ahgoh7

Newbie - a decent amp...how much?

Hi! Newbie here..

topic is as above

thinking of getting SR-60 ( tot it's avail @ below $100 )

saw that Creek - OBHsomething is the one to go for

am i right?

how much is it??

btw, is it easy to DIY a headphone amp

Firstly, Music By Design at Adelphi sells the SR60 for perhaps $120.

Regarding the amp, there's a wide variety of amps available in the market but you may need to audition the amps first before you decide. In my opinion, Rameish is the best person available to help you and he's our local Corda amp dealer.

Finally, it is not difficult to DIY a headphone amp but you got to decide which amp you wanna build, e.g. META42, CMoy etc. www.headwize.com is the perfect source for the designs but you got to find the components first. If you don't mind being rip-off by RS-Components, they have all the components for CMOY available. For META42, you can contact tangent at head-fi.

creek obh-11 goes at 360

creek obh-11se is around 650

estimated cost of building a DIY amp??

wat's the difference between META42, CMoy ??

sorry, VERY NEW in all these.....

Cmoy is a simple textbook implementatin of a non-inverting opamp application. You'll be surprise that some expensive headamps just simply use this circuit and charge a premium for it. The sound for the cmoy is decent with opamps like OPA2132, 2134. But it's a fun beginners diy project. I'm using the OPA2134, and it can't drive my Grado125(low impedance,32ohms) to loud volume. Lot's of distortion.

For low impedance headphones like the Grado, try the Apheared'47. It's like a curret boost version of the cmoy. http://headwize2.powerpill.org/projects/sh...pheared_prj.htm

For meta42, visit tangent's site, http://tangentsoft.net/audio/meta42/index.html . Esmtimate cost for whole project is about $250 when you use quality components. Meta42 is miles ahead of the cmoy and apheared imho.

Edited by jtfoo

yeah..

ahgoh: you will be surprised that a $250 amp's improvement might not be apparent to your ears(unless you have trained audiophile ears).

It's the nature of amp to be costly.. coz there are not many company producing amps.. so no competition = premium price.

Unlike headphones.. quite good competition.. so the price is quite fair.

Nevertheless, if you are still very interested, get the creek obh-11. very good amp. save you the trouble. I don't have meta42 so I can't compare the two.. but creek is touted as a good entry level solid state amp.

Receiver? hm... depending on your receiver.. but chances are the sound will not be as awesome as through the amp.Every component that has headphone jack has kind of amp circuit.. but it isn't very good one.. so the sound output is mediocre.

Welcome ahgoh7!

If you can, try to audition them to see whether you can tell a difference with a dedicated headphone amp & a receiver. If you can't then there's really no need to get a dedicated amp. Some people can hear even minute difference whereas some need to train their ears to be able to hear ANY difference at all. I'm sort of borderline between the two. I personally prefer to ask myself does the sound fulfill my criterias for me to enjoy listening to the music. If you can afford it, go for it otherwise you should buy more music, broden the music you listen to. This will make you appreciate the equipment more.

that's true.

when I see good equipment( be it source amp etc), I always ask myself whether the price is justified by the performance.Even though the product has gained favourable reviews you need to trust your own ears.

Afterall you are the one who will be living by that setup, not the reviewers.

Hi! Newbie here..

topic is as above

thinking of getting SR-60 ( tot it's avail @ below $100 )

saw that Creek - OBHsomething is the one to go for

am i right?

how much is it??

btw, is it easy to DIY a headphone amp

I suggest u drop rameish a mail or something since ur going for grado cans and u need an amp. Hes in my opinion the best guy to deal.........not forgetting he's a grado fan himself. He could probably drop u some valuable advice when u drop by his place for an audition on his corda range of amps.

headphone.gif

Thanks for all the info, guys!

guess I have to wait since my exams are coming soon....

hope school can close down for the time being.....

innocent.gif

ahgoh7,

Could you tell be if this system (ie amp and headphone) will be used with a portable or home CD player?

home CD player

it's actually a dvd player

model number is NAD T550

heard that it's quite good as a cd player...

no time to try it..

Well then in that case you should get a better headphone than the SR-60. An SR-125 or 225 whold be better choices. And, the Grado RA-1 works very well with the SR series of headphones. You may also try the Corda line - HA-1 should be in the ball park and in my opnion is better and more versatile as you can tame the brightness by using the 120 ohm jack and there's crossfeed. Either way (with an RA-1 or Corda HA-1). Creek also has a certain synergy with Grado headphones. Unfortunately, I sold the Creek OBH-11 SE to Guyferd.

Obviously, I use Corda Amps to drive my Grados. I also have a Grado RA-1 which you can use to compare.

Edited by Rameish