Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

The XIN Super Micro is out

Not no one, maybe not a lot of people.

Not no one, maybe not a lot of people.

I'm one of the weirdos who uses a portable(airhead) as a home amp. rolleyes.gif

And if its raining heavily or I wish to listen to music anywhere else but in my room, I simply disconnect the airhead from the cdplayer and hook it up to my discman instead. Of course, its best to have a larger one for home use as well as a portable, if budget permits. But it does not necessarily mean that portable amps are no good for home use. headphone.gif

Edited by av98m

yeah thats the whole point. You can plug in to the mains, of course people will use it at home. Imagine using only batteries (as in supermicro), cannot plug in to mains, how many will still want to use it at home?

Just get a couple of rechargeable batteries. Not really that difficult...

Just get a couple of rechargeable batteries. Not really that difficult...

Yup, not all of us are opposed to changing batteries regularly. yes.gif

That's a small sacrifice you have to make for the portability you get. Anyway the batteries should last for a few days, depending on the duration of use/day.

oh really? well then its good. biggrin.gif

Abs0: Well, I was saying using AT HOME ONLY, not bringing it out. So portability is not an issue here. Thats why I say people usually find it a hassale to use batteries AT HOME.

Ermmm... I think you misunderstood me.

What I meant was that if you were to have a portable amp which is suitable for use at home, like those that Barradio suggested (Portal Corda 2 ,Emmeline XP7, Meta 2 and PPA) and by any chance they cannot be plugged into the mains, the portability would sort of make up for that inconvenience.

In a nutshell, portable amps can be suitable for home use. The inconvenience of having to change batteries regularly is a sacrifice worth making for the portability of the amp. This is provided that the price and the sound quality of the portable amp is not compromised as opposed to full-sized home amps.

Hope that helped clear things abit.

I've modded a Porta Corda to take either a 9V battery for portability or attacjed to a 9V 500mA ACDC basestation at home. BTW the ACDC adaptor will give you an extra edge in terms of power to drive those difficult cans. biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

Both my MINT META & META42 is designed to be able to run off a wallwart for home use. I find the PortaCorda II to be quite power efficient than my META that I don't need to replace the batteries 2 to 3 times longer. That's before you factor in that the PCII can run off a wallwart as well. Even the (Total)Airhead can be powered using wallwart.

The SuperMicro might not be able to be used with a wallwart as there is no provision for it unless you mod it but the SuperMini with the external booster capability can be easily made to use a wallwart with a 9v type clip.