Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

solid state lifetime

As you all know, I have a gilmore v2 amp and most of the time it is switched on. The amp is only switched off about twice a week when transporting.

I am quite worried about the reliablity and the problems that might occur if amps are switched on for too long. In particular caps, resistors and LEDs worries me the most. how long will each component last if switched on continously? I see 5 LEDs in my amp.

Is it better to switch off during the night or better to leave it on the whole day? will there be any noticeable differences in sound quality as the parts are slowly dying off? sorry if it may sound stupid but my electronics sucks.

I am also worried because I leave my HA-1 on once I come back from sch(that is 3 pm to 2-3 midnight) everyday. yes.gif

Caps have a working life of 65,000 to 100,000 hour. Just don't exceed that will do.

Never seen a LED or Transistor dead before. tongue.gif

In theory, life span of components tend to be shortened by power surges during on/off and overheating. If one listens to his audio system very frequently throughout the day, it's best to leave the system on. I have a friend who leaves his system powered 24/7. However, I wouldn't recommend this for tube gears in the economic perspective as a change of tubes will come sooner.

In practice, I only listen to the system after work and not exceeding 3 hours per session. In which case, I prefer to power up my system 1-2 hour in advance before listening. After which, I will leave it off. However, I do leave the cdps powered on for days in a row if the system would be in use daily.

Whatever your choices may be, do shut down your system and remove the plugs from your wall AC sockets during thunderstorm. Although your building/house is grounded, leakage current/EMI from lightning stikes can still kill your equipment even if it's not switched on.

Edited by Mackie

Ok, I know this from computer, should apply to most electronic devices. If you use them for a long time, leave them on. Many electronics devices are destroyed by the heating-cooling cycle. For example, if you turn on and than off a com every few hours, it will spoil more easily as opposed to turning it on for the whole day (well, the price is the electricity bill).

If you use it everyday, then leave it on, most caps will last longer than the rated 100,000 (anyways even at 100,000 hours that shd be 11.41 years!). I suspect you'll be board with the Gilmore by then LOL.

If however, you listen to music only on weekends, then swithc it on Friday morning. By Saturday everything will be nice and hot.

The only time you should switch it off is during electrical thunderstorms and when you go on holiday.

Russ Andrews (of Russ Andrews UK fame), claims he had a discussion with a retired fire chief and there's nothing in an amp to combust.

yea i had a cd player killed during a electrical storm and went without one for about a year so i know the pain. nowadays when it rains, i'll just wake up automatically and remove the plugs from the socket and go back to sleep, just like a reflex action. w00t.gif

Ok i think i better switch off my amp during the night and switch it on only when i come back after lessons. thanks everyone!

Most home nowadays come with a circuit breakers which are usually fast enough (faster than the olde fuse boxes). I've been told that trouble with surge protectors is they tend to be noisy - ie you can hear them. As such I have never used them. Maybe the newer ones are better or there are some for audio purposes out there. Try Audio Asylum - there are some very knowledgeable people there (and some rather spectacular fruitcakes as well LOL.)

At our present dwellings we have such a circuit breaker whereby it will cut out just before you hear the thunder. It places the importance on having a UPS though to prevent equipment shutting down abruptly. Either way, there is still a possiblity of power surge since the equipment is hooked up to the mains. You can never tell where lightning may strike so if you want to be truly safe, unplug the equipment completely.

I recall my old Cyrus 1 integrated amp had a fast blow fuse to prevent incoming power surges. It was specifically put there to protect the sensitive internals. Does the Gilmore have this?

I'm not too sure about the fuse things in gilmore. but i am not too worried about lightning storms since i remove everything when i hear the first drop of rain.

The fast blow fuse's function was to blow out if the input current increased even a small amount. I remember having to keep alot of spare fuses because at the place where I stayed my room was affected by minor surges caused by the fridge's thermostat switching on & off. A surge protector would have solved my problem but I wasn't aware of it at the time. dry.gif