Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

The XIN Super Micro is out

They may bedelayed for two weeks pending new parts to arrive. Wonder if my freebie amp will be delayed too mellow.gif

Edited by N@Z

Thinking of getting this amp to go with my new Ety Er-6's/Shure E2. Anyone has any comments?

Also, what would be a decent price to pay for a 2nd hand supermicro?

Thanks.

Edited by Absolute0

Actually someone on head-fi offered to sell his to me. I know nothing about amps, so any advice would be helpful.

oh how much is he selling? It is the best amp if you really cannot have a big one. It is really really small.

Not too sure, need advice first before I work out a price with him.

Some really noobish questions (I tend to fail my physics, esp. electronics/electricity related stuff...), if you guys can pardon my ignorance:

• What is an op-amp, as opposed to a pre amp or tube amp?
  • What's the diff. between digital and analogue volume control?
  • Would it be possible to connect the amp to the headphone jack if my portable source has no line-out? What's the diff. between a true line-out and an optical line-out?
  • What is XinFeed? Something like crossfeed?
  • The site says that a mini-to-mini interconnect cable is needed to use this amp (connected to the volume control side). Where does this cable fit (which jack)? Where can I get one?

That's about all for now. Pretty basic stuff I presume, appreciate any answers.

Thanks.

Edited by Absolute0

OK, I can answer a few questions. digitial VS analog volume pot. The difference is that digital goes by stepping. Thus, you may experiecen this: 1 step up - too loud. 1 step down- too soft. However, the XIN has 48 stepping IIRC. That would not be a problem. Analogue control you can exactly turn to the volume you want. But it is too big (in the case for super micro).

Xinfeed is crossfeed

Just any mini-mini cable will do I guess. It can be found at any electrical shop, though they are not exactly portable, because they are thick and heavy. Thats why its better to get one of his cable. a mini is just a normal 3.5mm headphones jack (the lower end headphones one, not the big phones jack. Almost all portable player use this 3.5mm jack out.)

Optical line out is digital data transferred by an optical cable. Optical is usually purer and less inteference, and possibly higher fidelity. But being digital, you need a decoder. More for home theatre usage.

The current digital volume control used by Xin if I am correct in recalling goes up/down in 1db increments therfore it will not suffer form the problem mentioned. I used to own the SuperMini version 3 with the single digital volume 'button'. The current SuperMini & SuperMario (aka SuperMicro) has twin buttons i.e. one for up & the other for down. The differences in sound I can't say. Most people like the analog version due to it's more tactile feel & it's something familiar. I like the digital version as it makes the amp more compact without any protuding knob. The main disadvantage of the digital volume used in this application is that it cannot take more than 12V hence why Xin warns that on the SuperMini with digital volume & external battery booster, the total voltage should not be more than that to prevent the digital volume control from frying.

Example of a pretty basic mini to mini cable with small 90 degree angle 1/8" jacks.

user posted image

Photo courtesy of HeadRoom

Something a little better from Kimber Kable.

user posted image

Photo courtesy of HeadRoom

This is used assuming your source line-out is a 1/8" socket like on a PCDP/iPod etc.

Basically, line-out is an unamplified electrical output for hooking up to an amp. Headphone out is amplified for use with, surprise-surprise, headphones. Optical-out uses an optic cable & requires it to go through a DAC (Digital to Analog converter) before it can go to an amp.

XinFeed is Xin's version of a minaturised crossfeed.

The SuperMicro is a technical tour de force. Imagine having fitted all those components in around the size of a AAA battery!

That has been very helpful, thanks lekguan and N@Z!

More questions:

The supermicro would be a great portable solution, but how well does it work with home rigs? Is it possible to get it locally?

So basically it is not advisable to connect the amp to the headphone jack?

Anyone else who has any experience with XIN amps care to comment on it?

locally, no. If u do not need portable, maybe you should consider something larger. Might be more value for money. And more suited for home use. And amps which are locally available so they are more convenient.

Edited by lekguan

I'm not aware if any one of us have heard the current iteration of SuperMini let alone the SuperMicro, mine is still pending with Xin. The only info you will get is on Head-Fi from the lucky few that got the 1st generation of SuperMicros. The current one is supposed to give the META42 headphone amps of the same price a real run for it's money. As soon as I get mine I'll pit it against my Tangent MINT META & KurtW META. Maybe even the PortaCorda II too.

The SuperMicro is designed to work from the headphone-out too but ideally a line-out would improve the sound even further. Hence as a home amp it will work quite well too. Based on my experience with the SuperMini V.3 It knocked the socks off the Headroom Total Airhead. It had better clarity especially the highs & punchy bass. Bare in mind it has it's limtations compared with larger more dedicated amps but for that tiny size it is an amazing little amp.

locally, no. If u do not need portable, get something larger and more value for money.

I'm curious? Without even having heard it you're giving advice against it. Having said that, I think the original poster question would be better answered by people who have heard a few portable amps. Having only heard an Airhead, Total Airhead, Supreme, Porta Corda I do tend to lean on the side of "bigger" amps that use non micro parts for durability and easy part replacement issues. As for sound, it's all about system synergy.

Not quite as small but a sweet looking amp nonetheless about the same price. And looks fairly well specced too.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=47450

I'm curious? Without even having heard it you're giving advice against it. Having said that, I think the original poster question would be better answered by people who have heard a few portable amps. Having only heard an Airhead, Total Airhead, Supreme, Porta Corda I do tend to lean on the side of "bigger" amps that use non micro parts for durability and easy part replacement issues. As for sound, it's all about system synergy.

Ah no. I see it is super packed and really super packed. Really lack the big buttons for home use. I feel that it would be better off for us to use somthing larger for home. I'm sure no one wants to run an amp which needs the use of battery at home. No DC adapter. sleep.gif

Edited by lekguan