Sign in to follow this  
matbon0013

Close Encounters of the first kind

It seems there is a small following of vinyl users in this forum. Care to share your experience new and old? You are more than welcomed to post your Record player plus pictures too!

I myself is in the proccess of revisiting and rediscovering Vinyl replay after having abandoning it for the last 8 years or so. And am very excited to say the least. Up on the spotlight is my ageing Roksan Xerxes (soon to be sold off) and Linn sondek LP12.

Will eventually upgrade the LP12 to current specs and at the moment looking around for a suitable Moving Coil cartridge.

I'm open to discusions.............

That will be great! I look forward to it.

Mackie, to answer your Roksan question in the other thread. The entry level Roksan record player is the Radius, and over the years has evolved to its fifth revision in the form of the Radius 5.

The Xerxes was their first record player IIRC, and that was subsequently replaced by the Xerxes X which cured the sagging top plinth issues with the original Xerxes.

And their Flagship is the TMS.

The Xerxes was their first record player IIRC, and that was subsequently replaced by the Xerxes X which cured the sagging top plinth issues with the original Xerxes.

And their Flagship is the TMS.

The TMS is a very musical player but sadly it 2 is plagued by the "sagging plinth problem". I was told the problem is solved in the new version. I think Absolute Sound in Singapore is still the agent for them if I'm not wrong. rolleyes.gif

Yes Absolute Sound is still the Roksan representative in S'pore and Malaysia.

Sam, can you let me know how much the AT-OC9 when you fnd out later? Thanks!

I will post the picture of my Xerxes later this evening. Hopefully

my dad sold off all of his vinyl collections a few years back.... all bought during his teenage years... sigh.. would have been vintage by now

hehe he was a rock n metal fan....

Hmm...okay I have a CEC ST-930 MKII turntable with Audioquest PT-8 arm with Kimber TAK AG Din to RCA interconnects and Grado Platinum Cart. My Phono Stage is EAR 834P with Ei 12AX7 tubes x 3. The CEC comes with a seperate power supply speed control unit which can play 33.33, 45, and 78 rpm.

The Rega?

Me also using or seldom using the Rega Planar 3 /RB300. My counterweight was mod by Gabriel of Zenn Audio. He claims he's doing the exact same mod as the Origin mod. Also change the fine wire to VDH. Cartridge using Denon DL103.

My Rega is about 15yrs already..

Well I worked my butt off during school holidays and starved later during NS to earn the right to own a LP12. I was just bared out of teenage years and saw how my pals drool. It cost a layman a few months salary in those days. It was fitted with Linn Basik+ and a cartridge I can't recall. All my software were LPs and still retained to this day.

Later, CDs entered the foray and talks arose that LPs are gonna go in the way of a dodo. I was working hard (still is) and travelled a lot on the job. I sold my LP12 to a friend and this was the greatest mistake (amongst others that affected my livelihood) I'd made in audiophilia. I simply couldn't forget the sound of LP12. However, I managed to re-entery the dark side via a Thorens TD321 + SME series 2 + Goldring 1042 cartridge quite recently. A lesser TT than LP12 but in the end, I'm more than satisfied with the music. The silver lining is, I retained my LP collection and bought quite a lot of new ones while living in HK. I think my collection surpasses a humble 500 figure but not sure as I'm still moving the LPs to my home after a long time in storage.

Edited by Mackie

Mat, how much does Roksan Radius cost in those days? Is it a good sounding unit? My pal's set comes with outboard Roksan phono stage and power supply.

Here's my Xerxes, acquired when I was studying in UK. The whole period of acquisition took place the best part of 9 months on a students allowance and part time jobs happy.gif

post-2-1068187903.jpg

Edited by matbon0013

Here's my Thoren TD321 with Lenco mercury-contact trigger light.

post-2-1068188047.jpg

Edited by Mackie