Azrafael

Need your wise opinions.

I need some help on buying a new set of cans,

Basically I need a high bass, ample mids and solid treble.

Basic genre of music I listen to: Metal, symphonic.

Budget < $200

There are just too many makes in the market and I cant test them all. For those who listen to the kind of music above and have a good reccomendation for a headphone, please advice me on the model and location for the best price.

Cheers.

Second that although the treble will sound a little bright.

Yeah I don't want the treble to be too bright for the music i listen too might crack my ear drums with extreme brightness....

Btw I intend to use it with my discman and the headphone's should be an all rounder outdoor usage.

Another vote for Grado.

If you have 200 budget, go for grado sr-80. Great metal/rock/pop phone! Basically anything that's hard, exciting, dynamics, lively tongue.gif

Doubt I'll be getting anything with noise-cancelling as it effects most of the treble.

I'll check out on the SR-80 today then.

post-2-1066111545.gif

Edited by Azrafael

If you listen to more heavy metal than classical go for the Grado SR-80 (a bit below budget) or SR-125 (a Bit over budget).

However, if it's 50/50 - audition a Beyer Dt-531 (I have not heard this can myself but if it's anything like its more ex sibling - the DT-931 then it sld be a good choice.

However, please note that both the Grados and the Beyers are open cans and may not be suitable outside bec of the noise factor.

An added bonus is Grados sould good without an amp (but do improve with one).

Happy Listening.

Btw I intend to use it with my discman and the headphone's should be an all rounder outdoor usage.

The SR80 is great for indoor use but I'd advise against it for outdoor usage, due to the very open nature of the headphones. A lot of sound will leak out (and in). Don't get me started on the long and thick cord.

For example, I have to turn off my PC when listening to my SR80s in my room because I would otherwise hear the hum from the PC (partly because I listen to music at very low volume these days). And when I take off the headphones I can hear exactly what is playing on it. There are times I'm tempted to use the SR80s as speakers instead.

Now imagine using the SR80s outdoors, in noisy buses and MRT trains. no.gif

Just my 2-cents, based on actual experience and ownership of these headphones. For indoor use, I highly recommend them.

Edited by av98m

If closed is the criteria, in order of preference: (what I've owned)

1. Beyer DT250 (80 ohm version) - Outside of your budget but maybe better bet used. Best sound IMO (of the 3 in this list) but might look odd for use outside.

2. Sony MDR-7506(V6) - With modded beyer DT250 earpads it will quell the brightness but the mids might sound a little recessed. But if you've never heard better you wouldn't be able to tell. Foldable but as big as the DT250.

3. Sony MDR-D66SL (aka Eggos) - This is probably the best overall for portable, stylish, foldable & sounds fairly good (surprisingly airy for a closed can like the DT250) but I personally prefer the sound of the 7506.