red_ryder

Newbie - need recommendations for headphones

Help, need some expert advice! I'm going to buy a pair of headphones mainly for watching movies and some listening to music at night. I guess my priorities are:

1. Sound quality

2. Comfort (can wear for 3-4 hrs)

Budget $150 - $200.

thanks in advance!

welcome.gif

What kind of music do you listen to and do you mind raising your budget a little to include an amp? Or are you stuck with that budget?

Acutally it will be more for movies and television than music, but anyways I listen to mostly classical, instrumental music. For vocals I prefer unplugged type or pop ballads. No rock music for me. biggrin.gif

Why do I need to buy an amp? Can't my regular home theatre amp do the job if I plug the headphone in?

More questions, closed or open? Full size Circumaural (Full sized) or supra aural? Normally for comfort full sized open headphones. How about Philips HP-890? Well below $100. If you don't really listen to music much then it's not really worth it for you to get a headphone amp or apair of headphones more expensive than $100.

El Scorcho is also selling the Ultrasone HFI-650 at a special $160 (new) which is great value & good for both music & movies. It is full sized but closed. In terms of build quality it is alot better. Check out the classifieds.

what is supra aural?

apologises for straying off topic

Edited by augustineRS

The earpads sit on (or partially on) your ears & not completely around it.

Correct!

the audio techinca's new AD series might be a good choice for u red ryder yes.gif they are comfortable and the price is also very resonable, i think the ATH-AD300 is below $100, i tried it for a while at SLS and they sound quite good, i think they are close to the Beyer DT331 but it has more kick in the bass area headphone.gif

ATH-AD300

post-2-1067962710.jpg

Edited by tropicalrips

With that budget, I recommend Beyer DT931. It's open-design but a few guys here will advocate its sound quality.

user posted image

Isn't the DT931 over my budget? I saw another post in the forum saying that it's > $300

I think you can consider the ultrasone deal, many have said that it sounds pretty good.

Ultrasone is an unknown factor to me but if Mackie can get a HD-931 for S$200 it's a no brainer. Even 2nd hand DT-931 go for that much or more on head-fi.

Ahhh DT931.... very nice cans... but can be bright at times... A good amp to go with it would be the Corda HA1 or the HA2 out of the 120 ohm jack.