Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

CD-Rom control

the previous CDROM i was using seems to be better, i did not notice any such noise, its a Philips, manufactured in 1997.

but that drive is too old, i need to leave it on for abt 1/2 hr before it will play any disc.

the new drive is a sony 52x, anyone else hav this unit in their PC? maybe can test and see if it has the results with a headphone amp connected to the soundcard headphone.gif

Have you checked out DIY Audio, there're some threads in the digital section with regards to using the CDROM as CDP. Those guys there are friendly and helpful too.

thanks bro

will look into it

ok got a start point now...need a microprocessor chip "8051 CDRom Controller" now to figure out where to get it, and learn how to program it w00t.gif

hey guys, it looks like there is also a lot of ppl out there looking at the same idea, to hav a cheap, easily replacable CD transport, that hooks up to their amps

http://www.diyzone.net/article.php?sid=195

very interesting link above take a look , but its in chinese...i think

some interesting pic below, looks cool don't u think cool.gif no need for expensive CDP anymore w00t.gif

user posted image

user posted image

DIY amps + CDP wub.gif

I must say that they look very, very pretty!!! wub.gif

yes they do wub.gif

there's talk abt external DAC , buffer using supplus EDO ram , mp3 surport , CD-text...going to be a big project biggrin.gif

i think my problem with the new drive could be its speed, 52x is too fast and that generates noise, the old drive was 8x, so i did not notice the noise

Check out CD-PRO2 if you have got a chance, it's one high-end CD transport which I'm planning to get.

its looks real cool too, anyone in SGH using this? looks like a very good base for a top loading CDP

anyone know what is the price for it in S$ rolleyes.gif

its really nice, but a little off my original idea of having an everyday, cheap/easily replaced CDP

its also too expensive for me... unsure.gif and most ppl no.gif

i hav switch back to the old drive laugh.gif opened up the drive to clean up the lens a little, seems to do the trick

the noise is still there but not as obvious as with the Sony 52x drive.

one more interesting thing i observed with my setup headphone.gif ...the noise doesn't show with the ATH-W1000, so i think it may be true some ppl say this headphone can hide inperfections in the source or recording

i hear the noise most when using my FC7 (audio technica)

one more interesting thing i observed with my setup  ...the noise doesn't show with the ATH-W1000, so i think it may be true some ppl say this headphone can hide inperfections in the source or recording

I think there's more to it than what U've mentioned about the W1000 sonic trait. I don't think any audio gear can distinguish what is perfect and imperfect and any reduction in signals comes with caveats. For instance, reduced treble extension gives a smooth and analogue sound but soundstaging, ariness and details may be reduced in tandem too. Henceforth, if your findings are indeed true, it's not a virtue for W1000. Could it be the cable that rejects RFI/EMI better?

Could it be the cable that rejects RFI/EMI better?

could be unsure.gif

there's somthing writen on the box about the cable used for the W1000, but its in japanese, here's what i can read that is not japanese

" 3.0m6N-OFC + Hi-OFC " "99.99% (4N)"

there is also this "8N-OFC" don't know what is this abt