Sign in to follow this  
zap

Good compact integrated amp/cdp/radio for office

Hi All

I'm a total newbie to cans headphone.gif so please go easy on me. Would appreciate any advice on a good-sounding, compact integrated amp+cdp+radio for office use (compact in a sense that it can be placed in a corner so that boss would not noticed it), something like Linn Classik?? (but way too ex for me). Also recommend a headphone to go along with this. My budget is no more than a grand? Possible? If not can stretch a bit by building up over a time period?

Thanks guys. biggrin.gif

You can always check out the tivoli system + a low impedance headphones to suit the type of music you listen too. BTW what kind of music do you listen too most often?.

http://www.tivoliaudio.com

biggrin.gif

Thanks headphonecrazy, was searching around and saw your posts here and other forums on the tivoli. Have you got one yourself? Btw, wat is low-impedance headphones and recommendations?

Me usually listen to pop, rock, class 95 and power 98 type music...for background while working. But music quality should be good or at least decent.

Sharp SD SG-11, available at buy.com for US$130, exclude shipping. Digital amp with 2.8Mhz sampling frequency. Usual Retail price is US$599. There's a big hooha going on at minidisct.com raving about this system.

BTW, it can drive mid-high efficiency speakers, plays CD, MD and has a built in tuner.

The Tivoli Model 1 is a very, very, very good radio. Don't be put off by the fact that its Mono, not Stereo. Excellent sound, reception. I love the tuning knob and led indicator(signal is strongest when led stops flickering and is at peak brightness, so you know when to stop adjusting) party.gif

Never tried the cd player and subwoofer though.

post-2-1067353072.jpg

Tempting, maybe I should pick one up on my next trip to SG.

I've heard the tivoli radio at tee's house.

Reception is very good and the voice comes very mellow and warm!

Very nice thumbup1.gif

I just popped by the shop in Adelphi. It's not called Unicorn anymore at least not on the door. But same address #02-33.

The Tivoli Model 1 costs about S$210, and the Tivoli PAL costs about S$320+ (forgot exactly).

Really like the PAL for its portability and designer cool looks, but frankly its a bomb for its limited functions.

Tivoli Model 1 looks more affordable. Except you need to plug it somewhere.

Wonder if we consolidate our orders, we can bargain for a better deal?

Anyone got kangtow?

This is getting to be a bit of a habit now! But I like it, especially if the kangtow/kaki/lobang can get good price! yeah.gif GO TEAM BARGAIN HUNTER!

I just popped by the shop in Adelphi. It's not called Unicorn anymore at least not on the door. But same address #02-33.

The Tivoli Model 1 costs about S$210, and the Tivoli PAL costs about S$320+ (forgot exactly).

Really like the PAL for its portability and designer cool looks, but frankly its a bomb for its limited functions.

Tivoli Model 1 looks more affordable. Except you need to plug it somewhere.

Wonder if we consolidate our orders, we can bargain for a better deal?

Anyone got kangtow?

Sounds good, count me in at the moment. How about the Tivoli cdp? Anybody has comments on their cdp? Thanks.

Did some search on the Tivoli website on the Model 1. Strange. the US 12v version costs $99.99, but International CE 220V version costs €179.00. Another UK website quotes £85.10 Excl VAT (Outside EU).

That makes S$210 not too shabby. If we get a couple of orders, can try to knock off another $10 to $20 each, I guess.

PM me if you decide to take the plunge. wink.gif

Dunno about the cdp. wacko.gif

I was quoted S$290 for the Tivoli PAL by Alpha Audio a month back.

BTW I think all Tivoli products are manyfactured in China, and since I'll be going ther soon guess what wink.giftongue.giflaugh.gifrolleyes.gif

They might be much cheaper up north.

Hi Headphonecrazy,

You're right. http://www.tdctrade.com/imn/03091803/consu...sumerele019.htm

Well, if you happen to pass by any radio factories in Southern China, "tomp-pang" one Model 1 (Black), please!

tongue.gif

[Edit: Recently, I was in China and found the latest Nike backpack Epic 1 (Made in China) but was disappointed to find the China Nike shops selling for the same price as advertised in US. Guess the price control is quite strict. Dunno if Tivoli is as strict.)

Did you ask Alpha Audio the price of Model 1? (Now I think they try to "kotok" me!) ohmy.gif

Cheers!

Scriberex

Edited by Scriberex

wait, check the denon dcm-31 first before doing anything.

i'm very sorry i have no linkages or no pricing info but iirc i saw it selling for sg500 once at sls ground floor.