Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

CD-Rom control

i hav a new problem now... ohmy.gif i just change the CDrom output cable, used a low-lost higher quality stereo cable from SLS rather then the PC audio cable to link up to the headphone amp, cause i was hearing a little distortion from the setup, but the better cable made it "worst" wacko.gif

i no longer hear the distortion but the new cable is picking up the drive noise hammer.gif

i can hear the disc spinning when the music in not playing, when i press the stop button , i can hear the spin down sound in the headphone also during eject, i can hear the gears moving lol, wonder if a DAC setup like what Mackie said will make a difference...

Have you tried reading IBM or INTEL spec?

not sure if the Intel & IBM specs can help, cause u will still need to know how to program a micro-processor, build a PCB for it with the controls and maybe hav a small LCD display thrown in.

i seen those DIY mp3 players on the web, but there is a lot of details in there that i don't understand...anyone try building one before?

or do they come in a kit from? i know u need a decoder chip for those mp3 players, in my case i think i can bypass that and just use the CDROM controls alone, sounds simple at first but now... no.gif

Yes. Even using microcontroller, they basically outputs '1' and '0'. Using switches is the easiest way out.

I am now searching the souce to control it.

Yes. Even using microcontroller, they basically outputs '1' and '0'. Using switches is the easiest way out.

I am now searching the souce to control it.

biggrin.gif do share any info u can find

i also think its possible to control it directly from the pins on the IDE port, thought i seen it somewhere but can't remember, if can then only need to count the pins & connect them to a switch

Re: How to control CDrom IDE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Horta <nabaut@attglobal.net>, pci-sig@znyx.com

Subject: Re: How to control CDrom IDE

From: "Gardiner, Charles" <charles.gardiner@mchr2.siemens.de>

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 08:20:36 +0200

Organization: Siemens AG, ATD TD5 AM

References: <002101bfa891$0d13f800$7fba6520@internet>

Sender: owner-reflector@www.pcisig.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it is a little off topic but maybe I can help anyway.

I expect you will need to control the CDROM in one of the so called PIO modes. I can

recommend the following info sources:

ANSI Standard X3.221-1994 (ATA)

ANSI Standard X3.279-1996(ATA-2)

ANSI Standard X3.298-1997(ATA-3)

They used to be available on the Quantum web-site, but I have just seen that they

have redesigned their site and my links are broken. I'm sure a site or web search

might turn them up somewhere unless ANSI have objected to them being made available

for free.

There is also a good book by Schmidt, called 'SCSI Bus und IDE Schnittstelle' which

appeared by Addison-Wesley. I only have the ISBN of the German original edition ISBN

3-8273-1417-9, but as far as I remember, they have done an English Translation.

I hope this helps a bit. Otherwise.....we could do it for you

Regards,

Charles

>I expect you will need to control the CDROM in one of the so called PIO modes.

>recommend the following info sources:

>ANSI Standard X3.221-1994 (ATA)

>ANSI Standard X3.279-1996(ATA-2)

>ANSI Standard X3.298-1997(ATA-3)

These are old. Try www.t13.org, ftp.t13.org etc., you need at least

ATA-4 to know about ULTRA-DMA. There is also a mailing list, t13@t13.org.

Dimiter

thanks jason

i been to the site before, also download some of the documentation, but i think they deal more with the standards of IDE rather then the actual practical use if it mellow.gif

will continue to search kicking.gif

yalol. Just went to microsoft and found the CD rom ide is being control using C. A bit dissapoint.

You need to find the jedec spec.

I can hear the disc spinning when the music in not playing, when i press the stop button , i can hear the spin down sound in the headphone also during eject, i can hear the gears moving lol, wonder if a DAC setup like what Mackie said will make a difference...

Don't even think about outboard dac for now. Your change to a more revealing pair of DIY interconnects has worsened your ordeal as inherent weakness in the transport are cruelly revealed. I can only pay compliments to these interconnects.

By introducing an outboard dac, U will be plagued by more problems such as jitter which can be heard in the form of sharp spikes during music playback. RFI will have a greater impact on this setup too.

Anyhow, the higher resolution of the dac will once again exposed the inherent problems in the source and to a larger degree over that of the interconnects.

Lastly, I think U are hearing the motor noise of your cd-rom drive because of the lack of isolation by your cans and not really through the transducers right? blink.gif

Lastly, I think U are hearing the motor noise of your cd-rom drive because of the lack of isolation by your cans and not really through the transducers right? blink.gif

I heard that before from my can, not the noise isolation problem...

So it maybe the same thing... wacko.gif

same here , not isolation problem, cause i can't hear it with headphones off, not even when i put my ear next to the drive, so i can only think of one source, the new cable

think thats what they mean by "zero loss" lol.gif cause all the noise gets picked up too, and amplified by the amp

the previous CDROM i was using seems to be better, i did not notice any such noise, its a Philips, manufactured in 1997.

but that drive is too old, i need to leave it on for abt 1/2 hr before it will play any disc.

the new drive is a sony 52x, anyone else hav this unit in their PC? maybe can test and see if it has the results with a headphone amp connected to the soundcard headphone.gif