Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

The XIN Super Micro is out

Somehow I felt compelled to post this picture.... cool.gif

Yes, thats actually an Airhead(with *gasp* batteries!) hooked up to a full sized CD player (sacriledge!! tongue.gif )

post-2-1066220168.jpg

Edited by av98m

That's how I started into headamps as well wink.gif with a pair of Grado SR80. Plus HD600 & ER6. It all went downhill after that!

Most portable amps like the Airhead, PC2 do have the ability to be powered from an ac-dc adapter. Others like the Mint and META can be built to have one.

The main issue with using a portable amp in the home setup is gain. The portable amp has high gain to accomodate the low output (usually 0.6 volt) of portable players. Home CDPs tend to have higher outputs (usually 2 volts) hence the amt of volume control is rather limited.

My 2¢

Home CDPs tend to have higher outputs (usually 2 volts) hence the amt of volume control is rather limited.

My 2¢

Yes, I find setting the volume level is a little bit trickier with the Airhead when hooked up to the CD player. rolleyes.gif

Slightly OT, I was wondering why my Airhead recently seemed to be noisier when using dc power, but fine on batteries. Then I saw the surge protector posts in the solid state thread, took a closer look at my newly purchased power strip, and noticed for the first time the words surge protection on on end. I switched to an older power strip with no such markings and problem solved, no more extra noise from the Airhead. w00t.gif

Edited by av98m

Surge Protectors normally suck big time and are for computers - computers don't give two hoots about noise. Generally get a linear regulated AC-DC converters (not the switching types found in most lap top AD-DC converts).

My Airhead suffered from clipping when used on my CDP. No such problems with the Total Airhead or any of my other portable amps so far.

The main issue with using a portable amp in the home setup is gain. The portable amp has high gain to accomodate the low output (usually 0.6 volt) of portable players. Home CDPs tend to have higher outputs (usually 2 volts) hence the amt of volume control is rather limited.

My 2¢

Even then, gain can be reduced.

blush.gifohmy.gifunsure.giflol.gif

But that was from another guru, Dr. Xin. tongue.gif

Edited by Absolute0

Owners of cdps with variable output such as those by Marantz can lower voltage gain to accomodate portable headamps but I don't fancy the idea of adding a potentiometer in between the cdp-output/amp-input.

Will attenuator plugs/ attenuated I/Cs cause major degradation to the sound quality?

My SuperMicro is finally on it's way!

Nice!

Im glad that its finally on its way to you. I eagerly await yer impressions N@Z.

i'll like to see some review on the super micro.

was just looking at the site yesterday.