Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Soundstage

Ablaze, I got mine from Meier Audio. But I am in England so I expect there is a better place for you to get them.

The prices for the Grado's were just what the shop told me, I'm sure they could have been haggled down quite a bit. But it is still probably best to buy off internet if you are budget consiouse.

Mr Tenson,

what a....hmm..."seductive" description of AKG1000 w00t.gif

my left brain tells me buy! my right brain tells me don't buy! I got a prob, must meditate again to the cool down the desire heeheehhee tongue.gif

Gees, the K1000 really piques my interest now.

Anyhow, it's rather unfair to compare cans with speakers in the soundstaging department. One has to undergo a lengthy process of trial and error to find the best speaker placement in the room to achieve the best balance of imaging and soundstaging. Once achieved, the music can envelop the listener with pin-point imaging too. Speakers will also "disappear" from view. A few methods eg Golden ratio offers a good start.

Headphone users do not have to undergo this cumbersome process but the entire link from cables to cans have to be matched to achieve the desired imaging/soundstaging. Comparatively, I reckon soundstaging of speakers setup in an ideal environment (room size, controlled room modes, speaker placement etc) should surpass that of cans. Just MHO.

Edited by Mackie

Gees, the K1000 really piques my interest now.

Anyhow, it's rather unfair to compare cans with speakers in the soundstaging department. One has to undergo a lengthy process of trial and error to find the best speaker placement in the room to achieve the best balance of imaging and soundstaging. Once achieved, the music can envelop the listener with pin-point imaging too. Speakers will also "disappear" from view. A few methods eg Golden ratio offers a good start.

Headphone users do not have to undergo this cumbersome process but the entire link from cables to cans have to be matched to achieve the desired imaging/soundstaging. Comparatively, I reckon soundstaging of speakers setup in an ideal environment (room size, controlled room modes, speaker placement etc) should surpass that of cans. Just MHO.

Well Mackie if you get the K1000 the RKV should not have any problem drving them I guess.. 2Watts is definately enough...

So when can I pop over for a listen of the K1000

It's time for me to step in, I guess.

To : Mackie

Re: Gentle Reminder

The line "End of the Road for Me" has become an all too familiar tune which I've heard recently yawn.gif. It's time for me to do the policing and put you back right on track. laugh.gif No K1000 for you! sleep.gif

Regards,

Northern Oak

I love throwing the spanner into the works so here goes... During my brief stint with the AKG K1000, I was very impressed with the amount of detail that the K1000 can eke out. I've only tried it out on two solid state amps & I feel that it really needs an amp that has good midrange emphasis as without it, it is can sound a little nasaly.

sh*t!

Now you got my adrenaline going and my hormones raging! Maybe I should get one and try, or better still, persuade Mackie that he really needs the K1000 to compliment his RKV.

Go for it dude! You know you want one but don't blame me when you look in the mirror with these "King of Dorks" earspeakers!

hoho....so expensive...hehe...next time must pop over to have a listen...so Northen Oak and Mackie, who will get one for himself? rolleyes.gif

how much is k1000 in SG? Damn it, you people are making me want to spend money.

btw, blaze, stop fantasizing with your CD3k.

Not sure about the prices in SG but...

Headroom lists them at US$549 (before shipping add US$40 FedEx International) whereas Meier-Audio at US$595 shipped.

Gosh! I didn't expect such a large amount of interest in them!

To all of you that say you are interested in the K1000 but do not like to spend the money, I say just give them a demo! Perhaps you could do a joint buy between a few of you and then take them to the next SG 'phones meeting? Then take them back after if you don't want them.

About the RKV... I have heard great things about it being matched with the K1000. However, 2 watts is only enough when the impedance is matched. Which I know the RKV does, but the K1000 are designed to work with an amp expecting a 8ohm load. When driven with a matched impedance they are said to sound very thin and all around not as good. I have not tested this! Though both Pete Millett (who designed an amp just for the K1000) and AKG themselves say this.

don't blame me when you look in the mirror with these "King of Dorks" earspeakers!

I kinda like their look biggrin.gif

http://www.geocities.com/fuzzey_door/images/dork.jpg

This was taken during a recording session with my friend... I don't really have any excuses lol.gif

Edited by Tenson

Tenson, you are indeed a very brave man!