Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

CD-Rom control

hi guys

got a new challenge for u here biggrin.gif

i hav a CD-Rom connected to a headphone amp using its line out, but i want to hav the play - stop - next track - previous track funtion, without using the PC

i already hav the case ready with the Rom install, together with its own ATX power supply, i also hav a small PCB board in there that taps the 12v from ATX to power the amp, the voltage can be adjusted for different amps, from 3 - 12 v yes.gif

here are some pics of the setup

user posted image

user posted image

the amp is a Rolls HA204, this is ment for daily use, not really high-end stuff, i'm also thinking of putting the amp into the case since there is enough room in there, anyone got ideas happy.gif

but first i hav to figure out how to control the player, now i just use the play & stop buttons infront, but i think these can be controlled from the IDE port of the drive

Edited by tropicalrips

Now that's something different! A lil bit of matching timber tone lacquer & you have a nice compliment to the ATH-W1000!

Just wondering whether putting the amp inside the enclosure would cause interference. Sorry I'm not much help here, hopeless at DIY me.

biggrin.gif u think Audio Technica will let me use their "special" lacquer from japan if ask them nicely ? laugh.gif

i think power supply will cause interference cause its ment for a PC, but i may be able to build a sheild for it

If you're interested in getting a smaller and slimmer power supply (abit smaller than 3/4 the size of normal PSU.. almost 1/2 size), just saw a micro-atx psu rated at 300watts at SLS today. Its retailing at $66. The shop name is M Technic. With that a slim audio deck casing should be possible yes.gif

yes, i saw it too i also know the boss of the shop biggrin.gif

but that power supply breaks down easily no.gif i think due to its size, its ment for a micro atx case

my problem is not the PSU but the controls of the CD-ROM drive, i think u need some kind of micro-processor to sent commands into the IDE port to control it

i hav some info for this from the web, all of it is from ppl building stand-alone MP3 players

looks like very "chim" stuff blink.gif

Haha I remember reading about DIY stand-alone mp3 player decks last time when there were no mp3 players around. party.gif Almost everyone was using off the shelf computer parts. And if I didn't remember wrongly, instruction to control the player were passed thru the serial ports.

Actually yr cdrom can already do the functions u mentioned above. Stop, play and next, to play previous track, you just have to press down on both buttons on the front bezel. Of course for those of us without 2 buttons on our cdrom... we'll out of luck tongue.gif

Another method would be to hunt down one of those old creative cdroms that came with infra and a remote control. The remote control is able to control the cdrom without going thru the PC.

If you are going to hunt for another CD Drive, get a CDP instead

Edited by lekguan

i thought it would be more fun if i build it myself w00t.gif and not take the easy way out lol

i do hav that creative cdrom u talk abt kenshinz, lol.gif

but that too easy, what i wanted was something that can be kind of module form, so if the drive dies i can just change it with another cheap one. the new drives now only abt $30, and i also hav some extra parts laying around like the PSU from the ATX casings after i upgrade

one more thing i'm looking into is that most if not all the new drive also hav Digital out, its the connector with only 2 pins, this means if i can get a D/A convertor then the actual quality of the drive inself will not matter party.gif

err, if you could rest your CD drive on somewhere else more stable, without the noisy PSU fan below vibrating, it should make a difference.

yep, once everything come together i will build a new case for it, with the PUS on one side and the drive & everything else on another.

this current unit was build for my mom who use it in the kitchen when she cooks laugh.gif , then i bought her a mini combo player

so thought i try something else with it kicking.gif

Haha I know what you mean, the sense of satisfication u get when u build something yrself is hard to explain. Do keep us update on the progress, if you managed to complete it I would be very interested to learn from you, I also happen to have some surplus of computer parts which could be put to good use.

no problem Kenshinz yes.gif

but i'm going to need help hammer.gif

most of the things i need don't come off the shelf except for the drive and PSU

one more thing i'm looking into is that most if not all the new drive also hav Digital out, its the connector with only 2 pins, this means if i can get a D/A convertor then the actual quality of the drive inself will not matter

I have to differ. Even in a transport-outboard dac setup, the transport does contribute much to the resultant sound. A similar analogy would be a mini-cooper on F1-formula wheels (albeit they don't fit in real life)...................just an analogy afterall.

Edited by Mackie