ablaze

Sony technicians

My Sonys came back a few days ago. They work great now. but I don't think the technicians @Sony are "audiophile" people. I asked about driver-matching and I got a "huh?", In the end I just asked if the sound was "balanced" (I didn't think I would've needed to speak so layman-ly to a tech shee) I asked what could've gone wrong, and they (actually, its a "she" and yes, she's the technician) said "hard to say..maybe you played your bass too loud" .. I'm not too impressed. Ah well..at least it sounds great again and they gave me a discount plus it took all of a week only.. rolleyes.gif

Technican's job as described below (trust me, I work in an electronic firm):

Main Objective

Find fault -> fix fault -> check equipment is working fine -> return to customers

Actual Case

Cannot find fault -> Change parts -> Cannot work -> try another part -> cannot work -> try another part -> finally can work -> (in ablaze's case) fix one side might as well fix the other -> check equipment is working fine (as long as both side got sound can already -> return to customer and come up with some "smoky" answers as to why the fault happens -> Smoke screen only work for the average Joe

Sadly, I think that was what happened to my cans. I really don't think there was any fault with the left driver but she said (very technically I must add rolleyes.gif) that it didn't sound right (I think her exact words were "the bass not so good"), and then, trusting that she was the technician and would know..I went ahead. Now on retrospect..maybe I could've saved myself some money there. ah well..

I've painted a picture in my mind that not once was a multimeter used, and when she "tested", all it was, was some canto-pop (no offence to fans of this genre wink.gif) she was playing and when she heard both sides got sound "can already" biggrin.gif

The technicans I have seen so far (no offense, mates) are exactly like what I described it to be. When fault occurs, they would just change anything they want, so long as they think the problem is fixed, only for me to find out the next day that the tester is all screwed up by them.

I think this problem arises when the technicians themselves don't have any interest in the equipment they are servicing or are not experienced. It's a real shame that consumers are at the mercy of this sort of thing. It's bad enough that shops are reluctant to allow auditions. It's amusing though that the story is the same everywhere although I'm sure there are places where customer service/satisfaction is taken seriously.

dry.gif what's with canto pop

I wub.gif them okay?

heheh anyway ablaze gd to see your can alive and kicking again!!

quick quick post a review once your amp comes in tongue.gif

what is your source btw

ooh... yeah.. that's what I thought.. I am also using my soundcard.

I think it's the bottleneck..

but it's very hard for me.. as I spend most of my time in front of the comp .. so the logical way is to hook headphone and amp to them..

someday I hope I can get my own cd player .. but then again cds aren't cheap.. I still prefer mp3s.. huge collection to choose from.. do not have to switch cds..

It will be great if they can come up with really good soundcard that sounds on par with good cd player.

why don't you get a m-audio sonica? It has analog and digital out. Should be much better since the dac is external of the laptop. And you can still access your collection of mp3. The only thing you'll need is a usb port.

yeah.. that's what I had been thinking..

but I have to do a review.. now, if only someone who has it can lend me.

coz I don't want to get something and realize that the improvement is very subtle,

yap smile.gif

my yamaha chip soundcard not too bad though laugh.gif

It will be great if they can come up with really good soundcard that sounds on par with good cd player.

have you been been missing my threads about stereophile (highly-)rated soundcards like the

RME Digi96 PAD/PRO/PST (US$280++)

DAL Carddeluxe (US$369)

(these two, together with the Lynxone and lynxtwo are considered the best)

at least get an M-audio Audiophile 2496/Revolution (US$149, $99)

Echo Mia (US$179)

a list of a few sound cards that easily rival a "normal" CD player. Revo best bang for buck smile.gif

hehe.. I using laptop. Maybe I try sonica

Sony needs to hire me to be one of their technicians....

I will individually plot frequency response sweep for both transducers, a harmonics distortion sweep with test tone at 1KHz and present these graphs to Ablaze when they come over to collected his cans .....for a headphone of this calibre, one would expect nothing less than this....

Happy?

(Audio)

HAHA laugh.gif now I'd be DAMN satisfied with service like that. heheheh w00t.gif

"for a headphone of this calibre"..ironically, other than the cost of the replacement parts, it didn't feel like they treated it any different than if it were a $20 sony "stree-style" headphone.. dry.gif

to them, your headphones are just another headphone. Just bigger and weirder looking. sad2.gif

Sony charges damn high price for their repairs. They wanted to charge me $160 for repairing my discman. Doesn't seem to me that they want to find out what's wrong. They just replace the whole damn part and ask you to pay for it.