Sign in to follow this  
Q00

Recommendations for a new portable...

I killed the sheriff...

err... not exactly but i killed my R900 md player.. sigh R.I.P. no.gif

Its been dropped and smacked around due to me being constantly clumsy and on the move but today i seem to finally have killed it. Im now looking for a successor to this old faithful which has served me faithfully despite its flaws.

This is a major setback for me because i was saving up for a portable amp but it would not make sense to get a p-amp if i have NOTHING to amp, but it does give me a good excuse to finally upgrade. blush.gif

1)No pcdp cause im always on the move and the shock protection is always not enough so something like an ipod/zen or something solid state with loads of space cause i intend to encode it at relatively high bitrates.

2)Must be tough as nails cause me being clumsy on the go will always result in it getting smacked and dropped around... ppth.gif

Im this little bugger but its currently out of stock

Anything u guys wanna recommend pls dun be shy tongue.gif

Edited by Q00

i may consider getting back another md player but something with netmd capability so that it will be easier to record than my older player which i used with the optical out. It was really time consuming no.gif ... what do u guys think of this?

MZ-N910

There is this unique feature that caught my eye... an integrated headphone amp!

getting smacked and dropped around...

then i suggest a flash-based player

not even a HDD is safe in ur hands [jus joking]

note that muvo2 has 2 versions

the one i see in sg is the 1.5GB HDD type

there's a sports type [yellow colour, like those sony sports models]

that one is 1GB flash type

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo_2/

or maybe iriver iFP-500 series

includes FM tuner

http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=iFP-599T

of course it will be more ex, in terms of dollars per MB

want something simpler?

a muvo nx? [hint, hint, heehee]

i mentioned the muvo2 in the first post and it does look very interesting and will be my first choice... the specs are very tempting with the 98db snr... while the iriver has a lesser snr. Im looking for something that can drive my 7506's well and will sound great amped as well.. only thing is that the muvo2 is out of stock and nobody in sg stocks the 599t

currently looking up for info for anything regarding the ipod g3 vs the zen nx...

if u want the ultimate in durability and sound quality, get a sony r50 MD player. although it is not the smallest by today's standard, it is one of the most rugged players ever built with a real LINE OUT. coupled with a portable amp, audio nirvana! one word of warning though, it is not small and does not have mdlp nor netmd.

i was so impressed that i bought 2. the last one was from cash convertors for $139. i've seen many in yahoo sg auctions and ebay but prob not at $139.

Add in a nice little SuperMini or Supermicro & you're good to go!

It would seem that priority goes to paying customers so mine is on hold once his orders for SuperMicros/Minis (with AD8620 OPA's) are satisfied before he can ship mine. Seems fair enough but the wait has been quite long since he announced I'd be getting that freebie amp. Anyhoo, at least it would mean I'm getting a proper up-to-date version rather than a preproduction one.

I'll probably need a nice flexible & short SGH Fishball cable to go with it since I'm not going to pay for a Plastics One mini to mini (Ideally).

Looks like im gonna go with the harddisk based solution because frankly i cant be bothered to do slow copies of songs i have onto md anymore. Awaiting for pay + Hari-raya 'bonus' to get me one of the Zen Nx's... Ipod's are outta my reach financially and it just seems like everybody doesnt like the ipod at the head-fi forums, and while i think the iriver ihp-120/100 is the BEST one ive seen available locally, its 600+ price tag is too prohibitive but it does seem to be very feature complete along with a line out w00t.gif

You know, it's been bugging me eversince, you avatar really reminds me of the DT770pro's driver enclosures!

Does the Zen comes with a line-out?

Hahaha... i also noticed but i didnt think anybody else did...

Nope, the zen only has headphone out but the jukebox 3 line out has been said to be very good but it doesnt look very good and portable. Only thing that i have going for the Zen is that its the cheapest one at 400+ locally for the 20gig model.

The iriver ihp-100(10gig)/120(20gig) also has line out and it gets my vote as one of the best looking and most feature complete hdd based portable out there only complaint is the meagre hdd size by the gargantuan ipod(30gig) and zen xtra(60gig) .

Edit: I think it would be cool if headphones had the extensions upward as a feature to improve sound like organs.. lol.giflol.gif

Edited by Q00

Edit: I think it would be cool if headphones had the extensions upward as a feature to improve sound like organs.. lol.giflol.gif

Hmm... hehe maybe they could double up as heat exhaust (aka chimmy pipes) for extended long usage too w00t.gif

Hahaha... id like to see a headphone with inbuilt air-conditioning... a controlled climate in yer ears and keeps the sound sounding good also. lol.gif