Sign in to follow this  
jasonhanjk

Help me choose a grafic card

I am really serious but also want to have fun.... tongue.gif

Now, should I choose a ATI 9600 or a ATI 9500 and mod it to 9700. cool.gif

If you are low on budget why not get GeForce 4 Ti-4800/4200. Solid cards. nVidia offers good bang for buck for lower end cards. ATI is expensive, unless u really want a high end card and have money(6-700) to spare, get nVidia. my 2cents

current ATI 9500 can only do a "soft-mod" to 9700

earlier ATI 9500 can be "hard-mod" into 9700pro!

i have a ATI 9500pro o/c to 330/660

It all depends on your needs ma fren.........any card will do good if ur not doing any stressful stuffs on ur com (i.e graphics designing, games, movies).

biggrin.gif

Suddup with the radeons. They suck.. They benchmark well.. but they suck, botchy drivers and software bugs galore

I agree with Wortel.

I bought the ATI all in wonder 8500 DV for $400 plus and now cannot play game running on P4 1G ram. Ati web said is a bug.... Sigh...

Nvidia new grafic card is still a bit problem. At mid-range price, ATI still leading in performance...

i daresay that ati's drivers now rival nvidia's for quality.

application problems are typically a failure on the part of the application designer, not the fault of the driver writers.

Once bitten twice shy like they say. I bought their old ATi RAGE and got screwed upside down when they decided to drop the promised Win2k driver support, stating that the card is not suitable for use on the platform.

Fortunately, I managed to sell it at 75% of the price and got myself a GeForce DDR. Never looked back since on nVidia.

i daresay that ati's drivers now rival nvidia's for quality.

application problems are typically a failure on the part of the application designer, not the fault of the driver writers.

Why should all programmers conform to ATI?

ATI should get their act together.

nVidia is the one cheating in benchmarks. ATi newer ones (especially the 9700 core) is very good. Image quality surpasses nVidia Geforce FX (except 5900 which wins in speed, somewhere near, if not similar image quality as well as better coding for FSAA)

If you can afford, ATi Radeon 9700 Pro all the way man.

worthy buy...

*puts on flame armour*

Ive been a nvidia evangelist for quite some time but the way they have handled themselves the past few product cycles have lemme put it nicely...

SUCK... Driver quality has dropped to practically zero and incompatibilities and glitches are slowly increasing. After reading a few indepth reviews on how the new FX cores work, its very efficent in a way BUT current software does not support most of it except with hacks in newer driver versions and what is worse is that the drivers are not helping due to backward compatibility with the gf4 n below. The Radeons are doing it the way nvidia used to do by goin in with brute force and a relatively inefficent core but with alot of software compatiblity. Thats why u get the radeons blasting away the fx. Driver wise, ati has put in a LOT of work and mad props to them and they have made alot of progress the past months and ive seen drivers that do well for the job they were meant to do. In the case of ati, compatibility is slowly increasing..unlike nvidia....

how the wheel turns....reminds me of what was happening between nvidia and 3dfx...

Yup, read reviews too.... Well expect to change another new one 2 years from now, clock has start ticking....

Anyway bought it for S$334... tongue.gif

Gd catch..

im waiting for Doom3 to arrive..im pretty sure that will make the rush for all the new cards pretty worth it and drive all the top models down to more affordable prices hehe... im holding off all temptations till then...

Dolby digital 5.1 in that game...cant wait...