ahgoh7

Newbie - a decent amp...how much?

hmmm...

sounds tempting...

I also considering whether to get a A/V receiver to go along with my DVD player...

think i need more time to do more research and decide wat I should go for...

thanks for all the info

rolleyes.gif

Just in case if you didn't notice, I think tanghy is doing some interest check on the Grado RA-1, perhaps you get it from him after you auditioned it? BTW, tanghy is in Perth.

Meta42 is miles ahead of the cmoy and apheared imho.

Actually, if you tweak an Apheared amp appropriately, it'll sound better than a META42 on some low impedance cans.. Hehe.. Mainly the power supply portion and biasing the A47 into Class A with Cascoded Jfets.

The RA-1 Clone... Yes... I know that one... But it's hard to get the opamp. And ordering from Mouser (the only known source besides flying to Japan) requires a minimum order since we're overseas. It's about US$100 I think... Enough to buy 222 of the opamps...

But the amp is extremely easy to build though.

I believe the JR4556 has now become NJM4556AD(also high current opamp) in New Japan Radio catalog. The NJM4556AD can be found at RS at $1.60 only.

Hmmm... That's interesting. They didn't previously have it. But anyway, I'll be interested in securing a few pieces to try out.. LoL....

Hi,

since we're on the topic of headphone amp, i came across a website that talked about EarMax Pro. Does anyone know any agent that brings in those cute tube amps with Output Transformer Less (OTL), Class A Triode design......remember MBD used to bring in few years back ?

firefox: is your avatar senn eH2270? ooh.. so nostalgic. that was my first can.. and what introduced me to head-fi.org blush.gif

Hi,

since we're on the topic of headphone amp, i came across a website that talked about EarMax Pro. Does anyone know any agent that brings in those cute tube amps with Output Transformer Less (OTL), Class A Triode design......remember MBD used to bring in few years back ?

I've got one smile.gif not bought locally though..

guy: that should be a HD570. he's nuts about those cans smile.gif

wink.gif thanks

firefox: is your avatar senn eH2270? ooh.. so nostalgic. that was my first can.. and what introduced me to head-fi.org blush.gif

Those are HD570's... Conincidentally, I also own the HD270 (identical to EH2270's but older and slightly uglier). My first pair of "proper" headphones.

Big help u guys are :-) Poor sod ask for headphone amps and all this talk about op-amps etc.

Good starter amps that will better most economy receiver : Creek OBH11, Grado RA-1, Airhead & Porta Corda (last 2 are portable units but can be used at home if you get an optional power supply - regulated please), Corda HA-1 (mk I at the new sale price ;-) The last 3 have crossfeed.

One level up: EarMax Pro, Corda HA-1 (MkII), Corda HA-2, Gilmore (havn't heard this though).