course with good headphone(eg 880,etc), you can easily pin-point the instrument placement, and the vocalist is right in the centre. Usually once you hit better headphones the sound becomes more like '3d' , some offering better 3d, transparency and layering that can't be found in cheaper phones.

Mackie's suggestion of AKG K501 is one example of medium priced headphone that has good soundstage. So it's not always necessary to spend more to get that 'soundstage and airiness'.

Edited by Blues

hm...for airiness, i agree with Tee's point of view, Senn HD 200 is strong in this area for its price of around 100 bucks. For soundstage wise, i concur with Mackie's suggestion, akg k501 is good in it. I had personally listen to akg before, but to me, it's a bit bright, and lack in bass. yeah..i agree, it did have bass for some musical instrument, but not always there, i don't know how to define it properly. i think anyone who has experience with akg k501 would know it better. some says that akg k501 bass is fast and accurate. erm..sort of i can say, but cannot say that it has bass based on this statement. hehe...so i still dun think akg has bass tongue.gif

dt 990 not bad too, laidback sounding and got a fairly good wide soundstage. u can try it...but it's more expensive than akg k501.

I have this question because personally I have not have any experience with good headphones. The thing is, do good headphones have soundstage like those of speakers? Airy, sharp imaging and clearly from a specific spot in front? Or anything even somewhere close?

IMO, headphones are far form being able to recreate soundstage (crossfeed aside), we are talking about direct comparison with speakers here after all. However when you take specific context such as airiness, imaging & focus it is already there albeit within the 'headstage'.

The AKG K1000 are probably the only thing closest to recreating soundstage. The soundstage is still pretty small compared with speakers but they offer a more coherent spread located somewhere infront/ahead of your face area rather than the usual headstage (Left-Center-right) & sounds larger than most headphones.

better? maybe or maybe not. happy.gif

They are diff. Some hps are very x also.

my -2cts regarding the diff are as follows:

stereo - u r watching/listening a concert

multi-channels - u r in the concert

stereo hp - u r the artist in the concert

laugh.gif

I quite agree with your description actually. Kind of why I like headphones so much. I like being apart of the music.

OK... so it all boils down to personal preference... AGAIN

However, I feel that speakers sound more realistic and have no weight on your ear. The bass can really shake everything, unlike only your ears in headphones.

Edited by lekguan

lekguan, which speakers are you comparing with?

I asked pretty much the same question here a while ago and was suggested the AKG K1000(£460). I got them mail order knowing I could send them back if I was displeased. I am unbelievably glad I tried them! They are the best headphones I have ever heard. The actual 'sound quality' is far better than any speaker (within reason.)

With a centre vocal the sound appears roughly 5 inches in front of the face, rather than inside the head like ALL other headphones*see below* I have tried. The rest of the soundstage is spread right round the head and stops a bit behind the ears. With ALL other headphones I have tried the soundstage is either left, centred in the head or right.

Compared to my speakers which are Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10's (£800) The soundstage is danm similar! The area between centre and the left right is less accurately pin-pointed but are still strongly present. The size also seems about the same. Although its smaller, because it is so much closer it appears the same.

In terms of transparency they are in a world of their own. With a good recording such as Norah Johns it can sometimes be pretty freaky as the sound just comes from nowhere all around you with pin point accuracy, in perfect quality and detail. To me it feels like wrapping myself up in a blanket of perfect sound wub.gif The same pin point accurate soundstage is still their with speakers but just doesn?t have the wrapping your self up factor happy.gif

Basically if you like the way speakers present music, AKG K1000 are a MUST MUST MUST try!

They NEED at least 3days of full burn-in and also a good amp. They need a proper stereo speaker amp. I am happy using my Cyrus, but on some recordings it can come off as a bit too bright. If I had the money I'd get a valve amp.

**Grado RS1 (£600)

Grado RS2 (£450)

STAX something (£450)

Senn HD 600 (£180)

Other cheap ones..

Edited by Tenson

lekguan, in short, before you write headstage off, you should at least take a listen to a pair of cans with a solid soundstage like..cd3000s wink.gif heh Its a different experience, not necessarily worse.

tenson, damn, that writeup you did just rekindled my K1000 curiosity. where can I get them on a loan basis? which shop? blush.gif

Those UK prices for the Grados are really prohibitive. You're better off getting from the US.